Re: Outsourcing Grails work?

tomas lin
I would suggest contacting either:

IntelliGrape (India) - http://www.intelligrape.com/
Orange and Bronze (Philippines) - http://orangeandbronze.com/

and see if they meet your requirements. The company I was with (Isobar) did a project with IntelliGrape a few years back and they seemed quite happy with the results.

I know a few companies here in the UK have engagements with companies in Poland, but the details are a little muddy.

On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 5:41 PM, John Moore <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've been contacted by someone I've worked with in the past, based in
Silicon Valley, wanting my input on a rather large scale software
project they need to undertake. They're rather strapped for cash, and
they're hoping to get the design done in-house but actually outsource
the majority of the development work to somewhere like Eastern Europe or
India, where labour costs are rather lower.

They're not committed to any particular technology yet, and various
options have been discussed by others (PHP and Rails among them). Of
course, having looked at the requirements, my first instinct is to say
that it's a perfect match for Grails (because I've been working for a
while with Grails and tend to think a lot of things are a perfect match
for Grails). I'm not sure Grails would work for their outsourcing plan,
though. I'm not sure how many people are working with Grails in the kind
of areas I mentioned, such that it would be a viable option. I'd like to
think that the productivity gains with Grails are such that they
wouldn't need to outsource to somewhere cheap, but I'm not sure I could
convince them of that.

Just wondering what others' take on this might be, particularly anyone
who's had experience of outsourcing development/programming work.

Re: Outsourcing Grails work?

Detlef Brendle
Hi,

I've been working with Grails and Groovy for quite a while now. And from what I have seen is that
people start wprking with Grails get to know the basics very fast.
However when implementing a large application I believe that it is crutual to have a grails expert on board
from the very first day until feature completeness.
This makes sense because otherwise the project can easily end in a very messy state depending on
the developers maturity. Some developers do things different than others and an inconsistent code style is the result.

In case they should also consider Canoo Engineering AG, Basel / Switzerland as a software partner.
Check out www.canoo.com for more details. People like

Dierk Koenig - well known person in the Groovy/Grails community, author of Groovy in Action and other books
Andres Almiray - Java champion and project lead of the Griffon framework
Matthias Huber - Grails trainer and Groovy expert
Detlef Brendle  - (me) Grails/Groovy/Gradle expert

and many more excellent Software designers work there. I know Switzerland is not a low salary country, but
in that case I would go for experts, rather than cheap code labour.

Detlef

Am 14.08.2013 19:20, schrieb Tomas Lin:
[...]

Canoo Engineering AG

Detlef Brendle
Canoo Engineering AG
Kirschgartenstrasse 5
CH-4051 Basel

Tel: +41 61 228 94 44
Fax: +41 61 228 94 49

[hidden email]
http://www.canoo.com

Re: Outsourcing Grails work?

droggo
I'm working in a Java/Groovy team of 15 people located in Poland. Company is much bigger, more than 1500 employees. We are mostly outsourced by german companies, but we also work with companies from US, Russia, China, etc. Our core competences are with Spring and Grails. Let me know if this is interesting and I can give you contact details to our management. My email is: droggo86 [at] gmail dot com

droggo

Re: Outsourcing Grails work?

John Moore
Many thanks for the replies to my original post here. I'm sorry I missed them earlier, but they never showed up via the mailing list, only via Nabble. (I have a long-term problem with the Grails mailing list which I cannot seem to get to the bottom of, where some of my posts never turn up there, or replies go missing).