Running an applet in some view

Pablo Pazos
Hi everyone,
I need to run an applet in a gsp view and he problem I haveis that I don't know where to put the .jar file containing the applet.

My gsp looks like:
<applet codebase="."
        archive="SignTabletApplet.jar"
        code="TabletCapture.class" width="500" height="200">

</applet>

The other problem I have, is that I have too send an image to the server from the applet, but I'll ask for this later, first I wanna run the thing :)

Thank you,
Pablo Pazos Gutierrez
www.SimpleWebPortal.net

Re: Running an applet in some view

jondo_w
Pablo, funny enough I just did that today. I placed the JAR in my Grails web-app folder and it worked fine when I referenced it as follows:

<applet codebase="."
        archive="${request.contextPath}/SignTabletApplet.jar"
        code="TabletCapture.class" width="500" height="200">
 <!-- this jar is needed too -->
</applet>

I don't use the 'codebase' attribute, but that's not really relevant to the JAR location. Hmm, I also just noticed I didn't have the .class extension for the applet class, but I saw another example that did, so maybe it works both ways, whether you have the .class in or not.

- DP

http://www.SimpleWebPortal.net www.SimpleWebPortal.net

Re: Running an applet in some view

Pablo Pazos
great! that works fine!
now, may be you can help me, I need to upload an image from the applet to the server, I dont know if I can post an image like I'm doing a file post from a web form.

thanks,
PAblo.

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 5:53 PM, Darryl Pentz <[hidden email]> wrote:
Pablo, funny enough I just did that today. I placed the JAR in my Grails web-app folder and it worked fine when I referenced it as follows:

<applet codebase="."
       archive="${request.contextPath}/SignTabletApplet.jar"
       code="TabletCapture.class" width="500" height="200">
 <!-- this jar is needed too -->
</applet>

I don't use the 'codebase' attribute, but that's not really relevant to the JAR location. Hmm, I also just noticed I didn't have the .class extension for the applet class, but I saw another example that did, so maybe it works both ways, whether you have the .class in or not.

- DP

Re: Running an applet in some view

jondo_w
I don't see why not. As I recall, your only limitation with an applet is that if it isn't signed, the SecurityManager won't allow you to connect to a server other than the one the applet was loaded from, and you also don't have access to the local file system on the machine the applet is running. Must admit, I just had to get an applet running, didn't need to actually code the thing, so I'm not sure if things have changed in recent JDK's.

Assuming they haven't you should be able to make a URLConnection and mimic a form post.

- DP