Quantcast

Proposal to start using StackOverflow for Grails programming questions

Proposal to start using StackOverflow for Grails programming questions

Mike Sickler
This mailing list is great for discussion, but the vast majority of traffic (and there's a lot of it) is 'How Do I ....' questions.

 I suggest that we start using StackOverflow for programming-related questions, and reserve the mailing list for announcements and discussion.

Who's with me? :)

-Mike

Re: Proposal to start using StackOverflow for Grails programming questions

bdrhoa
I'd 2nd that, mainly because it's easier to made code easier to read.
Plus there's already a good start of grails questions there.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/grails

Paolo DiCanio
Totally agree. Stackoverflow is a much more effective system for asking/answering programming questions than a mailing list.

Re: Proposal to start using StackOverflow for Grails programming questions

Mike Sickler
Yes, and it's very easy to search old questions, they have RSS feeds, and obviously we can up/down vote answers (and questions)

Not to mention you can edit what you've said :)!

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 11:33 AM, Brad Rhoads<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'd 2nd that, mainly because it's easier to made code easier to read.
> Plus there's already a good start of grails questions there.
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/grails
>

> On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 10:05 AM, Mike Sickler<[hidden email]> wrote:
>> This mailing list is great for discussion, but the vast majority of traffic
>> (and there's a lot of it) is 'How Do I ....' questions.
>>  I suggest that we start using StackOverflow for programming-related
>> questions, and reserve the mailing list for announcements and discussion.
>> Who's with me? :)
>> -Mike
>>

> --
> ---------------------------
> www.maf.org/rhoads
> www.ontherhoads.org

Re: Proposal to start using StackOverflow for Grails programming questions

Shilad Sen-2
Great idea!  For those who are interested, here's a link to the rss feed for questions tagged with "grails": http://stackoverflow.com/feeds/tag/grails

-Shilad

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 12:51 PM, Brad Rhoads <[hidden email]> wrote:
Not to mention you can edit what you've said :)!

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 11:33 AM, Brad Rhoads<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'd 2nd that, mainly because it's easier to made code easier to read.
> Plus there's already a good start of grails questions there.
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/grails
>

> On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 10:05 AM, Mike Sickler<[hidden email]> wrote:
>> This mailing list is great for discussion, but the vast majority of traffic
>> (and there's a lot of it) is 'How Do I ....' questions.
>>  I suggest that we start using StackOverflow for programming-related
>> questions, and reserve the mailing list for announcements and discussion.
>> Who's with me? :)
>> -Mike
>>

> --
> ---------------------------
> www.maf.org/rhoads
> www.ontherhoads.org

Re: Proposal to start using StackOverflow for Grails programming questions

ksmith
I agree.

I've only been on this mailing list for a week and find it totally unusable... I was about to unsubscribe and thought I'd 2nd this motion before doing so.  The Markmail is a nice archive, but still too much noise.

The tagging and voting on answers in stackoverflow would be a huge help to filter through the clutter.

adios,
Kevin

On Aug 18, 2009, at 2:57 PM, Shilad Sen wrote:

Great idea!  For those who are interested, here's a link to the rss feed for questions tagged with "grails": http://stackoverflow.com/feeds/tag/grails

-Shilad

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 12:51 PM, Brad Rhoads <[hidden email]> wrote:
Not to mention you can edit what you've said :)!

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 11:33 AM, Brad Rhoads<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'd 2nd that, mainly because it's easier to made code easier to read.
> Plus there's already a good start of grails questions there.
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/grails
>

> On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 10:05 AM, Mike Sickler<[hidden email]> wrote:
>> This mailing list is great for discussion, but the vast majority of traffic
>> (and there's a lot of it) is 'How Do I ....' questions.
>>  I suggest that we start using StackOverflow for programming-related
>> questions, and reserve the mailing list for announcements and discussion.
>> Who's with me? :)
>> -Mike
>>

> --
> ---------------------------
> www.maf.org/rhoads
> www.ontherhoads.org

Re: Proposal to start using StackOverflow for Grails programming questions

lucastex
Is this the *old* discussion on having somewhere outside this list?

If the list isn't the correct place, I'd prefer a forum, specially in spring forums, since it would give credibility and visibility.

[]s,

Lucas Frare Teixeira .·.
- [hidden email]
- blog.lucastex.com
- twitter.com/lucastex

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 7:42 PM, Kevin Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:
I agree.

I've only been on this mailing list for a week and find it totally unusable... I was about to unsubscribe and thought I'd 2nd this motion before doing so.  The Markmail is a nice archive, but still too much noise.

The tagging and voting on answers in stackoverflow would be a huge help to filter through the clutter.

adios,
Kevin

On Aug 18, 2009, at 2:57 PM, Shilad Sen wrote:

Great idea!  For those who are interested, here's a link to the rss feed for questions tagged with "grails": http://stackoverflow.com/feeds/tag/grails

-Shilad

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 12:51 PM, Brad Rhoads <[hidden email]> wrote:
Not to mention you can edit what you've said :)!

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 11:33 AM, Brad Rhoads<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'd 2nd that, mainly because it's easier to made code easier to read.
> Plus there's already a good start of grails questions there.
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/grails
>

> On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 10:05 AM, Mike Sickler<[hidden email]> wrote:
>> This mailing list is great for discussion, but the vast majority of traffic
>> (and there's a lot of it) is 'How Do I ....' questions.
>>  I suggest that we start using StackOverflow for programming-related
>> questions, and reserve the mailing list for announcements and discussion.
>> Who's with me? :)
>> -Mike
>>

> --
> ---------------------------
> www.maf.org/rhoads
> www.ontherhoads.org

Re: Proposal to start using StackOverflow for Grails programming questions

Mike Sickler
I'm suggesting that the specific "I'm having trouble with X" questions would be more appropriate on StackOverflow. It was designed for those kinds of conversations. Lots of users are on StackOverflow (they're up to almost 1M page views a day) - a typical JQuery or Java question might be answered in a matter of minutes (sometimes seconds).

What's more, by moving to Stack Overflow, our grails questions would get more exposure to experts on Spring or Hibernate (or other Grails-related technologies), who might not necessarily be on the Grails mailing list, but could answer our question. We all use Grails, Groovy, Javascript, Spring, Hibernate, CSS, etc. Why not engage with a site that handles all of those questions?

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 7:00 PM, Lucas F. A. Teixeira <[hidden email]> wrote:
Is this the *old* discussion on having somewhere outside this list?

If the list isn't the correct place, I'd prefer a forum, specially in spring forums, since it would give credibility and visibility.

[]s,

Lucas Frare Teixeira .·.
- [hidden email]
- blog.lucastex.com
- twitter.com/lucastex

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 7:42 PM, Kevin Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:
I agree.

I've only been on this mailing list for a week and find it totally unusable... I was about to unsubscribe and thought I'd 2nd this motion before doing so.  The Markmail is a nice archive, but still too much noise.

The tagging and voting on answers in stackoverflow would be a huge help to filter through the clutter.

adios,
Kevin

On Aug 18, 2009, at 2:57 PM, Shilad Sen wrote:

Great idea!  For those who are interested, here's a link to the rss feed for questions tagged with "grails": http://stackoverflow.com/feeds/tag/grails

-Shilad

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 12:51 PM, Brad Rhoads <[hidden email]> wrote:
Not to mention you can edit what you've said :)!

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 11:33 AM, Brad Rhoads<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'd 2nd that, mainly because it's easier to made code easier to read.
> Plus there's already a good start of grails questions there.
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/grails
>

> On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 10:05 AM, Mike Sickler<[hidden email]> wrote:
>> This mailing list is great for discussion, but the vast majority of traffic
>> (and there's a lot of it) is 'How Do I ....' questions.
>>  I suggest that we start using StackOverflow for programming-related
>> questions, and reserve the mailing list for announcements and discussion.
>> Who's with me? :)
>> -Mike
>>

> --
> ---------------------------
> www.maf.org/rhoads
> www.ontherhoads.org

Re: Proposal to start using StackOverflow for Grails programming questions

Tom Nichols
FWIW, I've found Nabble's archive to be better than MarkMail, and
archiving mailing list emails in GMail makes it relatively easy to
search through, but I've always thought a public forum would make The
discussions more visible.

Something has to be said for the ability to reply to a question via
email though.

-Tom

On Tuesday, August 18, 2009, Kevin Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I agree.
> I've only been on this mailing list for a week and find it totally unusable... I was about to unsubscribe and thought I'd 2nd this motion before doing so.  The Markmail is a nice archive, but still too much noise.
> The tagging and voting on answers in stackoverflow would be a huge help to filter through the clutter.
> adios,Kevin
>
> On Aug 18, 2009, at 2:57 PM, Shilad Sen wrote:
> Great idea!  For those who are interested, here's a link to the rss feed for questions tagged with "grails": http://stackoverflow.com/feeds/tag/grails
>
> -Shilad
>

> On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 12:51 PM, Brad Rhoads <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  Not to mention you can edit what you've said :)!
>
>  On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 11:33 AM, Brad Rhoads<[hidden email]> wrote:
>  > I'd 2nd that, mainly because it's easier to made code easier to read.
>  > Plus there's already a good start of grails questions there.
>  >
>  > http://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/grails
>  >
>  >
>  > On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 10:05 AM, Mike Sickler<[hidden email]> wrote:
>  >> This mailing list is great for discussion, but the vast majority of traffic
>  >> (and there's a lot of it) is 'How Do I ....' questions.
>  >>  I suggest that we start using StackOverflow for programming-related
>  >> questions, and reserve the mailing list for announcements and discussion.
>  >> Who's with me? :)
>  >> -Mike
>  >>
>  >
>  >
>  >
>  > --
>  > ---------------------------
>  > www.maf.org/rhoads
>  > www.ontherhoads.org
>  >
>

>  --
>
>     http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email

Re: Proposal to start using StackOverflow for Grails programming questions

Ray Tayek
At 11:57 AM 8/18/2009, you wrote:
Great idea!  For those who are interested, here's a link to the rss feed for questions tagged with "grails": http://stackoverflow.com/feeds/tag/grails

-Shilad

how about building a stackoverflow for groovy, grails, griffon, etc. in *grails*?

thanks

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 12:51 PM, Brad Rhoads <[hidden email]> wrote:
Not to mention you can edit what you've said :)!

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 11:33 AM, Brad Rhoads<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'd 2nd that, mainly because it's easier to made code easier to read.
> Plus there's already a good start of grails questions there.
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/grails ...

---
co-chair http://ocjug.org/

Re: Proposal to start using StackOverflow for Grails programming questions

Daniel Honig
Let me just add -1 to the stack overflow idea.  I'm not exactly sure that I would consider Stack Overflow an 'Open Community'.  I think it Grails has a large and vibrant community and a mailing list is definetly the way to go here.  As some have suggested markmail and Nabble offer a more 'forum' like way to view and search threads. Perhaps these can resolve your grievances?

I think stack overflow is a worthwhile site but I'm not sure it should replace the mailing list.   However I do believe that participation from community members on stack overflow can only help to promote the grails community and make it stronger.

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 12:05 PM, Mike Sickler <[hidden email]> wrote:
This mailing list is great for discussion, but the vast majority of traffic (and there's a lot of it) is 'How Do I ....' questions.

 I suggest that we start using StackOverflow for programming-related questions, and reserve the mailing list for announcements and discussion.

Who's with me? :)

-Mike

Re: Proposal to start using StackOverflow for Grails programming questions

Mike Sickler
Daniel,

On what basis do you think that SO is not an open community? You can ask questions and answer them without even having to login.

I won't belabor this point any further, but my main grievance with the mailing list is that while there are some threads that I enjoy following, a lot of the emails consist of back-and-forth of the "I'm having trouble with X", "Did you try Y?" variety.  Every question, answer, and comment results in a new email blast to everyone on this list. I suspect that this discourages people from asking followup questions, asking for clarification, etc.

I'm not aiming to take down the mailing list, but rather leave the mailing list for discussion, and move the 'How do I' questions to StackOverflow.
Anyway, that's my last word on the subject.

Thanks,
Mike

On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 12:07 AM, Daniel Honig <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Michael Mellinger-3
I posted this question for Groovy last Nov.   This is simply not possible on a mailing list.

I believe there were about 30 questions for Groovy and around the same for Grails in Nov.  These topics have grown but they are way behind the others (Perl, Python, Ruby, etc).

[...]

Ilya Sterin
I've never not followed up with a question/answer because I thought
people would get blasted with emails?  That's what email filters are
for.  I have a gmail account specifically dedicated to lists and
groups and I filter list traffic into their respective labels and view
them as I wish.

Ilya

On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 12:19 AM, Mike Sickler<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Daniel,
> On what basis do you think that SO is not an open community? You can ask
> questions and answer them without even having to login.
> I won't belabor this point any further, but my main grievance with the
> mailing list is that while there are some threads that I enjoy following, a
> lot of the emails consist of back-and-forth of the "I'm having trouble with
> X", "Did you try Y?" variety.  Every question, answer, and comment results
> in a new email blast to everyone on this list. I suspect that this
> discourages people from asking followup questions, asking for clarification,
> etc.
> I'm not aiming to take down the mailing list, but rather leave the mailing
> list for discussion, and move the 'How do I' questions to StackOverflow.
> Anyway, that's my last word on the subject.
> Thanks,
> Mike
>
> On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 12:07 AM, Daniel Honig <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Let me just add -1 to the stack overflow idea.  I'm not exactly sure that
>> I would consider Stack Overflow an 'Open Community'.  I think it Grails has
>> a large and vibrant community and a mailing list is definetly the way to go
>> here.  As some have suggested markmail and Nabble offer a more 'forum' like
>> way to view and search threads. Perhaps these can resolve your grievances?
>>
>> I think stack overflow is a worthwhile site but I'm not sure it should
>> replace the mailing list.   However I do believe that participation from
>> community members on stack overflow can only help to promote the grails
>> community and make it stronger.
>>

>> On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 12:05 PM, Mike Sickler <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> This mailing list is great for discussion, but the vast majority of
>>> traffic (and there's a lot of it) is 'How Do I ....' questions.
>>>  I suggest that we start using StackOverflow for programming-related
>>> questions, and reserve the mailing list for announcements and discussion.
>>> Who's with me? :)
>>> -Mike

Re: Proposal to start using StackOverflow for Grails programming questions

Ilya Sterin
I guess if you're not using gmail :-), then it's hard to follow
conversations.  After exclusively using gmail's conversational thread
feature, all other email systems are just obsolete as far as I'm
concerned.

Ilya