Re: Where is the quality gone? (g:radioGroup is broken)

Re: Where is the quality gone? (g:radioGroup is broken)

Andréas Kühne
2013/10/25 Markus Ernst <[hidden email]>

I love Grails, really. But sometimes I'm asking me if I have bet on the right horse.

Especially then when I try updating to the latest version and the simplest things do not work anymore.

For example:

<g:radioGroup> tag generates invalid html code since Grails 2.3. About two weeks ago someone opened GRAILS-10619 for this.

Seems this guy and I are the two only ones affected with this... is no one using this tag or what is the reason that nobody else noticed that?

Why it's possible that such a bug exists in a new release - obviously because there is no test for this :-(

I hope the quality will improve with next releases, and of course that this issue is fixed soon. Thank you!

I agree with you. The quality of releases is not always that great. Some features don't work as advertised (I am having problems with namespaced controllers and tests), and sometimes the information in the documentation is not correct (try following the documentation while creating a test).

I also love grails and the power of the grails platform, but I think that these issues make it hard to use grails in a production environment.

Regards,

Andréas

Andréas

Re: Where is the quality gone? (g:radioGroup is broken)

Dean Del Ponte-2
I also agree.

I've found that updating to a new minor release (i.e. going from 2.2.4 to 2.3.0) can be problematic.

My recommendation is waiting until the third build of the new release, in this case 2.3.2.

Why do I say this?

2.2.4 is very solid
2.3.0 will have bugs
2.3.1 will fix bugs, but introduce new ones
2.3.2 should have most bugs and annoyances fixed

I find this to be true with most software, not just Grails.

Regards,

Dean Del Ponte

On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 9:58 AM, rajesh kumar <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

sergiomichels
I agree with Dean. A good approach is to maintain branches of your application, one for production and one for new Grails versions, with that you can provide feedback to the new release without interfering in your production version.

But I also know that sometimes this is hard to do, here I still need to find time to try to migrate and provide more feedback to 2.3.x

--
Sérgio Michels

On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 1:30 PM, Dean Del Ponte <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

tomas lin
If you're on grails 2.3.x, you can use this script to test against the nightly builds in Grails and file JIRA issues when things break.

If more people do this, it will help catch regressions a lot quicker.

On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 4:37 PM, Sergio Michels <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

John Moore
I know how frustrating this can be (I tend to hold off going for new releases for a little while). But in the case of the radioGroup tag problem, it sounds like as if it should be a simple enough fix, which could be done without impacting other areas. Have you thought of fixing it and contributing to the source?

http://grails.org/doc/latest/guide/contributing.html

It's not something I've ever done myself, I will confess, but I do feel I ought to. I get a hell of a lot of stuff for free with Grails, and I do want to give something back. The main reason I don't is that I worry my contributions wouldn't be up to scratch - Graeme and the guys are operating on a wholly different level from me. But I'd probably give it a go for some simple bug fixes nonetheless.

Re: Where is the quality gone? (g:radioGroup is broken)

sergiomichels
+1 for the last three replies.

@John If someone don't feel comfortable with bug fix, there's other areas to help like answering questions, testing, helping with the docs.

--
Sérgio Michels

On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 1:40 PM, John Moore <[hidden email]> wrote:
I know how frustrating this can be (I tend to hold off going for new releases
for a little while). But in the case of the radioGroup tag problem, it
sounds like as if it should be a simple enough fix, which could be done
without impacting other areas. Have you thought of fixing it and
contributing to the source?

http://grails.org/doc/latest/guide/contributing.html

It's not something I've ever done myself, I will confess, but I do feel I
ought to. I get a hell of a lot of stuff for free with Grails, and I do want
to give something back. The main reason I don't is that I worry my
contributions wouldn't be up to scratch - Graeme and the guys are operating
on a wholly different level from me. But I'd probably give it a go for some
simple bug fixes nonetheless.

Re: Where is the quality gone? (g:radioGroup is broken)

bobbywarner
This radioGroup issue has been fixed by Lari and there is now a corresponding test.  The fix will be in 2.3.2.

The JIRA referenced below (10619) is actually a duplicate of another one (9067).

Specific commit:

Thanks,
Bobby

On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 8:28 AM, Markus Ernst <[hidden email]> wrote:

I love Grails, really. But sometimes I'm asking me if I have bet on the right horse.

Especially then when I try updating to the latest version and the simplest things do not work anymore.

For example:

<g:radioGroup> tag generates invalid html code since Grails 2.3. About two weeks ago someone opened GRAILS-10619 for this.

Seems this guy and I are the two only ones affected with this... is no one using this tag or what is the reason that nobody else noticed that?

Why it's possible that such a bug exists in a new release - obviously because there is no test for this :-(

I hope the quality will improve with next releases, and of course that this issue is fixed soon. Thank you!

Re: Where is the quality gone? (g:radioGroup is broken)

Roberto Guerra
What if we can't fix the 'issue'? I've tried a couple times to compile grails in my own machine and it is not straight forward. There needs to be more resources on how to get started hacking on the grails code base. I know Bobby Warner has a blog post about this, but it is the only resource that I know of that has any useful information about this.

Secondly, you mean people should just stop 'whining'  and not mention when something might be broken? Do you prefer people just laud the grails core team with praises?

On 25-Oct-2013, at 9:37 AM, Sebastien Blanc <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

What I think that Sebastien tried to remember is that we can get involved and change since it's open, but surely things must be reported.

The docs have a section for building Grails from the source, maybe it helps you? http://grails.org/doc/latest/guide/contributing.html#build

--
Sérgio Michels

On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 5:37 PM, Roberto Guerra <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

rlovtangen
My track record of building the grails codebase is somewhat troubled as well.
Anyway, here's a good resource to get started hacking: http://gr8conf.eu/Presentations/Grails-Under-The-Hood

Ronny

On Oct 25, 2013, at 9:37 PM, Roberto Guerra <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

I know, it says so on the page.
Has this presentation been filmed on another occasion? GR8Conf US maybe?

Ronny

On Oct 25, 2013, at 9:57 PM, Sergio Michels <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

I also did a talk at last year's GGX conference and the video is online.  The talk was meant to be a follow up to my blog post mentioned earlier on this thread.

Hope that helps!
Bobby

On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 3:03 PM, Ronny Løvtangen <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

MarkusE
Thank you for all of your responses, and a very special THANK-YOU to Lari
Hotari who fixed the g:radioGroup tag already!

I completely agree with Sebastien Blanc, Tomas Lin and John Moore.
Especially what John said could have come straight from my heart. I'd love
contributing to the source, but - I'm so sorry - this is definitely at a
different level than I am. Lari fixed this issue in about 15 minutes and
added tests too... ok, it was not that much code, but I marvel at and have
no idea what's going on.

So you can imagine, that whenever I stumble over an issue (especially when
upgrading to a newer Grails version) I need a lot of time to make sure that
it's not my fault. That means I spend a lot of time in reading the docs
(which are not always that accurate), browse through JIRAs, mailing list,
stackoverflow and so on. And finally if I'm really sure that I found a bug,
I try to file a comprehensible JIRA issue with reproducible code. Even in
this case (radioGroup) it took me probably about 10 times as long as Lari
needed to fix it (probably also because I need too much time to express me
with my not so good English skills).

So I'm already contributing a little bit with issue reporting. Nevertheless,
I'll try to find time to do what Tomas said (test against the nightly
builds) and hope that in future I can prevent at least one issue before the
next release is here :-)

A big thank you to all professional Grails programmers, hackers and the
whole community - it's amazing what you do!

Re: Where is the quality gone? (g:radioGroup is broken)

Sebastian Gozin
Ahmad,

I think that's uncalled for.