Packaging PDF documentation in the release

Packaging PDF documentation in the release

Guillaume Laforge-2
Another idea traversing my brain this afternoon:

I think we should use Confluence's PDF export to export the whole
Grails documentation as a PDF we could bundle in the project
deliverable package.

Already around 100 pages worth of documentation on Grails btw! Woohooo :-)

--
Guillaume Laforge
Groovy Project Manager
http://glaforge.free.fr/blog/groovy

Re: Packaging PDF documentation in the release

Guillaume Laforge-2
If you're curious to see what the documentation might look like:

http://glaforge.free.fr/grails/GrailsDoc.pdf

We'll need to improve the tree structure of the various confluence
pages, so that the order of pages makes sense in the generated PDF.

On 2/26/06, Guillaume Laforge <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Another idea traversing my brain this afternoon:
>
> I think we should use Confluence's PDF export to export the whole
> Grails documentation as a PDF we could bundle in the project
> deliverable package.
>
> Already around 100 pages worth of documentation on Grails btw! Woohooo :-)
>
> --
> Guillaume Laforge
> Groovy Project Manager
> http://glaforge.free.fr/blog/groovy

--
Guillaume Laforge
Groovy Project Manager
http://glaforge.free.fr/blog/groovy

RE: Re: Packaging PDF documentation in the release

Dierk König
Wow, that's cool.

The unavoidable question is whether we can have that for Groovy as well ;-)

How do you produce it?

cheers
Mittie

Hehe, indeed :-)

> The unavoidable question is whether we can have that for Groovy as well ;-)

Of course!
The online groovy documentation is roughly 240 pages long.
But it needs a real overhaul to be of any use.
Otherwise, it's a bit garbage :-(

> How do you produce it?

I think only confluence admins can generate the PDF (to avoid every
use to generate PDFs and kill confluence with OutOfMemoryErrors).
You can check if you can generate it by going in Confluence:

http://docs.codehaus.org/display/GROOVY/Home

Then click on "browse space" on the right of the bread crumb bar.
Click on the "advanced" tab.
Then there's an "export space" option which lets you select the pages
you want to export and the format of the export (XML, HTML, PDF).

--
Guillaume Laforge
Groovy Project Manager
http://glaforge.free.fr/blog/groovy

Re: Re: Packaging PDF documentation in the release

graemer
I would like the package the documentation as a PDF and as HTML within
the release, confluence can export to both so thats handy I just have
to play with the structure first as the current structure when
exported to PDF is in a non-sensical order

Graeme

On 26/02/06, Guillaume Laforge <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2/26/06, Dierk Koenig <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Wow, that's cool.
>
> Hehe, indeed :-)
>
> > The unavoidable question is whether we can have that for Groovy as well ;-)
>
> Of course!
> The online groovy documentation is roughly 240 pages long.
> But it needs a real overhaul to be of any use.
> Otherwise, it's a bit garbage :-(
>
> > How do you produce it?
>
> I think only confluence admins can generate the PDF (to avoid every
> use to generate PDFs and kill confluence with OutOfMemoryErrors).
> You can check if you can generate it by going in Confluence:
>
> http://docs.codehaus.org/display/GROOVY/Home
>
> Then click on "browse space" on the right of the bread crumb bar.
> Click on the "advanced" tab.
> Then there's an "export space" option which lets you select the pages
> you want to export and the format of the export (XML, HTML, PDF).
>
> --
> Guillaume Laforge
> Groovy Project Manager
> http://glaforge.free.fr/blog/groovy

RE: Re: Packaging PDF documentation in the release

Dierk König
> Of course!
> The online groovy documentation is roughly 240 pages long.
> But it needs a real overhaul to be of any use.
> Otherwise, it's a bit garbage :-(

Yep. Even has some serious errors in it:
"methods are private by default" and such.

> > How do you produce it?
>
> I think only confluence admins can generate the PDF (to avoid every
> use to generate PDFs and kill confluence with OutOfMemoryErrors).
> You can check if you can generate it by going in Confluence:
>
> http://docs.codehaus.org/display/GROOVY/Home
>
> Then click on "browse space" on the right of the bread crumb bar.
> Click on the "advanced" tab.
> Then there's an "export space" option which lets you select the pages
> you want to export and the format of the export (XML, HTML, PDF).

Yeah, I was able to do that. Cool.

Even beside the need for overhaul, it's beneficial to have it that way.

cheers
Mittie