Possible to use alternative java opt to define environment.

Possible to use alternative java opt to define environment.

Miles Burton-2

Hi all,

We're constrained in production to use a fixed set of java options, none of which include grails.env.

Is it possible to use a different custom java opt to set grails.env?

Sent from my mobile, excuse brevity.

Re: Possible to use alternative java opt to define environment.

alxndrsn
Is this for production or dev?  If production, my understanding is the
env set at WAR creation time is then fixed for that WAR.  If dev time,
then this is quite a strange problem, but you could achieve this with
a custom run script or by modifying grails core I guess.

On 18 September 2013 11:58, Miles Burton <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We're constrained in production to use a fixed set of java options, none of
> which include grails.env.
>
> Is it possible to use a different custom java opt to set grails.env?
>
> Sent from my mobile, excuse brevity.

Re: Possible to use alternative java opt to define environment.

Miles

Unfortunately due to our audit requirements we have no control over the environment.

For us to get to production we have to promote the same golden source through the various environments. So prebuilding is a no go.

Only alternative is externalize the config which has additional audit issues.

Programmatically using a different java opt is preferred if anyone has any thoughts.

On 18 Sep 2013 10:23, "Alex Anderson" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Is this for production or dev?  If production, my understanding is the
env set at WAR creation time is then fixed for that WAR.  If dev time,
then this is quite a strange problem, but you could achieve this with
a custom run script or by modifying grails core I guess.

On 18 September 2013 11:58, Miles Burton <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We're constrained in production to use a fixed set of java options, none of
> which include grails.env.
>
> Is it possible to use a different custom java opt to set grails.env?
>
> Sent from my mobile, excuse brevity.

Re: Possible to use alternative java opt to define environment.

alxndrsn
Sounds like a tough environment!  What kind of organisation is this for?

How is the build triggered on production?

On 18 September 2013 12:39, Miles Burton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Unfortunately due to our audit requirements we have no control over the
> environment.
>
> For us to get to production we have to promote the same golden source
> through the various environments. So prebuilding is a no go.
>
> Only alternative is externalize the config which has additional audit
> issues.
>
> Programmatically using a different java opt is preferred if anyone has any
> thoughts.
>
> Sent from my mobile, excuse brevity.
>
> On 18 Sep 2013 10:23, "Alex Anderson" <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Is this for production or dev?  If production, my understanding is the
>> env set at WAR creation time is then fixed for that WAR.  If dev time,
>> then this is quite a strange problem, but you could achieve this with
>> a custom run script or by modifying grails core I guess.
>>
>> On 18 September 2013 11:58, Miles Burton <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > We're constrained in production to use a fixed set of java options, none
>> > of
>> > which include grails.env.
>> >
>> > Is it possible to use a different custom java opt to set grails.env?
>> >
>> > Sent from my mobile, excuse brevity.

Re: Possible to use alternative java opt to define environment.

Miles

We're in an investment bank so audit paths are all over the place and things are locked down. It's a challenge at times.

It uses a promotion mechanism which effectively clones the previous environment.

On 18 September 2013 13:31, Miles Burton <[hidden email]> wrote:
> We're in an investment bank so audit paths are all over the place and things
> are locked down. It's a challenge at times.
>
> It uses a promotion mechanism which effectively clones the previous
> environment.

I don't really know what that is, but surely somewhere `grails war` or
similar is called?  Are you unable to change this command to something
else, or trigger a gant/bash/other script instead?

Re: Possible to use alternative java opt to define environment.

Miles

Not per environment :-(