Services

Jonathan Carlson
The services look very cool.  I'm very pleased to find a RAD tool that
has built-in support for services.

It would help if the documentation mentioned what the scope of these
services are.  Are they request-scope, session-scope, or application
scope?  I would guess that session-scope would be the most useful in
general.

Thanks!

- Jonathan

the system manager.

Katun Corporation -- www.katun.com

Re: Services

graemer
On 3/22/06, Jonathan Carlson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The services look very cool.  I'm very pleased to find a RAD tool that
> has built-in support for services.
>
> It would help if the documentation mentioned what the scope of these
> services are.  Are they request-scope, session-scope, or application
> scope?  I would guess that session-scope would be the most useful in
> general.
I'm not sure I follow, they're not in any of these scopes unless the
user specifically places them there. They are however configured for
auto-wiring into controllers,taglibs etc.

What this means is that if you have a property of the type if the
server an instance of the server will automatically be set in the
controller ready for use at runtime using Spring's dependency
injection capability

Graeme

> Thanks!
>
> - Jonathan

> the system manager.
>
> Katun Corporation -- www.katun.com

Re: Services

Steven Devijver
On 3/22/06, Jonathan Carlson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The services look very cool.  I'm very pleased to find a RAD tool that
> has built-in support for services.
>
> It would help if the documentation mentioned what the scope of these
> services are.  Are they request-scope, session-scope, or application
> scope?  I would guess that session-scope would be the most useful in
> general.

Although the usefulness changes per project I would argue
application-scoped services are the most useful. First of all, they
are much easier to manage and are not affected by clustering.
Secondly, many protocols don't support the notion of a session and the
meaning, effects and implementations of a session can differ
significantly between protocols.

Grails offers application-scoped services that do not keep state that
is related to individual requests or sessions. That said we can
discuss support for session-based and request-based services, my main
concern being the confusion that will arise.

Steven

> Thanks!
>
> - Jonathan

> the system manager.
>
> Katun Corporation -- www.katun.com

Steven Devijver
Senior Consultant
Interface21
Spring Services from the Source
http://www.interface21.com

Co-author, "Expert Spring MVC and Web Flow"
(February 2006, with Seth Ladd, Darren Davison, and Colin Yates)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/159059584X

Interface21 NL B.V.
Donker Curtiusstraat 7-400c
1051JL Amsterdam
The Netherlands
Phone: +31 (0)20 486 47 63
Fax: +31 (0)20 475 08 28
Mail: [hidden email]
Skype: devijvers

Re: Services

Jonathan Carlson
Application scope is fine as long as I know not to add any instance
variables.   I think the documentation should mention that.  If I find
session-scoping is critical, I'll bring it up later.

Thanks!