New features on beta.grails.org

pledbrook
Hi,

I have pushed a new version of the website to beta.grails.org that
adds new features over and above the existing grails.org site.

Plugins forum
=============

There has been a forum dedicated to plugins for a while, but not
announced. It's hosted at Nabble so you can use it either as a forum
or interact with it via email. The link is on the plugin portal home
page - just look under Helpful Links.

At the moment there is only one sub-forum for all the plugins and one
for plugin announcements. If there is lots of activity around
particularl plugins or sets of plugins, then we can create sub-forums
for those. For example, it may make sense to create a sub-forum for
plugins managed by the Grails Plugin Collective. Comments and
suggestions welcome!

Wiki page and plugin deprecation
================================

Administrator users have the ability to deprecate both wiki pages and
plugins, the results of which can be seen here:

    http://beta.grails.org/URL+mapping

and here:

    http://beta.grails.org/plugin/acegi

If you come across a wiki page or plugin that you believe is out of
date, superseded or unmaintained, please raise a JIRA issue containing
the page or plugin name and with the component set to "Website". Also,
if a page has been superseded, please provide a URL for the new
location.

New plugin publishing mechanism
===============================

The new website no longer trawls through the master plugin list on a
regular basis to update its plugin information. Instead, it has a REST
interface that allows you to notify it of plugin releases. In order to
use this feature, you must install the latest version of the
'maven-publisher' plugin and follow these steps:

1. Configure the beta website as a plugin portal in BuildConfig.groovy

    grails.project.dependency.distribution = {
        portal id: "beta", url: "http://beta.grails.org/plugin/"
    }

2. Execute the publish-plugin command to release a new version of your plugin

    grails publish-plugin --portal=beta

3. Wait for a tweet to appear from @grailsplugins!

You can also notify the portal without publishing the plugin:  grails
publish-plugin --portal=beta --pingOnly

The new 'publish-plugin' command allows to specify extra information
in your plugin descriptors, for example:

    def documentation = "http://pledbrook.github.com/grails-gwt/"
    def license = "APACHE"
    def organization = [ name: "SpringSource", url:
"http://www.springsource.org/" ]
    def developers = [
            [ name: "Peter Ledbrook", email: "[hidden email]" ],
            [ name: "Graeme Rocher", email: "[hidden email]" ] ]
    def issueManagement = [ system: "JIRA", url:
"http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GRAILSPLUGINS" ]
    def scm = [ url:
"http://svn.grails-plugins.codehaus.org/browse/grails-plugins/" ]

Currently, only the "documentation" and "scm" fields affect what is
display in the plugin portal, but more of this information will find
its way into the portal pages.

Please give the beta site a try and let me know what you think. As
long as there are not major issues, I plan to move this across to
grails.org in the next week or two.

Regards,

Peter

--
Peter Ledbrook
Grails Advocate

Re: New features on beta.grails.org

Sebastian Hohns
thanks.

something is wrong with the tabs in the plugin portal with Opera.

i use def grailsVersion = "1.3.0 > *" which is resolved to a "?" instead
of "1.3 > *" (see jasper plugin for example)

there are a few w3c validation errors

Re: New features on beta.grails.org

pledbrook
> something is wrong with the tabs in the plugin portal with Opera.

Also a problem with the current grails.org site. Seems to be a
Javascript error in Opera. I won't have time to look at it in the near
future I'm afraid, but feel free to raise a JIRA issue for it.

> i use def grailsVersion = "1.3.0 > *" which is resolved to a "?" instead
> of "1.3 > *" (see jasper plugin for example)

The new plugin release mechanism should fix this. Again, note that
this is the current behaviour of the grails.org site too.

> there are a few w3c validation errors

That does not surprise me :) Hopefully we can gradually simplify the
markup and Javascript we have. This is potentially one area in which
people could easily contribute. The source code is on GitHub and I'm
more than welcome to receive, review and apply pull requests:

    http://github.com/grails/grails-samples/tree/master/grails.org

Be aware that we are thinking of restructuring the samples project, so
keep an eye out for that.

Thanks for the feedback,

Peter

--
Peter Ledbrook
Grails Advocate

Re: New features on beta.grails.org

david_dawson
Hi Peter,

I just tried posting a plugin up using the maven publisher.

--
Publishing to Grails Central
Checking out 'grails-tomcatnio/trunk' from the repository to a temporary location

Seemed to go ok.
Now, there isn't a page for this plugin already. This didn't appear to create one, so I went to the page to make it afterwards.
First look, the page is blank.  Pressing save straight away loads some data from somewhere (my username as the author, documentation URL as http://beta.grails.org//plugin/tomcatio
It comes up with an error at the top of

* Property [groupId] of class [class org.grails.plugin.Plugin] cannot be null

No tweet appears from @grailsplugins.

When I fill in all the information on the create plugin page; on save it still fails with the same error message.

So, unable to make the page on the beta site.  The plugin works ok with grails command line though, I can install it in new apps from the master plugin repo and use it fine.

Cheers,

David.

Re: New features on beta.grails.org

pledbrook
Thanks for testing this.

> Seemed to go ok.
> Now, there isn't a page for this plugin already. This didn't appear to
> create one, so I went to the page to make it afterwards.

OK, that's obviously not working. Argh - it's an SSL handshake
exception when contacting the Grails central plugin repository.
I thought I added the SmartCom trust certificate, but either I didn't
or it's not working. I'll have to try to fix that.

It hasn't appeared on grails.org either, which suggests something is
wrong with the regular update job. Bear with me...

Peter

--
Peter Ledbrook
Grails Advocate

Re: New features on beta.grails.org

pledbrook
> OK, that's obviously not working. Argh - it's an SSL handshake
> exception when contacting the Grails central plugin repository.
> I thought I added the SmartCom trust certificate, but either I didn't
> or it's not working. I'll have to try to fix that.

I didn't restart the server after doing that, so that may be why it
didn't work. I have now restarted it, so can you try:

    grails publish-plugin --pingOnly --portal=beta

when you get the opportunity? You'll need the latest version of the
Maven Publisher plugin (which adds the --pingOnly option).

Thanks,

Peter

--
Peter Ledbrook
Grails Advocate

Re: New features on beta.grails.org

david_dawson
Sure thing.

Running publish-plugin with --pingOnly gives the following.

----
Base Directory: /home/david/Development/Source/publication/GrailsScalableAjax/tomcatnio
Resolving dependencies...
Dependencies resolved in 1112ms.
Running script /home/david/.grails/1.3.5/projects/tomcatnio/plugins/maven-publisher-0.7.3/scripts/PublishPlugin.groovy
Environment set to development
Error reading dependency distribution settings: No signature of method: groovy.util.ConfigSlurper$_parse_closure5.portal() is applicable for argument types: (java.util.LinkedHashMap) values: [[id:beta, url:http://beta.grails.org/plugin/]]
Possible solutions: print(java.lang.Object), print(java.lang.Object), print(java.io.PrintWriter)
---

I had to completely erase the project meta data from .grails to get rid of this error.

Once I did this then it seems to run as intended. The plugin page has been made, and seems to correctly reflect the plugin metadata. @grailsplugins gets an update too.

Might it be possible to populate some of the information in the pages?  Eg installation, pull the description from the *Plugin.groovy etc?

Cheers,

David.