Software Development challenges

JamesPage

What are the biggest challenges in developing and maintaining a web site?

Frameworks like grails have increased the productivity of creating web site many fold, but there are still many things that hurt your and your team's productivity. What are they?

I am not looking for challenges directly related to Grails, but to the whole process of software development.

Is it communication with others? Is it configuration? Is it hunting for bug? Is it testing? Is it communication with others? Is it management of the process?

What takes up your time?

All the best

James

Re: Software Development challenges

Reginaldo Delfino-2
Take a look at 'No Silver Bullet'

http://info.computer.org/portal/site/computer/menuitem.eb7d70008ce52e4b0ef1bd108bcd45f3/index.jsp?&pName=computer_level1&path=computer/homepage/misc/Brooks&file=index.xml&xsl=article.xsl&;jsessionid=HvXbYcQd8VGrm4GfnSM8Tw7ykhMGvsn96LBSR3342rbXWHT87pqJ!-556622400

Reginaldo

--

Reginaldo Delfino
+55-11-3178-0060

--
A Smith & Wesson beats four aces.

--
This message (including attachments) is confidential
and may be legally privileged, unauthorized use or

Opinions or advices contained are confidential and not
intended for public display.

About Ingenico Throughout the world businesses rely on Ingenico for secure and expedient electronic transaction acceptance. Ingenico products leverage proven technology, established standards and unparalleled ergonomics to provide optimal reliability, versatility and usability. This comprehensive range of products is complemented by a global array of services and partnerships, enabling businesses in a number of vertical sectors to accept transactions anywhere their business takes them.
www.ingenico.com This message may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the addressee or authorized to receive this for the addressee, you must not use, copy, disclose or take any action based on this message or any information herein. If you have received this message in error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this message. Thank you for your cooperation.

Re: Software Development challenges

Steven Devijver
I personally like Nokia's 8 questions a lot:

http://www.infoq.com/interviews/jeff-sutherland-scrum-rules

Steven

On 11/5/07, James Page <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What are the biggest challenges in developing and maintaining a web site?
>
>  Frameworks like grails have increased the productivity of creating web site
> many fold, but there are still many things that hurt your and your team's
> productivity. What are they?
>
> I am not looking for challenges directly related to Grails, but to the whole
> process of software development.
>
> Is it communication with others? Is it configuration? Is it hunting for bug?
> Is it testing? Is it communication with others? Is it management of the
> process?
>
> What takes up your time?
>
> All the best
>
> James

Re: Software Development challenges

hamishagain@dcs.shef.ac.uk
hi James

> I am not looking for challenges directly related to Grails, but to the
> whole process of software development.

How about "process by convention"?

Grails promotes programming by convention (which one of my colleagues unkindly
calls "programming by side effect", but I think is a Good Thing so long as the
documentation is also good). Many development processes have a typical set of
artefacts associated with them, even the modern lightweight ones (XP's tests,
Scrum's backlog, ...). So Grails might have a "create-development-process"
script, which would create some metrics/documentation/process artefacts
infrastructure.

Although:

One of the nice things about Maven is that it generates the project website
for you. Then again, one of the horrible things about Maven is that when you
search for documentation, much of what you find is auto-generated pages with
little useful content. Perhaps this would be the outcome of supporting  a
development process :-(

As Fred Brookes pointed out a long time ago in the article cited earlier in
this thread, there's no magic bullet, but as he also pointed out rapid
prototyping, building one to try (and then probably throw away) and so on can
help, and this is also the message underlying the lightweight methods. Perhaps
there's some possible synergy with Grails there...

(or perhaps not!)

More concretely, how about a grailsdoc command that would do groovydoc but
also document the dynamic stuff that Grails inserts?

Best
--
Hamish
http://www.dcs.shef.ac.uk/~hamish/

Re: Software Development challenges

Jeremy Rayner
> More concretely, how about a grailsdoc command that would do groovydoc but
> also document the dynamic stuff that Grails inserts?
I'd like to add that functionality right into the core of Groovydoc somehow :-)

Jez.
--
Groovy Engineer                                          http://searchgroovy.org
http://javanicus.com/blog2

Jeremy Rayner wrote:
>> More concretely, how about a grailsdoc command that would do groovydoc but
>> also document the dynamic stuff that Grails inserts?
> I'd like to add that functionality right into the core of Groovydoc somehow :-)

that would be ideal :-)