Re:

Jonathan Carlson
I am "second"ing John Winn's request.

On 3/26/06, John Winn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>  Working with GRAILS is proving excellent still, though one problem I
am
> encountering is that I don't want to do everything in hiernate all
the time
> as there are some functions that I want direct SQL access to the
database.
> Is there any "global" variable, or way i can execute a SQL statement
> directly against the configured datasource? Perhaps I have missed
something,
> but it would be excellent if I could. I am working against a legacy,
not so
> well designed database, and I would love direct access int he
controllers to
> the datasource.
>
>  Any ideas?
Yes we should be able to execute abituary SQL statements, but at the
moment this is not possible please raise an issue for this.

the system manager.

Katun Corporation -- www.katun.com

Re: Re:

Steven Devijver
I want to take the opportunity to point out that whatever we do Grails
needs to stay simple for beginning users.

This request won't affect Grails but we have to keep this in mind as
more feature requests come in. Every feature we add needs to be added
to the documentation and risks confusing people and send them down the
wrong path.

Every feature that we add needs to be regarded in this respect.

Steven

On 3/27/06, Jonathan Carlson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am "second"ing John Winn's request.

> On 3/26/06, John Winn <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> > Hi,
> >  Working with GRAILS is proving excellent still, though one problem I
> am
> > encountering is that I don't want to do everything in hiernate all
> the time
> > as there are some functions that I want direct SQL access to the
> database.
> > Is there any "global" variable, or way i can execute a SQL statement
> > directly against the configured datasource? Perhaps I have missed
> something,
> > but it would be excellent if I could. I am working against a legacy,
> not so
> > well designed database, and I would love direct access int he
> controllers to
> > the datasource.
> >
> >  Any ideas?
> Yes we should be able to execute abituary SQL statements, but at the
> moment this is not possible please raise an issue for this.
>
> Cheers
> Graeme

> the system manager.
>
> Katun Corporation -- www.katun.com

Re: Re:

Stephan.Schmidt
Totally  ACK.

But this mainly depends on the documentation. For example the AR in
Rails
has lots of features, but most documentation doesn't mention  them.

Only users who need those features will find them, novice  users
won't get confused.

bye
-stephan

> I want to take the opportunity to point out that whatever we do Grails
> needs to stay simple for beginning users.
>
> This request won't affect Grails but we have to keep this in mind as
> more feature requests come in. Every feature we add needs to be added
> to the documentation and risks confusing people and send them down the
> wrong path.
>
> Every feature that we add needs to be regarded in this respect.
>
> Steven
>
> On 3/27/06, Jonathan Carlson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I am "second"ing John Winn's request.

>> On 3/26/06, John Winn <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>

>>> Hi,
>>>  Working with GRAILS is proving excellent still, though one
>>> problem I
>> am
>>> encountering is that I don't want to do everything in hiernate all
>> the time
>>> as there are some functions that I want direct SQL access to the
>> database.
>>> Is there any "global" variable, or way i can execute a SQL statement
>>> directly against the configured datasource? Perhaps I have missed
>> something,
>>> but it would be excellent if I could. I am working against a legacy,
>> not so
>>> well designed database, and I would love direct access int he
>> controllers to
>>> the datasource.
>>>
>>>  Any ideas?
>> Yes we should be able to execute abituary SQL statements, but at the
>> moment this is not possible please raise an issue for this.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Graeme

>> _
>> _

>> _
>> are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify
>> the system manager.
>>
>> Katun Corporation -- www.katun.com

   Stephan Schmidt
   [hidden email]

   PRESS ON. Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence.
   Talent will not; nothing in the world is more common than
unsuccessful
   men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a
proverb.
   Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts.
Persistence
   and determination alone are omnipotent. - Calvin Coolidge