Please move away from the mailing list concept!

12

Please move away from the mailing list concept!

nathan.h
Mailing Lists are really old school guys. It's very inconvenient, hard to browse and look for existing answers, and it's like all or nothing, you have to subscribe to the list if you're interested in just a thread.

Mailing lists are OK for the people developing the actual grails code, but not for users.

jQuery moved away from it recently and they're very happy about it: http://forum.jquery.com/

Re: Please move away from the mailing list concept!

Owen Rubel
Heh... I just spent part of today having Gmail filter and slap labels on most of the emails from the griffon, grails and groovy lists for me as well. And I can search through my folders whenever I want. Actually kind of easy.

Seriously though, if you hate the solution, you can always code something that takes the mailing list feed and puts it into something that you think is more suitable and then show it to us.

Rather than complaining, show us your solution. It's a better way to make friends and get to know people on the list.

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 2:00 PM, Mikael Andersson <[hidden email]> wrote:
I quite like mailing lists myself, I have gmail slap labels on the messages and archive them. Very easy to search and keep on top of, much prefer this to forums, which I'll subscribe to and read via email anyway.

2010/1/19 nathan.h <[hidden email]>

Mailing Lists are really old school guys. It's very inconvenient, hard to
browse and look for existing answers, and it's like all or nothing, you have
to subscribe to the list if you're interested in just a thread.

Mailing lists are OK for the people developing the actual grails code, but
not for users.

jQuery moved away from it recently and they're very happy about it:
http://forum.jquery.com/

Re: Please move away from the mailing list concept!

tomas lin
FYI. Lucas Teixeira did start a forum for Groovy / Grails / Griffon -
if you don't like this format.

http://gr8forums.org/

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 9:50 PM, nathan.h <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Mailing Lists are really old school guys. It's very inconvenient, hard to
> browse and look for existing answers, and it's like all or nothing, you have
> to subscribe to the list if you're interested in just a thread.
>
> Mailing lists are OK for the people developing the actual grails code, but
> not for users.
>
> jQuery moved away from it recently and they're very happy about it:
> http://forum.jquery.com/

Re: Please move away from the mailing list concept!

nathan.h
Yes I saw, good initiative, however it's not very active, very few users and last post was yesterday (and most were posted at least a week ago).

Plus having an official forum is always better.

tomas lin wrote

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 9:50 PM, nathan.h <nathan.h@makemeheal.com> wrote:

> Mailing Lists are really old school guys. It's very inconvenient, hard to
> browse and look for existing answers, and it's like all or nothing, you have
> to subscribe to the list if you're interested in just a thread.
>
> Mailing lists are OK for the people developing the actual grails code, but
> not for users.
>
> jQuery moved away from it recently and they're very happy about it:
> http://forum.jquery.com/

Re: Please move away from the mailing list concept!

nathan.h
I did provide a possible solution:
http://forum.jquery.com/

They moved from mailing-list to that new platform last week, see their announcement:
http://forum.jquery.com/topic/new-jquery-forum

Owen Rubel-2 wrote

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 2:00 PM, Mikael Andersson <mail.micke@gmail.com>wrote:

> I quite like mailing lists myself, I have gmail slap labels on the messages
> and archive them. Very easy to search and keep on top of, much prefer this
> to forums, which I'll subscribe to and read via email anyway.
>

> 2010/1/19 nathan.h <nathan.h@makemeheal.com>
>

>> Mailing Lists are really old school guys. It's very inconvenient, hard to
>> browse and look for existing answers, and it's like all or nothing, you
>> have
>> to subscribe to the list if you're interested in just a thread.
>>
>> Mailing lists are OK for the people developing the actual grails code, but
>> not for users.
>>
>> jQuery moved away from it recently and they're very happy about it:
>> http://forum.jquery.com/

Re: Please move away from the mailing list concept!

fabien7474
JFYI,

I gave a try to the new jQuery forum but it seems that some bugs are some kind of disturbing the user experience. For instance, if you do a search and visit one of the found link, then there is no way to go back again to your search results !!

nathan.h wrote
I did provide a possible solution:
http://forum.jquery.com/

They moved from mailing-list to that new platform last week, see their announcement:
http://forum.jquery.com/topic/new-jquery-forum

Owen Rubel-2 wrote
Heh... I just spent part of today having Gmail filter and slap labels on
most of the emails from the griffon, grails and groovy lists for me as well.
And I can search through my folders whenever I want. Actually kind of easy.

Seriously though, if you hate the solution, you can always code something
that takes the mailing list feed and puts it into something that you think
is more suitable and then show it to us.

Rather than complaining, show us your solution. It's a better way to make
friends and get to know people on the list.

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 2:00 PM, Mikael Andersson <mail.micke@gmail.com>wrote:

> I quite like mailing lists myself, I have gmail slap labels on the messages
> and archive them. Very easy to search and keep on top of, much prefer this
> to forums, which I'll subscribe to and read via email anyway.
>

> 2010/1/19 nathan.h <nathan.h@makemeheal.com>
>

>> Mailing Lists are really old school guys. It's very inconvenient, hard to
>> browse and look for existing answers, and it's like all or nothing, you
>> have
>> to subscribe to the list if you're interested in just a thread.
>>
>> Mailing lists are OK for the people developing the actual grails code, but
>> not for users.
>>
>> jQuery moved away from it recently and they're very happy about it:
>> http://forum.jquery.com/

Re: Please move away from the mailing list concept!

Steve Mosley
Now its all springsource goodness shouldn't there just be a forum with
the rest of the springsource stuff? (see there was a message here
http://forum.springsource.org/showthread.php?t=75377 ... but with no
result)

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 12:51, Fabien7474 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> JFYI,
>
> I gave a try to the new jQuery forum but it seems that some bugs are quite
> disturbing the user experience. For instance, if you do a search and visit
> one of the found link, ten there is no way to go back again to your search
> !!
>

> nathan.h wrote:
>>
>> I did provide a possible solution:
>> http://forum.jquery.com/
>>
>> They moved from mailing-list to that new platform last week, see their
>> announcement:
>> http://forum.jquery.com/topic/new-jquery-forum
>>

>> Owen Rubel-2 wrote:
>>>
>>> Heh... I just spent part of today having Gmail filter and slap labels on
>>> most of the emails from the griffon, grails and groovy lists for me as
>>> well.
>>> And I can search through my folders whenever I want. Actually kind of
>>> easy.
>>>
>>> Seriously though, if you hate the solution, you can always code something
>>> that takes the mailing list feed and puts it into something that you
>>> think
>>> is more suitable and then show it to us.
>>>
>>> Rather than complaining, show us your solution. It's a better way to make
>>> friends and get to know people on the list.

Re: Please move away from the mailing list concept!

nathan.h
There is a "back" link on top of the message, although it seems you have to click it twice, a bug indeed I guess.
They released this forum on Saturday, they say they'll need a few weeks to make it the public forum.

Fabien7474 wrote
JFYI,

I gave a try to the new jQuery forum but it seems that some bugs are some kind of disturbing the user experience. For instance, if you do a search and visit one of the found link, then there is no way to go back again to your search results !!

nathan.h wrote
I did provide a possible solution:
http://forum.jquery.com/

They moved from mailing-list to that new platform last week, see their announcement:
http://forum.jquery.com/topic/new-jquery-forum

Owen Rubel-2 wrote
Heh... I just spent part of today having Gmail filter and slap labels on
most of the emails from the griffon, grails and groovy lists for me as well.
And I can search through my folders whenever I want. Actually kind of easy.

Seriously though, if you hate the solution, you can always code something
that takes the mailing list feed and puts it into something that you think
is more suitable and then show it to us.

Rather than complaining, show us your solution. It's a better way to make
friends and get to know people on the list.

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 2:00 PM, Mikael Andersson <mail.micke@gmail.com>wrote:

> I quite like mailing lists myself, I have gmail slap labels on the messages
> and archive them. Very easy to search and keep on top of, much prefer this
> to forums, which I'll subscribe to and read via email anyway.
>

> 2010/1/19 nathan.h <nathan.h@makemeheal.com>
>

>> Mailing Lists are really old school guys. It's very inconvenient, hard to
>> browse and look for existing answers, and it's like all or nothing, you
>> have
>> to subscribe to the list if you're interested in just a thread.
>>
>> Mailing lists are OK for the people developing the actual grails code, but
>> not for users.
>>
>> jQuery moved away from it recently and they're very happy about it:
>> http://forum.jquery.com/

Re: Please move away from the mailing list concept!

nathan.h
Steve,

Indeed having all SpringSource stuff in the same community platform would work too for me.

Steve Mosley wrote

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 12:51, Fabien7474 <fabien.benichou@gmail.com> wrote:

> JFYI,
>
> I gave a try to the new jQuery forum but it seems that some bugs are quite
> disturbing the user experience. For instance, if you do a search and visit
> one of the found link, ten there is no way to go back again to your search
> !!
>

> nathan.h wrote:
>>
>> I did provide a possible solution:
>> http://forum.jquery.com/
>>
>> They moved from mailing-list to that new platform last week, see their
>> announcement:
>> http://forum.jquery.com/topic/new-jquery-forum
>>

>> Owen Rubel-2 wrote:
>>>
>>> Heh... I just spent part of today having Gmail filter and slap labels on
>>> most of the emails from the griffon, grails and groovy lists for me as
>>> well.
>>> And I can search through my folders whenever I want. Actually kind of
>>> easy.
>>>
>>> Seriously though, if you hate the solution, you can always code something
>>> that takes the mailing list feed and puts it into something that you
>>> think
>>> is more suitable and then show it to us.
>>>
>>> Rather than complaining, show us your solution. It's a better way to make
>>> friends and get to know people on the list.

Re: Please move away from the mailing list concept!

AshishGupta001
I agree with Nathan's suggestion to move to Forum. It not only serves people of both the camps (one who want to read posts on forum and other prefer to receive email). Other advantage i see Forum provides is that one can categorise the posts - GROM/Hibernate, Plugins etc. Which will help folks to sift through posts on topics on which they are intrested in. JavaRanch (www.javaranch.com) is another good example.

If there is a need to volunteer for this initiative, please count me in.

Thanks
Ashish

Steve Mosley wrote:

> Now its all springsource goodness shouldn't there just be a forum with
> the rest of the springsource stuff? (see there was a message here
> http://forum.springsource.org/showthread.php?t=75377 ... but with no
> result)
>

> On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 12:51, Fabien7474 <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> JFYI,
>>
>> I gave a try to the new jQuery forum but it seems that some bugs are
>> quite
>> disturbing the user experience. For instance, if you do a search and
>> visit
>> one of the found link, ten there is no way to go back again to your
>> search
>> !!
>>

>> nathan.h wrote:
>>>
>>> I did provide a possible solution:
>>> http://forum.jquery.com/
>>>
>>> They moved from mailing-list to that new platform last week, see their
>>> announcement:
>>> http://forum.jquery.com/topic/new-jquery-forum

Re: Please move away from the mailing list concept!

Raffaele Castagno
This is probably the simplest solution:
http://groups.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=46387

--
Raffaele

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 12:00 AM, Owen Rubel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Heh... I just spent part of today having Gmail filter and slap labels on
> most of the emails from the griffon, grails and groovy lists for me as well.
> And I can search through my folders whenever I want. Actually kind of easy.
>
> Seriously though, if you hate the solution, you can always code something
> that takes the mailing list feed and puts it into something that you think
> is more suitable and then show it to us.
>
> Rather than complaining, show us your solution. It's a better way to make
> friends and get to know people on the list.
>
> On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 2:00 PM, Mikael Andersson <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> I quite like mailing lists myself, I have gmail slap labels on the
>> messages and archive them. Very easy to search and keep on top of, much
>> prefer this to forums, which I'll subscribe to and read via email anyway.
>>

>> 2010/1/19 nathan.h <[hidden email]>
>>>
>>> Mailing Lists are really old school guys. It's very inconvenient, hard to
>>> browse and look for existing answers, and it's like all or nothing, you
>>> have
>>> to subscribe to the list if you're interested in just a thread.
>>>
>>> Mailing lists are OK for the people developing the actual grails code,
>>> but
>>> not for users.
>>>
>>> jQuery moved away from it recently and they're very happy about it:
>>> http://forum.jquery.com/

Re: Please move away from the mailing list concept!

Graeme Rocher
Administrator
Again I repeat what I repeated last time. What is wrong with nabble?
http://old.nabble.com/grails---user-f11861.html

For me it seems to provide the same capabilities of a forum for those
who don't want to subscribe

Cheers

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 7:34 AM, Ashish Gupta <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I agree with Nathan's suggestion to move to Forum. It not only serves people
> of both the camps (one who want to read posts on forum and other prefer to
> receive email). Other advantage i see Forum provides is that one can
> categorise the posts - GROM/Hibernate, Plugins etc. Which will help folks to
> sift through posts on topics on which they are intrested in. JavaRanch
> (www.javaranch.com) is another good example.
>
> If there is a need to volunteer for this initiative, please count me in.
>
> Thanks
> Ashish
>
> On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 5:46 AM, nathan.h <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Steve,
>>
>> Indeed having all SpringSource stuff in the same community platform would
>> work too for me.
>>

>> Steve Mosley wrote:
>> >
>> > Now its all springsource goodness shouldn't there just be a forum with
>> > the rest of the springsource stuff? (see there was a message here
>> > http://forum.springsource.org/showthread.php?t=75377 ... but with no
>> > result)

>> >     http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email
>> >

>> --

http://www.springsource.com

Re: Please move away from the mailing list concept!

Szymon Polom
[hidden email] schrieb:

> Mailing Lists are really old school guys. It's very inconvenient, hard to
> browse and look for existing answers, and it's like all or nothing, you have
> to subscribe to the list if you're interested in just a thread.
>
> Mailing lists are OK for the people developing the actual grails code, but
> not for users.
>
> jQuery moved away from it recently and they're very happy about it:
> http://forum.jquery.com/

Your only valid argument is "all or nothing" and between nothing and all
I choose all.

IMAP or Nabble and full text search works fine for me. Grails' users are
developers too and this list has no problems the jQuery lists had, there
is no moderation needed and the list doesn't suffer from spam.

Re: Please move away from the mailing list concept!

Marc Palmer Local

On 19 Jan 2010, at 23:13, nathan.h wrote:

> Yes I saw, good initiative, however it's not very active, very few users and
> last post was yesterday (and most were posted at least a week ago).

That tells you something doesn't it?

Not everybody likes forums. Not everyone likes lists. IMO if you have two solutions, you end up with two mostly separate communities. Lists are good and the most important thing is that the major contributors to grails can very quickly scan and respond to issues - not so with forums which are "pull" by nature and much slower.

This is a FAQ btw, it comes up every few months.

Marc

~ ~ ~
Marc Palmer
Blog         > http://www.anyware.co.uk
Twitter      > http://twitter.com/wangjammer5
Grails Rocks > http://www.grailsrocks.com

Re: Please move away from the mailing list concept!

Daniel Honig
We should add this to the FAQ with Marc's response as a starting point and provide links to MarkMail and Nabble.

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 9:47 AM, Marc Palmer <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 19 Jan 2010, at 23:13, nathan.h wrote:

> Yes I saw, good initiative, however it's not very active, very few users and
> last post was yesterday (and most were posted at least a week ago).

That tells you something doesn't it?

Not everybody likes forums. Not everyone likes lists. IMO if you have two solutions, you end up with two mostly separate communities. Lists are good and the most important thing is that the major contributors to grails can very quickly scan and respond to issues - not so with forums which are "pull" by nature and much slower.

This is a FAQ btw, it comes up every few months.

Marc

~ ~ ~
Marc Palmer
Blog         > http://www.anyware.co.uk
Twitter      > http://twitter.com/wangjammer5
Grails Rocks > http://www.grailsrocks.com

RE: Please move away from the mailing list concept!

Matthew.Lachman

+1 for Daniel’s suggestion.

We should add this to the FAQ with Marc's response as a starting point and provide links to MarkMail and Nabble.

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 9:47 AM, Marc Palmer <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 19 Jan 2010, at 23:13, nathan.h wrote:

> Yes I saw, good initiative, however it's not very active, very few users and
> last post was yesterday (and most were posted at least a week ago).

That tells you something doesn't it?

Not everybody likes forums. Not everyone likes lists. IMO if you have two solutions, you end up with two mostly separate communities. Lists are good and the most important thing is that the major contributors to grails can very quickly scan and respond to issues - not so with forums which are "pull" by nature and much slower.

This is a FAQ btw, it comes up every few months.

Marc

~ ~ ~
Marc Palmer
Blog         > http://www.anyware.co.uk
Twitter      > http://twitter.com/wangjammer5
Grails Rocks > http://www.grailsrocks.com

Re: Please move away from the mailing list concept!

Nick Collins-2
If you were to use something like Google Groups, you could receive the
threads in mailing list fashion, or log in and view it in a forum
fashion, or both.

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 9:39 AM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1 for Daniel’s suggestion.

Sébastien Blanc
Well seems that Graeme already updated the wiki about this subject about a hour ago!
On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 4:39 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

+1 for Daniel’s suggestion.

We should add this to the FAQ with Marc's response as a starting point and provide links to MarkMail and Nabble.

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 9:47 AM, Marc Palmer <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 19 Jan 2010, at 23:13, nathan.h wrote:

> Yes I saw, good initiative, however it's not very active, very few users and
> last post was yesterday (and most were posted at least a week ago).

That tells you something doesn't it?

Not everybody likes forums. Not everyone likes lists. IMO if you have two solutions, you end up with two mostly separate communities. Lists are good and the most important thing is that the major contributors to grails can very quickly scan and respond to issues - not so with forums which are "pull" by nature and much slower.

This is a FAQ btw, it comes up every few months.

Marc

~ ~ ~
Marc Palmer
Blog         > http://www.anyware.co.uk
Twitter      > http://twitter.com/wangjammer5
Grails Rocks > http://www.grailsrocks.com

Re: Please move away from the mailing list concept!

Daniel Honig
Go read the JQuery forum on why they moved away from google groups.  Nabble and MarkMail both provide threaded conversations.