Quartz plugins. In the end there can be only one.

Quartz plugins. In the end there can be only one.

Vitalii Samolovskikh aka Kefir
Hi All,

There are two Quartz plugins, quartz and quartz2. Now both of them use
Quartz 2. Quartz plugin is used by 26% of Grails users and quartz2
plugin is used by 6%. My Asynchronous Mail plugin needs Quartz. But I
can't support both of them. We should decide which one will stay alive
and which one will die.

Bye
--
Vitalii Samolovskikh aka Kefir

Re: Quartz plugins. In the end there can be only one.

Graeme Rocher
Administrator
Original Quartz plugin for me

http://www.springsource.com

http://www.springsource.com

Re: Quartz plugins. In the end there can be only one.

Ryan Vanderwerf
I think the reason the quartz2 plugin came about is the reason for the current curation process. People were just making new plugins because it was easier than working with and getting cooperation with existing ones. Also quartz 2 made breaking api changes and were probably afraid people still might need Quartz 1.8. The reason I put effort into the original quartz plugin is because quartz2 used a groovy class instead of JobDetailsImpl thus breaking Terracotta compatability.  I really wanted to move my stack from Terracotta 3.4, tomcat6 to Terracotta 3.7 with Tomcat 7 and quartz was the last thing holding it back.

Cheers

Ryan

From my Android phone on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network.

Re: Quartz plugins. In the end there can be only one.

basejump (Josh)
I agree and would be more than happy to merge in the quartz2 changes. I had a fairly detailed explanation of "the why" behind the quartz2 fork here https://github.com/9ci/grails-quartz2
We needed 3 things that were not happening in the original quartz plugin after some dev emails and direct contact with the original author. 1) Grails 2 compatibility, 2) quartz 2 compatibility and 3) the ability to dynamically setup jobs in config.
the first 2 are taken care of now with the new fork here https://github.com/grails-plugins/grails-quartz so we just need some of the utility classes and config code from our current quartz2.
Can you add me as a commiter to the project and I can help merge the changes in. I'll create a branch for review over the next week with the changes.

On Dec 28, 2012, at 8:13 AM, Ryan Vanderwerf wrote:

I think the reason the quartz2 plugin came about is the reason for the current curation process. People were just making new plugins because it was easier than working with and getting cooperation with existing ones. Also quartz 2 made breaking api changes and were probably afraid people still might need Quartz 1.8. The reason I put effort into the original quartz plugin is because quartz2 used a groovy class instead of JobDetailsImpl thus breaking Terracotta compatability.  I really wanted to move my stack from Terracotta 3.4, tomcat6 to Terracotta 3.7 with Tomcat 7 and quartz was the last thing holding it back.

Cheers

Ryan

From my Android phone on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network.

Re: Quartz plugins. In the end there can be only one.

James Cook
On this subject I have updated the quartz-monitor plugin to be compatible with the latest quartz 1.0-RC4 (namely Grails 2 and Quartz 2)

The version is now 0.3-RC1, comments welcome.

I will move it to a full version when the quartz plugin does the same.

Regards
James

On 28 December 2012 21:00, Ryan Vanderwerf <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

From my Android phone on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network.

Re: Quartz plugins. In the end there can be only one.

Ryan Vanderwerf
Great thanks!

Ryan

From my Android phone on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network.