Small UI improvements plugins

Tomáš Metz
Dear all,
following the rules at topic about creating, distributing & installing the plugins at grails.org, am I sharing my contribution. During my work on grails projects, I have found 2 issues:

1. CRUD localization in Slavic group of languages.
2. Confusing M:N relation between domain objects in CRUD.

1. CRUD localization
The Slavic languages are much different to English, because there are different forms of words in different situation. I have created a small plugin, which generates the CRUD templates directly with domain specific localization keys. For the translator it means more work, but this work has to be done anyway, so there is significant amount of spare time for the developer.

2. M:N in CRUD
My users finds the default listbox for selecting the M:N relation confusing. I started to use a group of checkboxes. The plugin consists of taglib with one new component, which is used in the same way as the original "g:select" (including the parameters) and one change in the "renderEditor.template". The result in the generated CRUD is the group of checkboxes, instead of listbox. I plan some improvements, like definition of columns, etc.

My xircles username is "tomm".

          With kind regards Tom Metz

Re: Small UI improvements plugins

pledbrook
> 1. CRUD localization
> The Slavic languages are much different to English, because there are
> different forms of words in different situation. I have created a small
> plugin, which generates the CRUD templates directly with domain specific
> localization keys. For the translator it means more work, but this work has
> to be done anyway, so there is significant amount of spare time for the
> developer.

How are these different to the standard scaffolding templates? Would
it be sensible to roll these changes into the standard templates?

> 2. M:N in CRUD
> My users finds the default listbox for selecting the M:N relation confusing.
> I started to use a group of checkboxes. The plugin consists of taglib with
> one new component, which is used in the same way as the original "g:select"
> (including the parameters) and one change in the "renderEditor.template".
> The result in the generated CRUD is the group of checkboxes, instead of
> listbox. I plan some improvements, like definition of columns, etc.

Again, perhaps we should consider including these changes in the
scaffolding templates.

Thoughts?

Peter

--
Peter Ledbrook
Grails Advocate

Re: Small UI improvements plugins

Tomáš Metz
Hi,

ad 1.

Lets pretend this domain class:

class Example {
  String name
  date created
  int someNumber
}

In the CRUD are generated localization keys:

domain.Example.name
domain.Example.created
domain.Example.someNumber

It is very simple, but works good for me. Any suggestions to this issue are welcomed :-)

ad 2. It looks like an often question to the public, but I strongly agree :-)

     Tom

2011/8/16 Peter Ledbrook <[hidden email]>
> 1. CRUD localization
> The Slavic languages are much different to English, because there are
> different forms of words in different situation. I have created a small
> plugin, which generates the CRUD templates directly with domain specific
> localization keys. For the translator it means more work, but this work has
> to be done anyway, so there is significant amount of spare time for the
> developer.

How are these different to the standard scaffolding templates? Would
it be sensible to roll these changes into the standard templates?

> 2. M:N in CRUD
> My users finds the default listbox for selecting the M:N relation confusing.
> I started to use a group of checkboxes. The plugin consists of taglib with
> one new component, which is used in the same way as the original "g:select"
> (including the parameters) and one change in the "renderEditor.template".
> The result in the generated CRUD is the group of checkboxes, instead of
> listbox. I plan some improvements, like definition of columns, etc.

Again, perhaps we should consider including these changes in the
scaffolding templates.

Thoughts?

Peter

--