Should I use GWT/Open Lazzlo with Grails?

Should I use GWT/Open Lazzlo with Grails?

yuvalgo
Hi everyone,

I need to develop a page for my application with some one-page-app qualities and i would like to ask for your advice for choosing the right tools.

Our design involves:

1. A lot of 'swing-link' Layouts (North, West, East, South) , and layouts embedded within layouts (Stack like layouts).

2. A dozen (perhaps more) of Ajax-RPC operations on UI elements found inside these layouts, causing partial updates of these elements, sometimes the whole Layout,  rarely the whole page.

3. The usual cross browser, multiple resolution requirements.

I implemented a simplified  prototype with Grails and Grails-UI that uses YUI.
While I find the general GSP/Controller MVC combination just good for most purposes, I find myself wishing for a "window-toolkit"-like qualities to handle view refreshes and clear encapsulation of responsibilities.

I had a look at YUI's laytouting support and it seems like  a lot of code is involved and not many layout options exists out of the box.

Would you recommend going into the Grails-GWT adventure?
Can you testify on the strengths and difficulties of having a front GWT page with Grails backend for RPC?
What about using Open-Lazzlo for the same task? strengths? difficulties?

Any other winners in this space?

Thanks a lot,
Yuval.

Re: Should I use GWT/Open Lazzlo with Grails?

tomas lin
I'm a big advocate of Flex, either via the GraniteDS or the Flex
Plugin / Flex Scaffold route over OpenLaszlo. It has higher level
components and it has always been one of those 'wow, I wish I could do
that with HTML / Javascript' efforts ( I work with jQuery / HTML daily
).

On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 1:45 PM, yuvalgo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I need to develop a page for my application with some one-page-app qualities
> and i would like to ask for your advice for choosing the right tools.
>
> Our design involves:
>
> 1. A lot of 'swing-link' Layouts (North, West, East, South) , and layouts
> embedded within layouts (Stack like layouts).
>
> 2. A dozen (perhaps more) of Ajax-RPC operations on UI elements found inside
> these layouts, causing partial updates of these elements, sometimes the
> whole Layout,  rarely the whole page.
>
> 3. The usual cross browser, multiple resolution requirements.
>
> I implemented a simplified  prototype with Grails and Grails-UI that uses
> YUI.
> While I find the general GSP/Controller MVC combination just good for most
> purposes, I find myself wishing for a "window-toolkit"-like qualities to
> handle view refreshes and clear encapsulation of responsibilities.
>
> I had a look at YUI's laytouting support and it seems like  a lot of code is
> involved and not many layout options exists out of the box.
>
> Would you recommend going into the Grails-GWT adventure?
> Can you testify on the strengths and difficulties of having a front GWT page
> with Grails backend for RPC?
> What about using Open-Lazzlo for the same task? strengths? difficulties?
>
> Any other winners in this space?
>
> Thanks a lot,
> Yuval.

Re: Should I use GWT/Open Lazzlo with Grails?

yuvalgo
Hi Tomas, thanks for you reply.

I need to use an existing active-x, so deploying everything to the flash runtime may be a problem.

Did anyone else had any experience e with Grails/GWT/OpenLazzlo?(how was it?)

yuval.

tomas lin wrote

On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 1:45 PM, yuvalgo <yuvalgo@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I need to develop a page for my application with some one-page-app qualities
> and i would like to ask for your advice for choosing the right tools.
>
> Our design involves:
>
> 1. A lot of 'swing-link' Layouts (North, West, East, South) , and layouts
> embedded within layouts (Stack like layouts).
>
> 2. A dozen (perhaps more) of Ajax-RPC operations on UI elements found inside
> these layouts, causing partial updates of these elements, sometimes the
> whole Layout,  rarely the whole page.
>
> 3. The usual cross browser, multiple resolution requirements.
>
> I implemented a simplified  prototype with Grails and Grails-UI that uses
> YUI.
> While I find the general GSP/Controller MVC combination just good for most
> purposes, I find myself wishing for a "window-toolkit"-like qualities to
> handle view refreshes and clear encapsulation of responsibilities.
>
> I had a look at YUI's laytouting support and it seems like  a lot of code is
> involved and not many layout options exists out of the box.
>
> Would you recommend going into the Grails-GWT adventure?
> Can you testify on the strengths and difficulties of having a front GWT page
> with Grails backend for RPC?
> What about using Open-Lazzlo for the same task? strengths? difficulties?
>
> Any other winners in this space?
>
> Thanks a lot,
> Yuval.

Re: Should I use GWT/Open Lazzlo with Grails?

Felipe Cypriano
Hi,

I'm working on a project using ZK Framework and ZK Grails plugin to glue ZK and Grails. It's a really nice framework to build web application, and your client won't need nothing more than a browser that supports javascript.

I was in doubt between ZK and GWT, but ZK wins because of it's simplicity and more ready-to-use components.

Regards,
---
Felipe Cypriano

tomas lin wrote:

> I'm a big advocate of Flex, either via the GraniteDS or the Flex
> Plugin / Flex Scaffold route over OpenLaszlo. It has higher level
> components and it has always been one of those 'wow, I wish I could do
> that with HTML / Javascript' efforts ( I work with jQuery / HTML daily
> ).
>

> On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 1:45 PM, yuvalgo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I need to develop a page for my application with some one-page-app
>> qualities
>> and i would like to ask for your advice for choosing the right tools.
>>
>> Our design involves:
>>
>> 1. A lot of 'swing-link' Layouts (North, West, East, South) , and layouts
>> embedded within layouts (Stack like layouts).
>>
>> 2. A dozen (perhaps more) of Ajax-RPC operations on UI elements found
>> inside
>> these layouts, causing partial updates of these elements, sometimes the
>> whole Layout,  rarely the whole page.
>>
>> 3. The usual cross browser, multiple resolution requirements.
>>
>> I implemented a simplified  prototype with Grails and Grails-UI that uses
>> YUI.
>> While I find the general GSP/Controller MVC combination just good for
>> most
>> purposes, I find myself wishing for a "window-toolkit"-like qualities to
>> handle view refreshes and clear encapsulation of responsibilities.
>>
>> I had a look at YUI's laytouting support and it seems like  a lot of code
>> is
>> involved and not many layout options exists out of the box.
>>
>> Would you recommend going into the Grails-GWT adventure?
>> Can you testify on the strengths and difficulties of having a front GWT
>> page
>> with Grails backend for RPC?
>> What about using Open-Lazzlo for the same task? strengths? difficulties?
>>
>> Any other winners in this space?
>>
>> Thanks a lot,
>> Yuval.

Re: Should I use GWT/Open Lazzlo with Grails?

Paolo DiCanio
Some general comments about Laszlo (not Grails specific) are available here:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/139150/experiences-with-openlaszlo

Arabic letters problem

Ahmed hegazy
Hi all ,
please i am having a problem in viewing arabic letters as they always appear as ???????? in the browser , i set inside the GSPs the charset as UTF-8 and the encoding of hte IDE aslo UTF-8
if any one has a suggestion I will be grateful
Regards
Ahmed