Quantcast

Recommendations for search plugin

Joe Greenawalt
I'm writing an app that will rely heavily on search, but it won't be anything fancy, just taking a word or two and searching domain 'title' and 'description' properties.  I'm wondering if anyone would like to chime in on your favorite search plugin for grails that is easy to setup and use and also has some longevity behind it.  What would you recommend?

I've made very 'general' assumptions based on readings that might not be true, feel free to correct them.

Searchable: based on a tech that is at the end of its lifecycle
Elastic: too new and can't run on its own.
Hibernate: heavier and too new, but probably the 'future'?

Thanks,
Joe

Re: Recommendations for search plugin

Thando Mafela
Hi Joe
For a simple search application only searching for a title and a description I would recommend the grails searchable plugin. It is simple to setup - just installl the searchable, specify the fields in your domain to be indexed. I have used elastic search but, it is to complicated plus the latest version requires grails 2.0 + as the earlier version (grails 1.3.7)  has memory leak issues.
Thanks
Thando

--
Thando Mafela
"Within our dreams and aspirations we find our opportunities".
Sue Ebaugh

Re: Recommendations for search plugin

John Cartwright - NOAA Federal
I noticed that you didn't mention the Solr plugin
(http://grails.org/plugin/solr). I don't have any experience w/ it,
but thought it might be among your choices.

--john

On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 10:09 AM, Joe Greenawalt
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm writing an app that will rely heavily on search, but it won't be
> anything fancy, just taking a word or two and searching domain 'title' and
> 'description' properties.  I'm wondering if anyone would like to chime in on
> your favorite search plugin for grails that is easy to setup and use and
> also has some longevity behind it.  What would you recommend?
>
> I've made very 'general' assumptions based on readings that might not be
> true, feel free to correct them.
>
> Searchable: based on a tech that is at the end of its lifecycle
> Elastic: too new and can't run on its own.
> Hibernate: heavier and too new, but probably the 'future'?
>
> Thanks,
> Joe

Re: Recommendations for search plugin

alex_masselot
Or even a mix between searchable to index the data and solr/ajax-solr for the search per se
Alex

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 6:28 PM, John Cartwright <[hidden email]> wrote:
I noticed that you didn't mention the Solr plugin
(http://grails.org/plugin/solr). I don't have any experience w/ it,
but thought it might be among your choices.

--john

--
Alexandre Masselot