Quick start code

tog

Quick start code

tog
Graeme,

Would it be possible to get the Quick Start sample. I got problems in
trying to make it running on my box and so far I did not
find it in the distribution. This problem does not seem related to my
previous cygwin report.

cheers
tog

RE: Quick start code

Dierk König
in the samples dir there is SampleGenerator.groovy that
'plays' the keystrokes a newcomer would do for a
Quickstart. ATM it's only designed for Win OS.

go to samples dir and start via
 groovy SampleGenerator

(you currently need direct online access to do that
since it downloads the WebTest support)

cheers
Mittie

tog

Re: Quick start code

tog
Hi Dierk,

Thanks for the help.
I replay this under cygwin manually and I get a nice web page displayed.
Nevertheless, I would
prefer to have the original sample which different steps are in the
Quick Start since it  nicely covers
the different steps in building a new Grails apps from scratch.
For example the steps in the Quick Start and the SampleGenerator are not
the same ?

cheers
tog

Dierk Koenig a écrit :

> in the samples dir there is SampleGenerator.groovy that
> 'plays' the keystrokes a newcomer would do for a
> Quickstart. ATM it's only designed for Win OS.
>
> go to samples dir and start via
>  groovy SampleGenerator
>
> (you currently need direct online access to do that
> since it downloads the WebTest support)
>
> cheers
> Mittie

RE: Quick start code

Dierk König
> For example the steps in the Quick Start and the SampleGenerator are not
> the same ?

I didn't even check :-)

Honestly, the SampleGenerator is in his very early days.
I plan to evolve it into a full functional testing facility
for self-testing Grails automatically from a user's perspective.

On the other hand, the code in SampleGenerator should
always remain comprehensible for newcomers. Now here the
acid test: if you read the code, is it clear enough
what user actions it 'plays'?

(If not, we may want to read them from a file like a DSL)

cheers
Mittie

> cheers
> tog
>

> Dierk Koenig a écrit :
> > in the samples dir there is SampleGenerator.groovy that
> > 'plays' the keystrokes a newcomer would do for a
> > Quickstart. ATM it's only designed for Win OS.
> >
> > go to samples dir and start via
> >  groovy SampleGenerator
> >
> > (you currently need direct online access to do that
> > since it downloads the WebTest support)
> >
> > cheers
> > Mittie

tog

Re: Quick start code

tog
Dierk Koenig a écrit :

>> For example the steps in the Quick Start and the SampleGenerator are not
>> the same ?
>>

> I didn't even check :-)
>
> Honestly, the SampleGenerator is in his very early days.
> I plan to evolve it into a full functional testing facility
> for self-testing Grails automatically from a user's perspective.
>
> On the other hand, the code in SampleGenerator should
> always remain comprehensible for newcomers. Now here the
> acid test: if you read the code, is it clear enough
> what user actions it 'plays'?

Well, the SampleGenerator is already impressive and the command issued
are comprehensive
from SampleGenerator. What I am missing the most is the terminology
specific to Grails that
should be conveyed by the samples ;-) (I mean the groovy code composing
the controllers,
views and others ...

cheers
tog

> (If not, we may want to read them from a file like a DSL)
>
> cheers
> Mittie
>

>> cheers
>> tog
>>

>> Dierk Koenig a écrit :
>>
>>> in the samples dir there is SampleGenerator.groovy that
>>> 'plays' the keystrokes a newcomer would do for a
>>> Quickstart. ATM it's only designed for Win OS.
>>>
>>> go to samples dir and start via
>>>  groovy SampleGenerator
>>>
>>> (you currently need direct online access to do that
>>> since it downloads the WebTest support)
>>>
>>> cheers
>>> Mittie

RE: Quick start code

Dierk König
Ah, ok. I misunderstood your point.

The current samples do reflect the terminology partly in terms
of file names (xxxController) but mostly in terms of directory names
(domain, controller, views, ...).

How would that need to be improved to make it working
better as an introduction? Surrounding text? Small 'video'
on how to create the structure?

cheers
Mittie

Re: Quick start code

graemer
Tog, I would be happy to provide you with the code, but the fact is
there isn't any as I tend to just go through the quick start as it
only takes a couple of minutes. I can whip it up for you if you want
though ;-)

I'm not sure I understand entirely the issues you are having as many
users have gone through the QuickStart without a hitch. Maybe if you
describe exactly what the problem is we can help you out, otherwise
have you tried the sample apps in grails/samples?

> Ah, ok. I misunderstood your point.
>
> The current samples do reflect the terminology partly in terms
> of file names (xxxController) but mostly in terms of directory names
> (domain, controller, views, ...).
>
> How would that need to be improved to make it working
> better as an introduction? Surrounding text? Small 'video'
> on how to create the structure?
>
> cheers
> Mittie

tog

Re: Quick start code

tog

Ah, ok. I misunderstood your point.

héhé ;-)

The current samples do reflect the terminology partly in terms
of file names (xxxController) but mostly in terms of directory names
(domain, controller, views, ...).

How would that need to be improved to make it working
better as an introduction? Surrounding text? Small 'video'
on how to create the structure?

Well I think that it would be nice to come up with an introdustion of the different
terms used when building a GRAILS applications (a kind of GRAILS for Dummies
glossary). Then I expect that the code used in the Quick Start which is a step by step approach should be present in the distribution which is not currently the case ;-)

cheers
tog

cheers
Mittie

tog

Re: Quick start code

tog

Tog, I would be happy to provide you with the code, but the fact is
there isn't any as I tend to just go through the quick start as it
only takes a couple of minutes. I can whip it up for you if you want
though ;-)

Argh, I am more dummy than dumies ;-)
In fact what I did was to change slightly the Quick Start to adapt it to my needs.
May be I did something wrong there !
I will check and post the error I get when running my application.

I'm not sure I understand entirely the issues you are having as many
users have gone through the QuickStart without a hitch. Maybe if you
describe exactly what the problem is we can help you out, otherwise
have you tried the sample apps in grails/samples?

not yet.
cheers
tog

> Ah, ok. I misunderstood your point.
>
> The current samples do reflect the terminology partly in terms
> of file names (xxxController) but mostly in terms of directory names
> (domain, controller, views, ...).
>
> How would that need to be improved to make it working
> better as an introduction? Surrounding text? Small 'video'
> on how to create the structure?
>
> cheers
> Mittie

Re: Quick start code

On 06/03/06, tog <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 3/6/06, Dierk Koenig <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Ah, ok. I misunderstood your point.
>
> héhé ;-)
>
> > The current samples do reflect the terminology partly in terms
> > of file names (xxxController) but mostly in terms of directory names
> > (domain, controller, views, ...).
> >
> > How would that need to be improved to make it working
> > better as an introduction? Surrounding text? Small 'video'
> > on how to create the structure?
>
> Well I think that it would be nice to come up with an introdustion of the
> different
> terms used when building a GRAILS applications (a kind of GRAILS for Dummies
>  glossary). Then I expect that the code used in the Quick Start which is a
> step by step approach should be present in the distribution which is not
> currently the case ;-)

This is a good point, I do think we need some docs like "An
Introduction to Grails" or something, to explain what a controller is,
a domain class etc.

But this will more likely be in the User Guide not in the QuickStart
which is designed to get you up and running quickly

Speaking of which we could change the QuickStart to use scaffolding to
make it even shorter. What do you think Dierk?

Graeme

> cheers
> tog
>

> > cheers
> > Mittie

Re: Quick start code

Russel Winder
On Mon, 2006-03-06 at 10:31 +0100, tog wrote:

> Well I think that it would be nice to come up with an introdustion of
> the different
> terms used when building a GRAILS applications (a kind of GRAILS for
> Dummies
> glossary). Then I expect that the code used in the Quick Start which
> is a step by step approach should be present in the distribution which
> is not currently the case ;-)

Perhaps the issue may be that the documentation assumes that the reader
knows that Grails is an MVC architecture system?

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder                +44 20 7585 2200

RE: Quick start code

Dierk König
> This is a good point, I do think we need some docs like "An
> Introduction to Grails" or something, to explain what a controller is,
> a domain class etc.

I think we can assume that a programmer knows the MVC terms and
therefore a link to wikipedia should be sufficient.

But a valuable thing would be to explain what is special about
a domain object in Grails:
- what makes an object a domain object?
  (dir placement, id, version)
- what are the Grails specifics about it?
  (transparent mapping, used as source for scaffolding,
   toString() used in standard views, ...)
- what are the restrictions?
  (should not do service or control logic, ...)

> But this will more likely be in the User Guide not in the QuickStart
> which is designed to get you up and running quickly
>
> Speaking of which we could change the QuickStart to use scaffolding to
> make it even shorter. What do you think Dierk?

Yes, I agree the QuickStart should be the shortest possible
path to a running application and scaffolding via 'generate-'
is one way.
Using "@Property scaffold=true" would be an alternative that
produces less code but needs manual intervention...

cheers
Mittie

Re: Quick start code

Guillaume Laforge-2
> [...]
> This is a good point, I do think we need some docs like "An
> Introduction to Grails" or something, to explain what a controller is,
> a domain class etc.

Especially if we want to attract script kiddies and PHP developers who
aren't particularly used to that model of programming web apps.

> But this will more likely be in the User Guide not in the QuickStart
> which is designed to get you up and running quickly

Agreed.

--
Guillaume Laforge
Groovy Project Manager
http://glaforge.free.fr/blog/groovy
tog

Re: Quick start code

tog
Graeme Rocher a écrit :

> This is a good point, I do think we need some docs like "An
> Introduction to Grails" or something, to explain what a controller is,
> a domain class etc.

I think this is typically the information that is missing. If you are
arguing that your technology is a
breakthrough in the way to develop web application, I think you have to
prove it ;-) And the best
way to do so is to imagine you will attract people that are not familiar
with such development -
therefore you must teach them from the very beginning your dialect. But
MVC is a general term
that is not specific at all to GRAILS ;-). For example, I am familiar
with Views, JSP, ... and many
of these individual terms, waht is missing from my point of view is the
high level view on how they
glue together.

> But this will more likely be in the User Guide not in the QuickStart
> which is designed to get you up and running quickly

yep, probably.
> Speaking of which we could change the QuickStart to use scaffolding to
> make it even shorter. What do you think Dierk?

Well, I finally got it running and I agree with Graeme that this Quick
Start is not very long. Having it
shorter could probably obfuscate it a bit (at least it is a risk !).

What about a kind of tutorial that would constuct step by step an
application from a dummy one to a
close to real life one. Each of the step should be an operational
version of the "same" application with
an increasing difficulty. It may for example be the continuation of the
Book Quick start sample !

cheers
tog

> Graeme
>

>> cheers
>> tog
>>

>>> cheers
>>> Mittie

RE: Quick start code

Dierk König
> What about a kind of tutorial that would constuct step by step an
> application from a dummy one to a
> close to real life one. Each of the step should be an operational
> version of the "same" application with
> an increasing difficulty. It may for example be the continuation of the
> Book Quick start sample !

I currently write an intro as chapter 15.
(I hope my envisioned example doesn't prove too complicated, though.)

If follows a bit of a different approach:
Two developers build a Grails application and the chapter is a recording
of their conversation while programming.

cheers
Mittie
tog

Re: Quick start code

tog
Dierk Koenig a écrit :
> I currently write an intro as chapter 15.
> (I hope my envisioned example doesn't prove too complicated, though.)

we also need complicated (or realistic) examples ;-)
> If follows a bit of a different approach:
> Two developers build a Grails application and the chapter is a recording
> of their conversation while programming.

héhé interesting excercice ? I wish I could read this soon.
cheers
tog