Quantcast

Proposal for new-look user guide

123

Proposal for new-look user guide

pledbrook
Hi everyone,

Stéphane Maldini and his designer have kindly provided a new skin for
the Grails user guide. You can check it out on the beta site:

    http://beta.grails.org/doc/latest/guide/

The key for me is that each page now has a unique URL, thus making it
much easier to link into the chapters and reference sections. Also,
this would be the look for the application and plugin docs generated
by the 'grails doc' command. It will hopefully be possible in the
future to simply drop in your own templates too.

Please feel free to suggest improvements for the docs on this list.
For example, it would be nice if initially only the headings for each
reference section were visible.

Finally, I would like to give a big thanks to Stéphane and his unnamed
designer for contributing the changes.

Peter

--
Peter Ledbrook
Grails Advocate

Re: Proposal for new-look user guide

smaldini
Let's go for the critics, blame us !
FYI the unnamed designer is Damien Vitrac from oocube (designed also the main things in icescrum )

On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 12:40 PM, Peter Ledbrook <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Stéphane MALDINI
doc4web consultant
http://fr.linkedin.com/in/smaldini

Re: Proposal for new-look user guide

Sébastien Blanc
What would be nice is a mobile version , like for the ipad , I often
have my iPad as "second screen" when I'm working on my laptop , I can
hel p with this if you want
Seb

On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 12:44 PM, Stephane Maldini
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Let's go for the critics, blame us !
> FYI the unnamed designer is Damien Vitrac from oocube (designed also the
> main things in icescrum )
>
> On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 12:40 PM, Peter Ledbrook <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> Stéphane Maldini and his designer have kindly provided a new skin for
>> the Grails user guide. You can check it out on the beta site:
>>
>>    http://beta.grails.org/doc/latest/guide/
>>
>> The key for me is that each page now has a unique URL, thus making it
>> much easier to link into the chapters and reference sections. Also,
>> this would be the look for the application and plugin docs generated
>> by the 'grails doc' command. It will hopefully be possible in the
>> future to simply drop in your own templates too.
>>
>> Please feel free to suggest improvements for the docs on this list.
>> For example, it would be nice if initially only the headings for each
>> reference section were visible.
>>
>> Finally, I would like to give a big thanks to Stéphane and his unnamed
>> designer for contributing the changes.
>>
>> Peter
>>
>> --
>> Peter Ledbrook
>> Grails Advocate
>> SpringSource - A Division of VMware

> Stéphane MALDINI
> doc4web consultant
> http://fr.linkedin.com/in/smaldini

Re: Proposal for new-look user guide

smaldini
That's a cool idea, I didn't see render on IOS safari.

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Let's go for the critics, blame us !
> FYI the unnamed designer is Damien Vitrac from oocube (designed also the
> main things in icescrum )
>
> On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 12:40 PM, Peter Ledbrook <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> Stéphane Maldini and his designer have kindly provided a new skin for
>> the Grails user guide. You can check it out on the beta site:
>>
>>    http://beta.grails.org/doc/latest/guide/
>>
>> The key for me is that each page now has a unique URL, thus making it
>> much easier to link into the chapters and reference sections. Also,
>> this would be the look for the application and plugin docs generated
>> by the 'grails doc' command. It will hopefully be possible in the
>> future to simply drop in your own templates too.
>>
>> Please feel free to suggest improvements for the docs on this list.
>> For example, it would be nice if initially only the headings for each
>> reference section were visible.
>>
>> Finally, I would like to give a big thanks to Stéphane and his unnamed
>> designer for contributing the changes.
>>
>> Peter
>>
>> --
>> Peter Ledbrook
>> Grails Advocate
>> SpringSource - A Division of VMware

> Stéphane MALDINI
> doc4web consultant
> http://fr.linkedin.com/in/smaldini

Stéphane MALDINI
doc4web consultant
http://fr.linkedin.com/in/smaldini

Re: Proposal for new-look user guide

tomas lin
Very cool.

- The h4 tags do look the same as <p bold > so in pages like

http://beta.grails.org/doc/latest/guide/11.%20Security.html#11.2%20Encoding%20and%20Decoding%20Objects

it is not clear that "HTMLCodec" is a subsection of "Standard Codecs"

- Would be cool if the table of contents contained subsections as a
second level navigation menu item

- When I hide the quick reference, not immediately obvious how to
restore it. ( would be nice if we had a quick reference [ show ] )
above the heading.

On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 11:44 AM, Stephane Maldini
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Let's go for the critics, blame us !
> FYI the unnamed designer is Damien Vitrac from oocube (designed also the
> main things in icescrum )
>
> On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 12:40 PM, Peter Ledbrook <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> Stéphane Maldini and his designer have kindly provided a new skin for
>> the Grails user guide. You can check it out on the beta site:
>>
>>    http://beta.grails.org/doc/latest/guide/
>>
>> The key for me is that each page now has a unique URL, thus making it
>> much easier to link into the chapters and reference sections. Also,
>> this would be the look for the application and plugin docs generated
>> by the 'grails doc' command. It will hopefully be possible in the
>> future to simply drop in your own templates too.
>>
>> Please feel free to suggest improvements for the docs on this list.
>> For example, it would be nice if initially only the headings for each
>> reference section were visible.
>>
>> Finally, I would like to give a big thanks to Stéphane and his unnamed
>> designer for contributing the changes.
>>
>> Peter
>>
>> --
>> Peter Ledbrook
>> Grails Advocate
>> SpringSource - A Division of VMware

> Stéphane MALDINI
> doc4web consultant
> http://fr.linkedin.com/in/smaldini

Re: Proposal for new-look user guide

Finn Herpich-3
I like it =)

Between "Table of contents" and its menu is a small gap, when I move the
mouse down too slow the menu is gone before I could select something (in
Chrome 6.0.472.63 on Ubuntu 10.10)

Cheers

Am Mittwoch, den 03.11.2010, 11:51 +0000 schrieb Tomas Lin:

> Very cool.
>
> - The h4 tags do look the same as <p bold > so in pages like
>
> http://beta.grails.org/doc/latest/guide/11.%20Security.html#11.2%20Encoding%20and%20Decoding%20Objects
>
> it is not clear that "HTMLCodec" is a subsection of "Standard Codecs"
>
> - Would be cool if the table of contents contained subsections as a
> second level navigation menu item
>
> - When I hide the quick reference, not immediately obvious how to
> restore it. ( would be nice if we had a quick reference [ show ] )
> above the heading.
>

> On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 11:44 AM, Stephane Maldini
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Let's go for the critics, blame us !
> > FYI the unnamed designer is Damien Vitrac from oocube (designed also the
> > main things in icescrum )
> >
> > On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 12:40 PM, Peter Ledbrook <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi everyone,
> >>
> >> Stéphane Maldini and his designer have kindly provided a new skin for
> >> the Grails user guide. You can check it out on the beta site:
> >>
> >>    http://beta.grails.org/doc/latest/guide/
> >>
> >> The key for me is that each page now has a unique URL, thus making it
> >> much easier to link into the chapters and reference sections. Also,
> >> this would be the look for the application and plugin docs generated
> >> by the 'grails doc' command. It will hopefully be possible in the
> >> future to simply drop in your own templates too.
> >>
> >> Please feel free to suggest improvements for the docs on this list.
> >> For example, it would be nice if initially only the headings for each
> >> reference section were visible.
> >>
> >> Finally, I would like to give a big thanks to Stéphane and his unnamed
> >> designer for contributing the changes.
> >>
> >> Peter
> >>
> >> --
> >> Peter Ledbrook
> >> Grails Advocate
> >> SpringSource - A Division of VMware

> >>    http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email
> >>

> > --
> > Stéphane MALDINI
> > doc4web consultant
> > [hidden email]
> > --
> > http://fr.linkedin.com/in/smaldini

Re: Proposal for new-look user guide

omadruga
The sections on the quick-reference could be boldier. It's not easy to find Database Mapping, Plugins, etc
Also agree with sub-sections as second level navigation on TOC.

But it looks great. Congrats!

Gustavo Madruga

On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 09:51, Stephane Maldini <[hidden email]> wrote:

> That's a cool idea, I didn't see render on IOS safari.
>
> On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 12:49 PM, Sébastien Blanc <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> What would be nice is a mobile version , like for the ipad , I often
>> have my iPad as "second screen" when I'm working on my laptop , I can
>> hel p with this if you want
>> Seb
>>
>> On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 12:44 PM, Stephane Maldini
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Let's go for the critics, blame us !
>> > FYI the unnamed designer is Damien Vitrac from oocube (designed also the
>> > main things in icescrum )

>> > --
>> > Stéphane MALDINI
>> > doc4web consultant
>> > [hidden email]
>> > --
>> > http://fr.linkedin.com/in/smaldini

> Stéphane MALDINI
> doc4web consultant
> http://fr.linkedin.com/in/smaldini

Re: Proposal for new-look user guide

aalmiray
Looking good! If I may make a suggestion, please add a <previous, index, next> set of links to each section, at least on the footer. Would make for easier sequential reading instead of jumping around with the TOC.

Cheers,
Andres

Re: Proposal for new-look user guide

tomas lin
Quick reference links are broken for any /ref/ page

i.e.

click on Usage ->
http://beta.grails.org/doc/latest/ref/Command%20Line/Usage.html
click on add proxy ->
http://beta.grails.org/doc/latest/ref/ref/Command%20Line/add-proxy.html

/ref/ref

On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 11:57 AM, Finn Herpich <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I like it =)
>
> Between "Table of contents" and its menu is a small gap, when I move the
> mouse down too slow the menu is gone before I could select something (in
> Chrome 6.0.472.63 on Ubuntu 10.10)
>
> Cheers
>
> Am Mittwoch, den 03.11.2010, 11:51 +0000 schrieb Tomas Lin:
>> Very cool.
>>
>> - The h4 tags do look the same as <p bold > so in pages like
>>
>> http://beta.grails.org/doc/latest/guide/11.%20Security.html#11.2%20Encoding%20and%20Decoding%20Objects
>>
>> it is not clear that "HTMLCodec" is a subsection of "Standard Codecs"
>>
>> - Would be cool if the table of contents contained subsections as a
>> second level navigation menu item
>>
>> - When I hide the quick reference, not immediately obvious how to
>> restore it. ( would be nice if we had a quick reference [ show ] )
>> above the heading.
>>

>> On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 11:44 AM, Stephane Maldini
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Let's go for the critics, blame us !
>> > FYI the unnamed designer is Damien Vitrac from oocube (designed also the
>> > main things in icescrum )

>> > --
>> > Stéphane MALDINI
>> > doc4web consultant
>> > [hidden email]
>> > --
>> > http://fr.linkedin.com/in/smaldini

Re: Proposal for new-look user guide

smaldini
Which browser?

On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 1:03 PM, Tomas Lin <[hidden email]> wrote:
Quick reference links are broken for any /ref/ page

i.e.

click on Usage ->
http://beta.grails.org/doc/latest/ref/Command%20Line/Usage.html
click on add proxy ->
http://beta.grails.org/doc/latest/ref/ref/Command%20Line/add-proxy.html

/ref/ref

On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 11:57 AM, Finn Herpich <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I like it =)
>
> Between "Table of contents" and its menu is a small gap, when I move the
> mouse down too slow the menu is gone before I could select something (in
> Chrome 6.0.472.63 on Ubuntu 10.10)
>
> Cheers
>
> Am Mittwoch, den 03.11.2010, 11:51 +0000 schrieb Tomas Lin:
>> Very cool.
>>
>> - The h4 tags do look the same as <p bold > so in pages like
>>
>> http://beta.grails.org/doc/latest/guide/11.%20Security.html#11.2%20Encoding%20and%20Decoding%20Objects
>>
>> it is not clear that "HTMLCodec" is a subsection of "Standard Codecs"
>>
>> - Would be cool if the table of contents contained subsections as a
>> second level navigation menu item
>>
>> - When I hide the quick reference, not immediately obvious how to
>> restore it. ( would be nice if we had a quick reference [ show ] )
>> above the heading.
>>

>> On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 11:44 AM, Stephane Maldini
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Let's go for the critics, blame us !
>> > FYI the unnamed designer is Damien Vitrac from oocube (designed also the
>> > main things in icescrum )

>> > --
>> > Stéphane MALDINI
>> > doc4web consultant
>> > [hidden email]
>> > --
>> > http://fr.linkedin.com/in/smaldini

Stéphane MALDINI
doc4web consultant
http://fr.linkedin.com/in/smaldini

Re: Proposal for new-look user guide

pledbrook
> click on Usage ->
> http://beta.grails.org/doc/latest/ref/Command%20Line/Usage.html
> click on add proxy ->
> http://beta.grails.org/doc/latest/ref/ref/Command%20Line/add-proxy.html

I'm not getting that. Browser?

--
Peter Ledbrook
Grails Advocate

Re: Proposal for new-look user guide

Dave Crane-7
Hi Stephane, Damien, Peter, et al.,

Looks good. I like the "Quick References" with the hide feature, but once you hide them, there's no way to get them back apart from refreshing the page, as far as I can see? Looking at the code for the JS function localToggle(), there's supposed to be an element called "refButton" that getys swapped in, but I can't see it (looked in Chrome of Firefox). Firebug tells me it is on the page somewhere.

Cheers,

Dave

On 3 November 2010 11:40, Peter Ledbrook <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Technical Lead/Architect
Historic Futures Ltd.

Re: Proposal for new-look user guide

rlovtangen
On iPad (and iPhone) I get the springsource search bar footer covering the text. Would be nice to fix that. Apart from that, I think it works great on iPad, could possibly fix the width a little with <meta content="width=400, user-scalable=yes" name="viewport"> or something. (I haven't experimented with what's the best width)

Ronny

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Let's go for the critics, blame us !
> FYI the unnamed designer is Damien Vitrac from oocube (designed also the
> main things in icescrum )
>
> On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 12:40 PM, Peter Ledbrook <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> Stéphane Maldini and his designer have kindly provided a new skin for
>> the Grails user guide. You can check it out on the beta site:
>>
>>    http://beta.grails.org/doc/latest/guide/
>>
>> The key for me is that each page now has a unique URL, thus making it
>> much easier to link into the chapters and reference sections. Also,
>> this would be the look for the application and plugin docs generated
>> by the 'grails doc' command. It will hopefully be possible in the
>> future to simply drop in your own templates too.
>>
>> Please feel free to suggest improvements for the docs on this list.
>> For example, it would be nice if initially only the headings for each
>> reference section were visible.
>>
>> Finally, I would like to give a big thanks to Stéphane and his unnamed
>> designer for contributing the changes.
>>
>> Peter
>>
>> --
>> Peter Ledbrook
>> Grails Advocate
>> SpringSource - A Division of VMware

> Stéphane MALDINI
> doc4web consultant
> http://fr.linkedin.com/in/smaldini

Stéphane MALDINI
doc4web consultant
http://fr.linkedin.com/in/smaldini

Re: Proposal for new-look user guide

tomas lin
This is on firefox 3.6.12.

You have to click on add proxy within the usage page.

Historic Futures Ltd.

Re: Proposal for new-look user guide

pledbrook
> Looks good. I like the "Quick References" with the hide feature, but once
> you hide them, there's no way to get them back apart from refreshing the
> page, as far as I can see? Looking at the code for the JS function
> localToggle(), there's supposed to be an element called "refButton" that
> getys swapped in, but I can't see it (looked in Chrome of Firefox). Firebug
> tells me it is on the page somewhere.

It's the 'Quick Reference' link at the top. I hope for a 'show' link
close to where the sidebar is hidden or something similar.

--
Peter Ledbrook
Grails Advocate

Re: Proposal for new-look user guide

pledbrook
> This is on firefox 3.6.12.
>
> You have to click on add proxy within the usage page.

It's browser specific. The above works fine with Chrome. Looks like a
problem with <base>. I can probably remove the requirement for <base>
in the documentation generator.

--
Peter Ledbrook
Grails Advocate

Re: Proposal for new-look user guide

smaldini
I have the said bug on Chrome too.

On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 1:12 PM, Peter Ledbrook <[hidden email]> wrote:
> This is on firefox 3.6.12.
>
> You have to click on add proxy within the usage page.

It's browser specific. The above works fine with Chrome. Looks like a
problem with <base>. I can probably remove the requirement for <base>
in the documentation generator.

--
Peter Ledbrook
Grails Advocate

Stéphane MALDINI
doc4web consultant
http://fr.linkedin.com/in/smaldini

Re: Proposal for new-look user guide

Martin S.
Looks good in Safari on Mac OS X

Martin

On 2010-11-03, at 8:40 AM, Peter Ledbrook wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Stéphane Maldini and his designer have kindly provided a new skin for
> the Grails user guide. You can check it out on the beta site:
>
>    http://beta.grails.org/doc/latest/guide/
>
> The key for me is that each page now has a unique URL, thus making it
> much easier to link into the chapters and reference sections. Also,
> this would be the look for the application and plugin docs generated
> by the 'grails doc' command. It will hopefully be possible in the
> future to simply drop in your own templates too.
>
> Please feel free to suggest improvements for the docs on this list.
> For example, it would be nice if initially only the headings for each
> reference section were visible.
>
> Finally, I would like to give a big thanks to Stéphane and his unnamed
> designer for contributing the changes.
>
> Peter
>
> --
> Peter Ledbrook
> Grails Advocate
> SpringSource - A Division of VMware

Martin Saucier
Solutions Architect | VRM Technologies Ltd.
T: 506.874.8906
F: 506.851.5458
E: [hidden email]
http://www.vrmtechnologies.com

Re: Proposal for new-look user guide

tomas lin
Also, all references to img directory are broken, but probably because
that directory was not copied over.