Quantcast

Problem after u/g to 1.1-beta3 with NoClassDefFoundError on AbstractSAXParser

Problem after u/g to 1.1-beta3 with NoClassDefFoundError on AbstractSAXParser

Matthew Sinclair
I just upgraded to 1.1-beta3 and I've run into a problem with a NoClassDefFoundError on AbstractSAXParser.

I'm running on a MacPro (10.5.6) will all of the latest updates (that I know of). I'm also using:
$ java -version
java version "1.6.0_07"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_07-b06-153)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 1.6.0_07-b06-57, mixed mode)

and grails-1.1-beta3.

I am using the NekoHTML library, and in the previous version (which worked fine) I had a symlink from the GRAILS_HOME/lib to the nekohtml-1.9.8.jar file. This worked without any problems.

However, in 1.1-beta3, this has stopped working. I did some trawling on this forum, and found some advice to the effect that I should put project-specific libs in <grails-app>/lib. As this sounded like good advice, I put a symlink from <grails-app>/lib to the nekohtml-1.9.8.jar file (and removed the old symlink from the GRAILS_HOME/lib) directory.

However, now I get the following error when I compile:

$ grails compile
Welcome to Grails 1.1-beta3 - http://grails.org/
Licensed under Apache Standard License 2.0
Grails home is set to: /Developer/opt/grails-1.1

Base Directory: /Users/matts/Devel/prj/carpadium/penzio/app/web/penzio
Running script /Developer/opt/grails-1.1/scripts/Compile.groovy
Environment set to development
  [groovyc] Compiling 134 source files to /Users/matts/.grails/1.1-beta3/projects/penzio/classes
Compilation error: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/xerces/parsers/AbstractSAXParser

I did some further reading on this forum and found a few tips (from earlier versions) about the use of the xercesImpl.jar library. So I tried putting that in my grails-app/lib directory (after noticing that it was no longer in the GRAILS_HOME/lib directory, as it was with versions *prior* to 1.1-beta3).

However, things go from bad to worse with xercesImpl.jar in my local grails-app/lib directory. The app starts up, but there's a carnival of errors.

Any ideas what's changed here? What's the story with the use of 3rd party XML/HTML libraries like neko and xerces?

Any help greatly appreciated.

M@

Re: Problem after u/g to 1.1-beta3 with NoClassDefFoundError on AbstractSAXParser

pledbrook
> However, things go from bad to worse with xercesImpl.jar in my local
> grails-app/lib directory. The app starts up, but there's a carnival of
> errors.
>
> Any ideas what's changed here? What's the story with the use of 3rd party
> XML/HTML libraries like neko and xerces?

It's specifically XML-related libraries that tend to be problematic
because of class loader issues. Could you attach your "stacktrace.log"
file to an e-mail so I can take a look? I may have to modify the
scripts so that the embedded servlet container uses
"grails.runtime.classpath" rather than using the build's class loader
directly. Ah, more fun and games with class loaders.

Cheers,

Peter

Re: Problem after u/g to 1.1-beta3 with NoClassDefFoundError on AbstractSAXParser

pledbrook
> However, things go from bad to worse with xercesImpl.jar in my local
> grails-app/lib directory. The app starts up, but there's a carnival of
> errors.
>
> Any ideas what's changed here? What's the story with the use of 3rd party
> XML/HTML libraries like neko and xerces?

If you could attach a reproducable example to a JIRA issue, that would
be great. Assign to me.

Thanks,

Peter

Re: Problem after u/g to 1.1-beta3 with NoClassDefFoundError on AbstractSAXParser

Matthew Sinclair
Peter,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Peter Ledbrook wrote
Could you attach your "stacktrace.log"
file to an e-mail so I can take a look?
The weird thing is, I'm not getting a stacktrace.log generated. I just removed stacktrace.log and then re-compiled, and this is the exact output I get:

$ grails compile
Welcome to Grails 1.1-beta3 - http://grails.org/
Licensed under Apache Standard License 2.0
Grails home is set to: /Developer/opt/grails-1.1

Base Directory: /Users/matts/Devel/prj/carpadium/penzio/app/web/penzio
Running script /Developer/opt/grails-1.1/scripts/Compile.groovy
Environment set to development
  [groovyc] Compiling 134 source files to /Users/matts/.grails/1.1-beta3/projects/penzio/classes
Compilation error: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/xerces/parsers/AbstractSAXParser

The output is kind of weird - it just dumps out the 'Compilation error:' line with no other information at all. And there's no stacktrace.log generated. Is there something else that I can try to get some more output?

M@

Re: Problem after u/g to 1.1-beta3 with NoClassDefFoundError on AbstractSAXParser

pledbrook
> The output is kind of weird - it just dumps out the 'Compilation error:'
> line with no other information at all. And there's no stacktrace.log
> generated. Is there something else that I can try to get some more output?

Sorry, I'm more interested in the errors that you get when you put
"xercesImpl.jar" in the application's "lib" directory. The compilation
is failing because that library is missing.

Thanks,

Peter

Maven Integration - mvn site

Dave Hallam-3
Hi all,

At the risk of making Marc sick again at the mention of maven...

Has anyone used the maven integration to generate a maven site from a Grails app?

The kind of basic things I want to pull together (starting with javadoc, groovydoc, unit test results, integration test results) are things that would normally be in the form of reports on the site.

I know it was mentioned by various posters on Graeme's blog entry (http://graemerocher.blogspot.com/2008/01/why-grails-doesnt-use-maven.html) and was wondering if anything had been done to address this either by Peter & co. or by the community.

Many thanks

Dave

Re: Problem after u/g to 1.1-beta3 with NoClassDefFoundError on AbstractSAXParser

Matthew Sinclair
Peter,

Peter Ledbrook wrote
Sorry, I'm more interested in the errors that you get when you put
"xercesImpl.jar" in the application's "lib" directory. The compilation
is failing because that library is missing.
Ok, I see. I have copied 'xercesImpl.jar' into <grails-app>/lib. Everything now compiles, but I am back to the carnival of errors on start-up. I have attached the stacktrace.log with this post.

Just so you are aware, I ran the app and then pressed 'Ctrl-C' before accessing the application from the browser. Accessing the app from the browser just caused more errors ...

Thanks for your help,
M@

Re: Problem after u/g to 1.1-beta3 with NoClassDefFoundError on AbstractSAXParser

pledbrook
> Ok, I see. I have copied 'xercesImpl.jar' into <grails-app>/lib. Everything
> now compiles, but I am back to the carnival of errors on start-up. I have
> attached the  http://www.nabble.com/file/p21823056/stacktrace.log
> stacktrace.log  with this post.

Thanks Matthew. You have just run into a known bug with 1.1-beta3 that
has now been fixed in the snapshots:

  http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GRAILS-3908

Cheers,

Peter

Re: Maven Integration - mvn site

pledbrook
> The kind of basic things I want to pull together (starting with javadoc,
> groovydoc, unit test results, integration test results) are things that
> would normally be in the form of reports on the site.
>
> I know it was mentioned by various posters on Graeme's blog entry
> (http://graemerocher.blogspot.com/2008/01/why-grails-doesnt-use-maven.html)
> and was wondering if anything had been done to address this either by Peter
> & co. or by the community.

If you have any idea what is involved, please document in a JIRA issue
(as a sub-task of GRAILS-3547). I haven't looked into it myself.

Cheers,

Peter

Re: Problem after u/g to 1.1-beta3 with NoClassDefFoundError on AbstractSAXParser

Matthew Sinclair
Peter,

Peter Ledbrook wrote
> Ok, I see. I have copied 'xercesImpl.jar' into <grails-app>/lib. Everything
> now compiles, but I am back to the carnival of errors on start-up. I have
> attached the  http://www.nabble.com/file/p21823056/stacktrace.log
> stacktrace.log  with this post.

Thanks Matthew. You have just run into a known bug with 1.1-beta3 that
has now been fixed in the snapshots:
  http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GRAILS-3908
Cheers,
Peter
Again, thanks for the prompt reply. It seems that the latest snapshot is failing, but if I go back to this one GRAILS-GRAILS11JDK15-538, then the problem that I was having here goes away.

Thanks,
M@

Re: Maven Integration - mvn site

Dave Hallam-3
Is Grails 1.1 work on trunk now or still on the GRAILS_1_1 branch?

I'll look into what's required.

> The kind of basic things I want to pull together (starting with javadoc,
> groovydoc, unit test results, integration test results) are things that
> would normally be in the form of reports on the site.
>
> I know it was mentioned by various posters on Graeme's blog entry
> (http://graemerocher.blogspot.com/2008/01/why-grails-doesnt-use-maven.html)
> and was wondering if anything had been done to address this either by Peter
> & co. or by the community.

If you have any idea what is involved, please document in a JIRA issue
(as a sub-task of GRAILS-3547). I haven't looked into it myself.

Cheers,

Peter

Re: Maven Integration - mvn site

pledbrook
> Is Grails 1.1 work on trunk now or still on the GRAILS_1_1 branch?

It's still on the branch. But the Maven plugin and archetype are on
trunk (just to confuse everyone).

Cheers,

Peter