New plugin - tasks

12

New plugin - tasks

François Terrier
Hi,

I would like to create a new plugin for the grails community.

Check it out here:

https://github.com/fterrier/grails-tasks-plugin

Cheers,
Franz

Re: New plugin - tasks

pledbrook
> Check it out here:
>
> https://github.com/fterrier/grails-tasks-plugin

I get a 404 for that link.

Peter

--
Peter Ledbrook
Developer Advocate

t: @pledbrook

Re: New plugin - tasks

bksaville
https://github.com/fterrier/grails-tasks worked for me.

On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 8:51 AM, Peter Ledbrook <[hidden email]> wrote:
I get a 404 for that link.

Peter

--
Peter Ledbrook
Developer Advocate

t: @pledbrook

Re: New plugin - tasks

cdeszaq
Seems like a good idea for a plugin, and one that many of my projects could use, but without diving into the code (which I don't have time for at the moment), there isn't nearly enough documentation for me to try it quite yet.

Please add more documentation.

Thanks,

Rick Jensen

On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 10:45 AM, Brian Saville <[hidden email]> wrote:
https://github.com/fterrier/grails-tasks worked for me.

On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 8:51 AM, Peter Ledbrook <[hidden email]> wrote:
I get a 404 for that link.

Peter

--
Peter Ledbrook
Developer Advocate
VMware

t: @pledbrook

Re: New plugin - tasks

Graeme Rocher
Administrator
As Rick says please provide documentation and populate the
organization, developers, issueManager and scm properties of
https://github.com/fterrier/grails-tasks/blob/master/TasksGrailsPlugin.groovy

Thanks

On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 6:10 PM, Rick Jensen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Seems like a good idea for a plugin, and one that many of my projects could
> use, but without diving into the code (which I don't have time for at the
> moment), there isn't nearly enough documentation for me to try it quite yet.
>
> Please add more documentation.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rick Jensen
>

> On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 10:45 AM, Brian Saville
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> https://github.com/fterrier/grails-tasks worked for me.

>>> I get a 404 for that link.
>>>
>>> Peter
>>>
>>> --
>>> Peter Ledbrook
>>> Developer Advocate
>>> VMware
>>>
>>> t: @pledbrook

http://www.springsource.com

Re: New plugin - tasks

François Terrier-2
Sorry for the wrong URL, I renamed the plugin after sending this email.

I'll document it a bit more. Thanks for the feedback!

Franz

On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 9:07 AM, Graeme Rocher <[hidden email]> wrote:

> As Rick says please provide documentation and populate the
> organization, developers, issueManager and scm properties of
> https://github.com/fterrier/grails-tasks/blob/master/TasksGrailsPlugin.groovy
>
> Thanks
>
> On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 6:10 PM, Rick Jensen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Seems like a good idea for a plugin, and one that many of my projects could
>> use, but without diving into the code (which I don't have time for at the
>> moment), there isn't nearly enough documentation for me to try it quite yet.
>>
>> Please add more documentation.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Rick Jensen
>>

>> On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 10:45 AM, Brian Saville
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/fterrier/grails-tasks worked for me.

> --
> Graeme Rocher
> Grails Project Lead
> SpringSource - A Division of VMware
> http://www.springsource.com

Re: New plugin - tasks

François Terrier
Hi guys,

I've written some documentation for the tasks plugin that I'd like to
contribute:

https://github.com/fterrier/grails-tasks

Check it out and let me know what you think.

Looking forward to the feedback,
Franz

On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 4:58 PM, François Terrier <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sorry for the wrong URL, I renamed the plugin after sending this email.
>
> I'll document it a bit more. Thanks for the feedback!
>
> Franz
>
> On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 9:07 AM, Graeme Rocher <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> As Rick says please provide documentation and populate the
>> organization, developers, issueManager and scm properties of
>> https://github.com/fterrier/grails-tasks/blob/master/TasksGrailsPlugin.groovy
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 6:10 PM, Rick Jensen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Seems like a good idea for a plugin, and one that many of my projects could
>>> use, but without diving into the code (which I don't have time for at the
>>> moment), there isn't nearly enough documentation for me to try it quite yet.
>>>
>>> Please add more documentation.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Rick Jensen

>> --
>> Graeme Rocher
>> Grails Project Lead
>> SpringSource - A Division of VMware
>> http://www.springsource.com

Re: New plugin - tasks

François Terrier
Hi everyone,

Did anyone have a chance to look at this new plugin I'd like to contribute?

Thanks,
Franz

I've written some documentation for the tasks plugin that I'd like to
contribute:

https://github.com/fterrier/grails-tasks

Check it out and let me know what you think.

Looking forward to the feedback,
Franz

On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 4:58 PM, François Terrier <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sorry for the wrong URL, I renamed the plugin after sending this email.
>
> I'll document it a bit more. Thanks for the feedback!
>
> Franz
>
> On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 9:07 AM, Graeme Rocher <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> As Rick says please provide documentation and populate the
>> organization, developers, issueManager and scm properties of
>> https://github.com/fterrier/grails-tasks/blob/master/TasksGrailsPlugin.groovy
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 6:10 PM, Rick Jensen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Seems like a good idea for a plugin, and one that many of my projects could
>>> use, but without diving into the code (which I don't have time for at the
>>> moment), there isn't nearly enough documentation for me to try it quite yet.
>>>
>>> Please add more documentation.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Rick Jensen

>> --
>> Graeme Rocher
>> Grails Project Lead
>> SpringSource - A Division of VMware
>> http://www.springsource.com

Re: New plugin - tasks

Graeme Rocher
Administrator
Hi,

Documentation looks like an improvement, what final request though.
Could you rename it 'rabbitmq-tasks'

Since the plugin is designed to work with rabbitmq, just naming it
'tasks' is a bit generic for me

Also I will need to know your grails.org username.

Thanks

On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 9:52 AM, François Terrier <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Did anyone have a chance to look at this new plugin I'd like to contribute?
>
> Thanks,
> Franz

http://www.springsource.com

Re: New plugin - tasks

François Terrier-2
Hi,

Great, I have just renamed it to rabbitmq-tasks.

My username is [hidden email].

This version is still pretty much tailored to my own project's needs,
but hopefully if interest grows we can extend it further to support
more use cases.

Thanks,
Franz

On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 10:33 AM, Graeme Rocher <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Documentation looks like an improvement, what final request though.
> Could you rename it 'rabbitmq-tasks'
>
> Since the plugin is designed to work with rabbitmq, just naming it
> 'tasks' is a bit generic for me
>
> Also I will need to know your grails.org username.
>
> Thanks
>
> On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 9:52 AM, François Terrier <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> Did anyone have a chance to look at this new plugin I'd like to contribute?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Franz

RE: New plugin - tasks

jonspalmer
How does this plugin differ/contrast to the existing rabbitmq plugin: http://grails.org/plugin/rabbitmq

Great, I have just renamed it to rabbitmq-tasks.

My username is [hidden email].

This version is still pretty much tailored to my own project's needs, but hopefully if interest grows we can extend it further to support more use cases.

Thanks,
Franz

On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 10:33 AM, Graeme Rocher <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Documentation looks like an improvement, what final request though.
> Could you rename it 'rabbitmq-tasks'
>
> Since the plugin is designed to work with rabbitmq, just naming it
> 'tasks' is a bit generic for me
>
> Also I will need to know your grails.org username.
>
> Thanks
>
> On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 9:52 AM, François Terrier <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> Did anyone have a chance to look at this new plugin I'd like to contribute?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Franz

This email is intended for the person(s) to whom it is addressed and may contain information that is PRIVILEGED or CONFIDENTIAL. Any unauthorized use, distribution, copying, or disclosure by any person other than the addressee(s) is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately by return email and delete the message and any attachments from your system.

Re: New plugin - tasks

François Terrier-2
Hi Jon,

The rabbitmq plugin provides a way to send and receive messages to
rabbitmq. This plugin uses rabbitmq to queue and execute long-running
background tasks, as well as provides a controller to create/remove
the tasks. The plugin supports task that take files as input and
produce files as output.

The use case in our application is for importing/exporting data. We
have huge import files to take a long time to be imported into our
system. We therefore developed that plugin so the user can launch an
import, which will be then saved as a task, will be picked up by
rabbitmq and processed. The user can come back later and check the
status of his import. Also since it uses rabbitmq to queue the tasks,
you can control how many of them can be executed in parallel, and
avoid clogging your application.

Let me know if you want to know more, I'll be happy to chat :-)

Franz

On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 4:21 PM, Jon Palmer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> How does this plugin differ/contrast to the existing rabbitmq plugin: http://grails.org/plugin/rabbitmq

Nicholas Wittstruck
Hi Franz,

would it maybe make sense to merge those two plugins? This plugin seems to complement the other one very well.

Cheers,

Nicholas

On 09.10.2012, at 09:14, François Terrier <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Jon,
>
> The rabbitmq plugin provides a way to send and receive messages to
> rabbitmq. This plugin uses rabbitmq to queue and execute long-running
> background tasks, as well as provides a controller to create/remove
> the tasks. The plugin supports task that take files as input and
> produce files as output.
>
> The use case in our application is for importing/exporting data. We
> have huge import files to take a long time to be imported into our
> system. We therefore developed that plugin so the user can launch an
> import, which will be then saved as a task, will be picked up by
> rabbitmq and processed. The user can come back later and check the
> status of his import. Also since it uses rabbitmq to queue the tasks,
> you can control how many of them can be executed in parallel, and
> avoid clogging your application.
>
> Let me know if you want to know more, I'll be happy to chat :-)
>
> Franz
>
> On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 4:21 PM, Jon Palmer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> How does this plugin differ/contrast to the existing rabbitmq plugin: http://grails.org/plugin/rabbitmq

I think the rabbitmq plugin should provide just basic rabbitmq
integration and no more.

Francois - that isn't a valid grails.org username. Please create an
account here if necessary http://grails.org/register

Cheers

On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 10:11 AM, Nicholas Wittstruck
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Franz,
>
> would it maybe make sense to merge those two plugins? This plugin seems to complement the other one very well.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Nicholas
>

> On 09.10.2012, at 09:14, François Terrier <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Jon,
>>
>> The rabbitmq plugin provides a way to send and receive messages to
>> rabbitmq. This plugin uses rabbitmq to queue and execute long-running
>> background tasks, as well as provides a controller to create/remove
>> the tasks. The plugin supports task that take files as input and
>> produce files as output.
>>
>> The use case in our application is for importing/exporting data. We
>> have huge import files to take a long time to be imported into our
>> system. We therefore developed that plugin so the user can launch an
>> import, which will be then saved as a task, will be picked up by
>> rabbitmq and processed. The user can come back later and check the
>> status of his import. Also since it uses rabbitmq to queue the tasks,
>> you can control how many of them can be executed in parallel, and
>> avoid clogging your application.
>>
>> Let me know if you want to know more, I'll be happy to chat :-)
>>
>> Franz
>>
>> On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 4:21 PM, Jon Palmer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> How does this plugin differ/contrast to the existing rabbitmq plugin: http://grails.org/plugin/rabbitmq

Yep sorry, my username is fterrier only.

Also, I'm trying to think of another use case for the rabbitmq plugin
alone, but I guess there could be many, like queueing emails, etc...
So maybe it's better to leave it like this?

Cheers

Franz

On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 11:21 AM, Graeme Rocher <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think the rabbitmq plugin should provide just basic rabbitmq
> integration and no more.
>
> Francois - that isn't a valid grails.org username. Please create an
> account here if necessary http://grails.org/register
>
> Cheers
>

> On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 10:11 AM, Nicholas Wittstruck
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Franz,
>>
>> would it maybe make sense to merge those two plugins? This plugin seems to complement the other one very well.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Nicholas
>>

>> On 09.10.2012, at 09:14, François Terrier <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Jon,
>>>
>>> The rabbitmq plugin provides a way to send and receive messages to
>>> rabbitmq. This plugin uses rabbitmq to queue and execute long-running
>>> background tasks, as well as provides a controller to create/remove
>>> the tasks. The plugin supports task that take files as input and
>>> produce files as output.
>>>
>>> The use case in our application is for importing/exporting data. We
>>> have huge import files to take a long time to be imported into our
>>> system. We therefore developed that plugin so the user can launch an
>>> import, which will be then saved as a task, will be picked up by
>>> rabbitmq and processed. The user can come back later and check the
>>> status of his import. Also since it uses rabbitmq to queue the tasks,
>>> you can control how many of them can be executed in parallel, and
>>> avoid clogging your application.
>>>
>>> Let me know if you want to know more, I'll be happy to chat :-)
>>>
>>> Franz

Re: New plugin - tasks

a.shneyderman
> I think the rabbitmq plugin should provide just basic rabbitmq
> integration and no more.

but it does not do that already. For example, subscribing to an exchange
is non-existent in rabbit's world. But plugin fakes it, thus providing extra
functionality. So, I can see how this suggestion came about. But I do agree
that rabbit plugin should rather not clutter itself, worse yet let other people
clutter it :-)

Re: New plugin - tasks

pledbrook
> but it does not do that already. For example, subscribing to an exchange
> is non-existent in rabbit's world. But plugin fakes it, thus providing extra
> functionality. So, I can see how this suggestion came about. But I do agree
> that rabbit plugin should rather not clutter itself, worse yet let other people
> clutter it :-)

Tasks are an orthogonal concern to messaging. For example, the Quartz
plugin is another task based system. Celery (written in Python) is
another. In fact, there's no reason that the tasks could not be
distributed using a JMS broker, or an internal message system, or
Celery. All that would be required are some adapters.

As for the Rabbitmq plugin, that tries to make certain messaging
patterns easier to use. Hence the 'subscribe' support. RPC is another
pattern that's currently in the works. But I don't see the plugin
doing anything beyond this.

Cheers,

Peter

--
Peter Ledbrook
Developer Advocate

t: @pledbrook

Re: New plugin - tasks

pledbrook
> Yep sorry, my username is fterrier only.
>
> Also, I'm trying to think of another use case for the rabbitmq plugin
> alone, but I guess there could be many, like queueing emails, etc...
> So maybe it's better to leave it like this?

Sorry François if it feels like we're making you jump through lots of
hoops. It's not our intention, but we do want to ensure that the
basics are right. I definitely would like to see the plugin in the
central repository!

I have added a couple more comments via GitHub, but it shouldn't take
long to sort those out. In addition to those, I have two more
questions:

1. Does this plugin really require Grails 2.1 or above?
2. Would you like us to set up the JIRA under GPRABBITMQTASKS rather
than GPTASKS?

Thanks,

Peter

--
Peter Ledbrook
Developer Advocate

t: @pledbrook

Re: New plugin - tasks

François Terrier-2
Hi Peter,

No worries, it's great if we clean things up a bit. I have seen your
comments on github and responded accordingly.

1. I guess the plugin doesn't really require Grails 2.1, but it's the
only version with which I had a chance to test it. How do you go about
setting the grails version for a plugin? Should all Grails version in
between the one you set and the last one be tested?

2. Sure, I changed it already in my local branch.

Thanks,
François

On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 11:54 AM, Peter Ledbrook <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Yep sorry, my username is fterrier only.
>>
>> Also, I'm trying to think of another use case for the rabbitmq plugin
>> alone, but I guess there could be many, like queueing emails, etc...
>> So maybe it's better to leave it like this?
>
> Sorry François if it feels like we're making you jump through lots of
> hoops. It's not our intention, but we do want to ensure that the
> basics are right. I definitely would like to see the plugin in the
> central repository!
>
> I have added a couple more comments via GitHub, but it shouldn't take
> long to sort those out. In addition to those, I have two more
> questions:
>
> 1. Does this plugin really require Grails 2.1 or above?
> 2. Would you like us to set up the JIRA under GPRABBITMQTASKS rather
> than GPTASKS?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Peter
>
> --
> Peter Ledbrook
> Developer Advocate
> VMware
>
> t: @pledbrook

Re: New plugin - tasks

pledbrook
> 1. I guess the plugin doesn't really require Grails 2.1, but it's the
> only version with which I had a chance to test it. How do you go about
> setting the grails version for a plugin? Should all Grails version in
> between the one you set and the last one be tested?

To be honest, I do it on the basis of known differences between the
versions of Grails. I also try to test with the oldest supported
version - typically that's 1.3.7 these days.

I would typically recommend 1.3.3 as the minimum version unless your
plugin explicitly depends on something in 2.0 or greater. For example,
if you provide controllers that implement their actions as methods,
they'll only work in Grails 2.

Peter

--
Peter Ledbrook