New Grails innovative web-application: Kameleoon

New Grails innovative web-application: Kameleoon

elvanor
Hi all,

We are pleased today to showcase the Grails community Kameleoon, a web design application developed in house over the last year.

This application is quite special so I suggest anyone interested to go to our online demonstration page (http://www.kameleoon.com/demos) to get a feel of what it's about. Basically you can plug our service into any existing website, and it allows you to redesign the web site with a browser GUI. That GUI makes request to a backend which - you guessed it - is 100% Grails based.

On the online demo you can enter an URL and it should automatically setup the page for use with Kameleoon. In the case it won't work, you can try one of the official demos who have been tested more deeply.

It was great using Grails to build this innovative webapp. There were fun technical challenges and we sometimes solved them in an even funnier way (in one area, we use Groovy to actually write code that will be on the fly translated to Python - cool stuff, I really could not believe it would work when I first wrote that :). We are officially releasing this product today and hope to get the buzz started about it, so if you like it, please tell all our friends about us :)

This is a first version, so we are interested in any feedback you can give us.

Thanks and enjoy Kameleoon!

Jean-Noël Rivasseau

Re: New Grails innovative web-application: Kameleoon

Björn Wilmsmann-2
Impressive.

The user interface is rather complex and a bit finicky for my taste
but what you can do with it is really impressive. Good work :)

--
Viele Grüße / Best regards,
Björn Wilmsmann

Re: New Grails innovative web-application: Kameleoon

Gert Wohlgemuth
very impressive!

--
Viele Grüße / Best regards,
Björn Wilmsmann

Lead Developer - Fiehnlab, UC Davis

gert wohlgemuth
[hidden email]

work:
http://fiehnlab.ucdavis.edu/staff/wohlgemuth

phone:
(530) 383-0974

coding blog
http://codingandmore.blogspot.com

you're "a long time dead", as they say

Jean-Noël Rivasseau

Re: New Grails innovative web-application: Kameleoon

Sabst
This is a great application, congratulations!

Do you consider a mode where a standalone set of, say, CSS files is produced and directly integrated into the third-party application?
Always going through Kameleoon can be a concern at the production stage for some apps (latency, availability...).

Maybe the feature is already there and I just missed it.

From the Grails standpoint, it would make sense to consider a Kameleoon plug-in, esp. if that answers my earlier point above, no? Just an idea...

Cheers,
Stéphane.

Jean-Noël Rivasseau wrote:
[...]

smaldini
Nice application, nice idea, nice design, congratulations !

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 10:58 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
This is a great application, congratulations!

Do you consider a mode where a standalone set of, say, CSS files is produced and directly integrated into the third-party application?
Always going through Kameleoon can be a concern at the production stage for some apps (latency, availability...).

Maybe the feature is already there and I just missed it.

From the Grails standpoint, it would make sense to consider a Kameleoon plug-in, esp. if that answers my earlier point above, no? Just an idea...

Cheers,
Stéphane.

Jean-Noël Rivasseau wrote:
[...]

Stéphane MALDINI
doc4web consultant
http://fr.linkedin.com/in/smaldini

Re: New Grails innovative web-application: Kameleoon

John Fletcher-3
hahah that is cool!

Re: New Grails innovative web-application: Kameleoon

elvanor
Hi Stephane,

Yes, the standalone mode is possible (all is required is actually a periodical fetch from our CSS hosting servers to yours), but for most people we don't recommend it because:

1) It would take a bit of time to setup,
2) Our servers are optimized for serving static content so they will probably deliver faster than yours anyway :)

It is something that is mostly suitable for big websites that prefer to keep hosting their contents themselves, or that worry about availability.

Regarding the Kameleoon plug-in... it would be easy to code such a plugin but does it really make sense? I mean the integration is exactly similar to Google-Analytics, you just have to paste two lines of code in your GSP pages. I guess that making a plugin for that is a bit overkill. Is there a GA plugin for instance? I guess not.

Jean-Noel

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 1:58 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
This is a great application, congratulations!

Do you consider a mode where a standalone set of, say, CSS files is produced and directly integrated into the third-party application?
Always going through Kameleoon can be a concern at the production stage for some apps (latency, availability...).

Maybe the feature is already there and I just missed it.

From the Grails standpoint, it would make sense to consider a Kameleoon plug-in, esp. if that answers my earlier point above, no? Just an idea...

Cheers,
Stéphane.

Jean-Noël Rivasseau wrote:
[...]

Directeur

Kameleoon - morphing the web
http://www.kameleoon.com/

Re: New Grails innovative web-application: Kameleoon

elvanor

Thanks for all the people that had a look, and of course for the positive reactions :)

Just started a twitter account for our product: http://twitter.com/morphtheweb
Any retweets welcome ;) and good luck on all the other Grails cool projects out there.

Jean-Noel

Re: New Grails innovative web-application: Kameleoon

burtbeckwith
I agree with you about the plugin, but there is a Google Analytics plugin: http://grails.org/plugin/google-analytics

Burt

> [...]
> > of the official demos who have been tested more deeply.
> >
> > It was great using Grails to build this innovative webapp. There were fun
> > technical challenges and we sometimes solved them in an even funnier way (in
> > one area, we use Groovy to actually write code that will be on the fly
> > translated to Python - cool stuff, I really could not believe it would work
> > when I first wrote that :). We are officially releasing this product today
> > and hope to get the buzz started about it, so if you like it, please tell
> > all our friends about us :)
> >
> > This is a first version, so we are interested in any feedback you can give
> > us.
> >
> > Thanks and enjoy Kameleoon!
> >
> > --
> > Jean-Noël Rivasseau

Re: New Grails innovative web-application: Kameleoon

Sébastien Blanc
Impressive web app!
Nice to see some french innovation stuff with grails ;-) !
Seb
ps: yes there is a GA plugin but yes can a bit overkill but in the same time making a plugin & publish it is so easy ...

Envoyé de mon iPhone

Le 10 mrt 2010 à 20:51, Jean-Noël Rivasseau <[hidden email]> a écrit :

[...]

From the Grails standpoint, it would make sense to consider a Kameleoon plug-in, esp. if that answers my earlier point above, no? Just an idea...

Cheers,
Stéphane.