New grails.org site launched / removal of comments on wiki/plugin pages

123

New grails.org site launched / removal of comments on wiki/plugin pages

Graeme Rocher-3
Hi all,

We have launched a new version of http://grails.org check it out I
think you'll like it as it represents a significant improvement to the
old site.

One thing I do want to address though is that in this version we have
removed the ability to post comments on plugin or wiki pages. The
reason for this is that people got the impression that the comments
area was a place to ask for support whether it be on Grails or a
plugin.

This placed a burden on us the Grails developers and the plugin
developers to monitor the comments as well as the mailing list. To
avoid this situation we have removed the comments and ask all
questions to be posted on the mailing list going forward.

Cheers.

Head of Grails Development
SpringSource - Weapons for the War on Java Complexity
http://www.springsource.com

Re: New grails.org site launched / removal of comments on wiki/plugin pages

Bashar Jawad
I love the design...does it use Grails ?

Bashar

On 7/27/09 4:58 PM, "Graeme Rocher" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We have launched a new version of http://grails.org check it out I
> think you'll like it as it represents a significant improvement to the
> old site.
>
> One thing I do want to address though is that in this version we have
> removed the ability to post comments on plugin or wiki pages. The
> reason for this is that people got the impression that the comments
> area was a place to ask for support whether it be on Grails or a
> plugin.
>
> This placed a burden on us the Grails developers and the plugin
> developers to monitor the comments as well as the mailing list. To
> avoid this situation we have removed the comments and ask all
> questions to be posted on the mailing list going forward.
>
> Cheers.

This e-mail is confidential and may contain legally privileged information.
If you are not the intended recipient, you should not copy, distribute,
disclose or use the information it contains, please e-mail the sender
immediately and delete this message from your system.
Note: e-mails are susceptible to corruption, interception and unauthorized
amendment; we do not accept liability for any such changes, or for their
consequences. You should be aware that we may monitor your e-mails and
their content.

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 1:18 AM, Fred Janon<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I like the graphic design but I wish there was a way to see all the plugins
> in one page: 55 pages to go through, 5 plugins at a time! The space for one
> plugin could be reduced a lot to squeeze more in a page and also a "View all
> pages" option.

There are 230 of them, not sure putting them all one one page is
healthy, but raise a feature request and we'll see what we can do

Cheers

> Fred
>
> On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 07:58, Graeme Rocher
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> We have launched a new version of http://grails.org check it out I
>> think you'll like it as it represents a significant improvement to the
>> old site.
>>
>> One thing I do want to address though is that in this version we have
>> removed the ability to post comments on plugin or wiki pages. The
>> reason for this is that people got the impression that the comments
>> area was a place to ask for support whether it be on Grails or a
>> plugin.
>>
>> This placed a burden on us the Grails developers and the plugin
>> developers to monitor the comments as well as the mailing list. To
>> avoid this situation we have removed the comments and ask all
>> questions to be posted on the mailing list going forward.
>>
>> Cheers.
>>
>> --
>> Graeme Rocher
>> Head of Grails Development
>> SpringSource - Weapons for the War on Java Complexity
>> http://www.springsource.com

Head of Grails Development
SpringSource - Weapons for the War on Java Complexity
http://www.springsource.com

Re: New grails.org site launched / removal of comments on wiki/plugin pages

tomas lin
Looks very nice.

Is there a reason there is not a more prominent link to the mailing
lists or Community on the main page?

To me, it feels like the SpringSource services are heavily advertised
( which is fine, they are the money folk ), but user groups and
mailing lists are somehow lost in the new re-design.

If you look at the Django and Rails websites, they both have a
prominent Community link.

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 1:28 AM, Tomas Lin<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Looks very nice.
>
> Is there a reason there is not a more prominent link to the mailing
> lists or Community on the main page?
>
> To me, it feels like the SpringSource services are heavily advertised
> ( which is fine, they are the money folk ), but user groups and
> mailing lists are somehow lost in the new re-design.
>
> If you look at the Django and Rails websites, they both have a
> prominent Community link.

There are links on the plugin portal http://grails.org/plugin/home

and individual content pages like http://grails.org/Introduction

but fair point we should have a community link in the top nav. I will
put it on the todo list

Cheers

> On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 12:58 AM, Graeme
> Rocher<[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> We have launched a new version of http://grails.org check it out I
>> think you'll like it as it represents a significant improvement to the
>> old site.
>>
>> One thing I do want to address though is that in this version we have
>> removed the ability to post comments on plugin or wiki pages. The
>> reason for this is that people got the impression that the comments
>> area was a place to ask for support whether it be on Grails or a
>> plugin.
>>
>> This placed a burden on us the Grails developers and the plugin
>> developers to monitor the comments as well as the mailing list. To
>> avoid this situation we have removed the comments and ask all
>> questions to be posted on the mailing list going forward.
>>
>> Cheers.
>>
>> --
>> Graeme Rocher
>> Head of Grails Development
>> SpringSource - Weapons for the War on Java Complexity
>> http://www.springsource.com

Head of Grails Development
SpringSource - Weapons for the War on Java Complexity
http://www.springsource.com

Re: New grails.org site launched / removal of comments on wiki/plugin pages

ququjoy
Please embed nabble or build a forum...Then people can communicate with each other easily. I mean, it's a little bit hard to find nabble for newbes.

Graeme Rocher-3 wrote
[...]

skadiy000
Hi

The Website graphics are good as mentioned by some one.

I recently started using the Grails.

1) I have noticed that the forums are not very powerful.
2) The documentation is not good.

Appreciate if some one continuously work on that too.

Thanks

[...]

Srinivasa Kadiyala

Re: New grails.org site launched / removal of comments on wiki/plugin pages

Gert Wohlgemuth
where did you look for the documentation? I'm actually pretty
impressed how well the documentation works for grails related
questions.

g.

On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 6:29 PM,
skadiy000<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> The Website graphics are good as mentioned by some one.
>
> I recently started using the Grails.
>
> 1) I have noticed that the forums are not very powerful.
> 2) The documentation is not good.
>
> Appreciate if some one continuously work on that too.
>
> Thanks
>

> Graeme Rocher-3 wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> We have launched a new version of http://grails.org check it out I
>> think you'll like it as it represents a significant improvement to the
>> old site.
>>
>> One thing I do want to address though is that in this version we have
>> removed the ability to post comments on plugin or wiki pages. The
>> reason for this is that people got the impression that the comments
>> area was a place to ask for support whether it be on Grails or a
>> plugin.
>>
>> This placed a burden on us the Grails developers and the plugin
>> developers to monitor the comments as well as the mailing list. To
>> avoid this situation we have removed the comments and ask all
>> questions to be posted on the mailing list going forward.
>>
>> Cheers.
>>
>> --
>> Graeme Rocher
>> Head of Grails Development
>> SpringSource - Weapons for the War on Java Complexity
>> http://www.springsource.com

gert wohlgemuth

coding blog
http://codingandmore.blogspot.com

photographers blog:
http://berlinguyinca.blogspot.com/

work:
http://fiehnlab.ucdavis.edu/staff/wohlgemuth

Re: New grails.org site launched / removal of comments on wiki/plugin pages

Jeff Scott Brown
On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 9:29 PM,
skadiy000<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> The Website graphics are good as mentioned by some one.
>
> I recently started using the Grails.
>
> 1) I have noticed that the forums are not very powerful.
> 2) The documentation is not good.
>
> Appreciate if some one continuously work on that too.
>
> Thanks

I appreciate the input but I will say that I am surprised.  I really
think that the user guide is a fantastic reference.

jb

--
Jeff Brown
SpringSource

Autism Strikes 1 in 166
Find The Cause ~ Find The Cure
http://www.autismspeaks.org/

Re: New grails.org site launched / removal of comments on wiki/plugin pages

aeischeid
Nice redesign guys. Good work! It will definitely be a better first impression for people at the very least.

I would echo the idea that the plugin system could be more user friendly. This isn't very thought out, but maybe a expanding menu option in the left menu box for plugin categories.

-Aaron

On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 8:44 PM, Jeff Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 9:29 PM,
skadiy000<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> The Website graphics are good as mentioned by some one.
>
> I recently started using the Grails.
>
> 1) I have noticed that the forums are not very powerful.
> 2) The documentation is not good.
>
> Appreciate if some one continuously work on that too.
>
> Thanks

I appreciate the input but I will say that I am surprised.  I really
think that the user guide is a fantastic reference.

jb

--
Jeff Brown
SpringSource
http://www.springsource.com/

Autism Strikes 1 in 166
Find The Cause ~ Find The Cure
http://www.autismspeaks.org/

Re: New grails.org site launched / removal of comments on wiki/plugin pages

Dru Devore-3
I really like the redesign of the site but I will have to agree about the poor documentation. I also am fairly new and have a hard time finding more than the simple beginner stuff. For instance it would be nice to have a better reference for the taglib and how to call the methods from a groovy file, just an example because I have been fighting with using the link method in my taglib tonight.

Great job. Is the code available somewhere so I can steel the boxes :)

On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 10:33 PM, Aaron Eischeid <[hidden email]> wrote:
Nice redesign guys. Good work! It will definitely be a better first impression for people at the very least.

I would echo the idea that the plugin system could be more user friendly. This isn't very thought out, but maybe a expanding menu option in the left menu box for plugin categories.

-Aaron

On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 8:44 PM, Jeff Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 9:29 PM,
skadiy000<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> The Website graphics are good as mentioned by some one.
>
> I recently started using the Grails.
>
> 1) I have noticed that the forums are not very powerful.
> 2) The documentation is not good.
>
> Appreciate if some one continuously work on that too.
>
> Thanks

I appreciate the input but I will say that I am surprised.  I really
think that the user guide is a fantastic reference.

jb

--
Jeff Brown
SpringSource
http://www.springsource.com/

Autism Strikes 1 in 166
Find The Cause ~ Find The Cure
http://www.autismspeaks.org/

Re: New grails.org site launched / removal of comments on wiki/plugin pages

tomas lin
I have to respectfully disagree. I find that the Grails user guide is
very good and in-depth as a complete overview of what is available
within the Grails framework without being too bogged down by details
about Groovy or many of the other technologies it integrates. It
contains more than enough information for you to build your
application end-to-end and be used as a daily reference.

There are about a dozen books, tons of articles and blog posts about
the complicated or atypical use cases in Grails. It seems unfair to
expect the user guide to cover everything available in them in such
great details. I think the site does link to books and tutorials well
enough if you can't find what you need in the main docs.

The user guide doesn't talk much Groovy, but I don't think it is its
intention. There are reference websites like the Groovy PLEAC (
http://pleac.sourceforge.net/pleac_groovy/index.html ), Groovy Almanac
( http://groovy-almanac.org/ ) and Groovy Cookbook (
http://groovy.codehaus.org/Cookbook+Examples ).

Then again, I might be completely wrong and sound like a total zealous
idiot. I'm sure that any changes you might want to contribute to the
documentations will be more than welcome (
http://github.com/grails/grails/tree/master )

Sorry for the threadjack - great work on grails.org...

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 4:08 AM, Dru Devore<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I really like the redesign of the site but I will have to agree about the
> poor documentation. I also am fairly new and have a hard time finding more
> than the simple beginner stuff. For instance it would be nice to have a
> better reference for the taglib and how to call the methods from a groovy
> file, just an example because I have been fighting with using the link
> method in my taglib tonight.
>
> Great job. Is the code available somewhere so I can steel the boxes :)
>
> On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 10:33 PM, Aaron Eischeid <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Nice redesign guys. Good work! It will definitely be a better first
>> impression for people at the very least.
>> I would echo the idea that the plugin system could be more user friendly.
>> This isn't very thought out, but maybe a expanding menu option in the left
>> menu box for plugin categories.
>> -Aaron
>>

>> On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 8:44 PM, Jeff Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> I appreciate the input but I will say that I am surprised.  I really
>>> think that the user guide is a fantastic reference.
>>>

>>> jb
>>>
>>> --
>>> Jeff Brown
>>> SpringSource
>>> http://www.springsource.com/
>>>
>>> Autism Strikes 1 in 166
>>> Find The Cause ~ Find The Cure
>>> http://www.autismspeaks.org/

Re: New grails.org site launched / removal of comments on wiki/plugin pages

Steve Krenek
Love the new look.  However, has anyone tried to update their plugin details?  I went to enter the details regarding the upgrade and got the following upon saving:

* Property [featured] of class [class org.grails.plugin.Plugin] cannot be null
* Property [official] of class [class org.grails.plugin.Plugin] cannot be null

Cheers,
Steve

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk." - Thomas Edison

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 5:57 AM, Steve Krenek<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Love the new look.  However, has anyone tried to update their plugin
> details?  I went to enter the details regarding the upgrade and got the
> following upon saving:
>
> * Property [featured] of class [class org.grails.plugin.Plugin] cannot be
> null
> * Property [official] of class [class org.grails.plugin.Plugin] cannot be
> null

Thanks for the report will look into this problem shortly

> Cheers,
> Steve
>
> On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 10:46 PM, Tomas Lin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I have to respectfully disagree. I find that the Grails user guide is
>> very good and in-depth as a complete overview of what is available
>> within the Grails framework without being too bogged down by details
>> about Groovy or many of the other technologies it integrates. It
>> contains more than enough information for you to build your
>> application end-to-end and be used as a daily reference.
>>
>> There are about a dozen books, tons of articles and blog posts about
>> the complicated or atypical use cases in Grails. It seems unfair to
>> expect the user guide to cover everything available in them in such
>> great details. I think the site does link to books and tutorials well
>> enough if you can't find what you need in the main docs.
>>
>> The user guide doesn't talk much Groovy, but I don't think it is its
>> intention. There are reference websites like the Groovy PLEAC (
>> http://pleac.sourceforge.net/pleac_groovy/index.html ), Groovy Almanac
>> ( http://groovy-almanac.org/ ) and Groovy Cookbook (
>> http://groovy.codehaus.org/Cookbook+Examples ).
>>
>> Then again, I might be completely wrong and sound like a total zealous
>> idiot. I'm sure that any changes you might want to contribute to the
>> documentations will be more than welcome (
>> http://github.com/grails/grails/tree/master )
>>
>> Sorry for the threadjack - great work on grails.org...
>>

>> On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 4:08 AM, Dru Devore<[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > I really like the redesign of the site but I will have to agree about
>> > the
>> > poor documentation. I also am fairly new and have a hard time finding
>> > more
>> > than the simple beginner stuff. For instance it would be nice to have a
>> > better reference for the taglib and how to call the methods from a
>> > groovy
>> > file, just an example because I have been fighting with using the link
>> > method in my taglib tonight.
>> >
>> > Great job. Is the code available somewhere so I can steel the boxes :)

> "To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk." - Thomas Edison

Head of Grails Development
SpringSource - Weapons for the War on Java Complexity
http://www.springsource.com

Re: New grails.org site launched / removal of comments on wiki/plugin pages

Sébastien Blanc
Nice design but maybe could you use a higher quality logo image for the front page (with some anti-aliasing )

Bas

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 7:09 AM, Graeme Rocher <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 5:57 AM, Steve Krenek<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Love the new look.  However, has anyone tried to update their plugin
> details?  I went to enter the details regarding the upgrade and got the
> following upon saving:
>
> * Property [featured] of class [class org.grails.plugin.Plugin] cannot be
> null
> * Property [official] of class [class org.grails.plugin.Plugin] cannot be
> null

Thanks for the report will look into this problem shortly

> Cheers,
> Steve
>
> On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 10:46 PM, Tomas Lin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I have to respectfully disagree. I find that the Grails user guide is
>> very good and in-depth as a complete overview of what is available
>> within the Grails framework without being too bogged down by details
>> about Groovy or many of the other technologies it integrates. It
>> contains more than enough information for you to build your
>> application end-to-end and be used as a daily reference.
>>
>> There are about a dozen books, tons of articles and blog posts about
>> the complicated or atypical use cases in Grails. It seems unfair to
>> expect the user guide to cover everything available in them in such
>> great details. I think the site does link to books and tutorials well
>> enough if you can't find what you need in the main docs.
>>
>> The user guide doesn't talk much Groovy, but I don't think it is its
>> intention. There are reference websites like the Groovy PLEAC (
>> http://pleac.sourceforge.net/pleac_groovy/index.html ), Groovy Almanac
>> ( http://groovy-almanac.org/ ) and Groovy Cookbook (
>> http://groovy.codehaus.org/Cookbook+Examples ).
>>
>> Then again, I might be completely wrong and sound like a total zealous
>> idiot. I'm sure that any changes you might want to contribute to the
>> documentations will be more than welcome (
>> http://github.com/grails/grails/tree/master )
>>
>> Sorry for the threadjack - great work on grails.org...
>>

>> On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 4:08 AM, Dru Devore<[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > I really like the redesign of the site but I will have to agree about
>> > the
>> > poor documentation. I also am fairly new and have a hard time finding
>> > more
>> > than the simple beginner stuff. For instance it would be nice to have a
>> > better reference for the taglib and how to call the methods from a
>> > groovy
>> > file, just an example because I have been fighting with using the link
>> > method in my taglib tonight.
>> >
>> > Great job. Is the code available somewhere so I can steel the boxes :)

> "To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk." - Thomas Edison

Head of Grails Development
SpringSource - Weapons for the War on Java Complexity
http://www.springsource.com

RE: New grails.org site launched / removal of comments on wiki/plugin pages

Bob Brown
Looks nicer, more in keeping with SpringSource's other sites. Good Stuff!

I found a small glitch: http://www.grails.org/Testing+Services just has
"<<Page Test>>" on it.

Cheers,

BOB

Re: New grails.org site launched / removal of comments on wiki/plugin pages

Fidel Viegas-2
Hi Graeme,

Nice work!!!

All the best,

Fidel.

Rocher<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We have launched a new version of http://grails.org check it out I
> think you'll like it as it represents a significant improvement to the
> old site.
>
> One thing I do want to address though is that in this version we have
> removed the ability to post comments on plugin or wiki pages. The
> reason for this is that people got the impression that the comments
> area was a place to ask for support whether it be on Grails or a
> plugin.
>
> This placed a burden on us the Grails developers and the plugin
> developers to monitor the comments as well as the mailing list. To
> avoid this situation we have removed the comments and ask all
> questions to be posted on the mailing list going forward.
>
> Cheers.
>
> --
> Graeme Rocher
> Head of Grails Development
> SpringSource - Weapons for the War on Java Complexity
> http://www.springsource.com

Re: New grails.org site launched / removal of comments on wiki/plugin pages

Daniel Guryca

I really like new design - great work.
As for comments ... it is a welcome change -  comments should go to mailing list.

One thing to note:

Yslow index - 51 - very poor.
This page has 25 external Javascript scripts. Try combining them into one.
This page has 10 external stylesheets. Try combining them into one.
This page has 21 external background images. Try combining them with CSS sprites.

Just joining these huge number of javascripts into 1 or 2 would make a real speed difference !

But generally again ... very nice design :)

Cheers
Daniel

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 1:58 AM, Graeme Rocher <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Ali M.
I just have one comment,

Does springsource now own Grails!, The new design surely implies this

The way I understand it is that springsource bought G2One, not Grails!
Maybe springsource now owns the Grails domain but Grails itself is
still public property right!

Would a sponsored by Springsource logo be more sensible! Or what do you think?

Regards,
Ali

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 2:58 AM, Graeme
Rocher<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We have launched a new version of http://grails.org check it out I
> think you'll like it as it represents a significant improvement to the
> old site.
>
> One thing I do want to address though is that in this version we have
> removed the ability to post comments on plugin or wiki pages. The
> reason for this is that people got the impression that the comments
> area was a place to ask for support whether it be on Grails or a
> plugin.
>
> This placed a burden on us the Grails developers and the plugin
> developers to monitor the comments as well as the mailing list. To
> avoid this situation we have removed the comments and ask all
> questions to be posted on the mailing list going forward.
>
> Cheers.
>
> --
> Graeme Rocher
> Head of Grails Development
> SpringSource - Weapons for the War on Java Complexity
> http://www.springsource.com

123