StackOverflowError when starting Grails 2.3.2

StackOverflowError when starting Grails 2.3.2

Caleb
I have no problems starting and running my webapp with Grails 2.3.1, but with 2.3.2 I am not even able to start Grails. If I execute "grails -version" (or any other Grails command), I get:

Exception: java.lang.StackOverflowError thrown from the UncaughtExceptionHandler in thread "main"

Is anyone else experiencing this, or know what might cause it?

SpringSource

Re: StackOverflowError when starting Grails 2.3.2

Caleb
Hi Graeme,
I would certainly do that, but there is no stack trace that I can find. Is there a hidden log file somewhere? Nothing is being logged to the console other than the exception, and then after returning me to the command line, it eats my stdin so I can't see what I type.

On Sat, Nov 9, 2013 at 11:56 AM, Graeme Rocher-2 [via Grails] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Not seen any reports of this yet. Please could you raise a JIRA issue and attach the stack trace

Thanks

On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 8:26 PM, Caleb <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have no problems starting and running my webapp with Grails 2.3.1, but with
2.3.2 I am not even able to start Grails. If I execute "grails -version" (or
any other Grails command), I get:

Exception: java.lang.StackOverflowError thrown from the
UncaughtExceptionHandler in thread "main"

Is anyone else experiencing this, or know what might cause it?

SpringSource

http://grails.1312388.n4.nabble.com/StackOverflowError-when-starting-Grails-2-3-2-tp4651274p4651302.html
To unsubscribe from StackOverflowError when starting Grails 2.3.2, click here.
NAML

Edo

Re: StackOverflowError when starting Grails 2.3.2

Caleb
Edo,
I've tried adding --stacktrace and --verbose, but the error message is still the same, unfortunately, and there is no stacktrace or any kind of logging happening that I can see.

Caleb

On Sun, Nov 10, 2013 at 7:49 PM, Edo [via Grails] <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

http://grails.1312388.n4.nabble.com/StackOverflowError-when-starting-Grails-2-3-2-tp4651274p4651322.html
To unsubscribe from StackOverflowError when starting Grails 2.3.2, click here.
NAML

Re: StackOverflowError when starting Grails 2.3.2

Caleb
I was finally able to get more information out of this, but only when running with the “-reloading” option.  I then get:
“java.lang.instrument ASSERTION FAILED ***: "!errorOutstanding" with message transform method call failed at ../../../src/share/instrument/JPLISAgent.c line: 844”

I found a related bug that was fixed for Windows and added some comments:
http://jira.grails.org/browse/GRAILS-10756

I am running OpenSuse with Java 1.7.0_45-b18. This has been happening since 2.3.2.

On Nov 18, 2013, at 9:55 AM, Caleb Cassel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Edo,
> I've tried adding --stacktrace and --verbose, but the error message is still the same, unfortunately, and there is no stacktrace or any kind of logging happening that I can see.
>
> Caleb
>

> On Sun, Nov 10, 2013 at 7:49 PM, Edo [via Grails] <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I reported another case of an app failing to run on 2.3.2 a couple days ago. Not the exact same symptoms but it works Ok on 231. Did you try --stacktrace and --verbose ?
>
> El nov 10, 2013 3:12 p.m., "Caleb" <[hidden email]> escribió:
> Hi Graeme,
> I would certainly do that, but there is no stack trace that I can find. Is there a hidden log file somewhere? Nothing is being logged to the console other than the exception, and then after returning me to the command line, it eats my stdin so I can't see what I type.
>

> On Sat, Nov 9, 2013 at 11:56 AM, Graeme Rocher-2 [via Grails] <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Not seen any reports of this yet. Please could you raise a JIRA issue and attach the stack trace
>
> Thanks
>

> On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 8:26 PM, Caleb <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have no problems starting and running my webapp with Grails 2.3.1, but with
> 2.3.2 I am not even able to start Grails. If I execute "grails -version" (or
> any other Grails command), I get:
>
> Exception: java.lang.StackOverflowError thrown from the
> UncaughtExceptionHandler in thread "main"
>
> Is anyone else experiencing this, or know what might cause it?

> Graeme Rocher
> Grails Project Lead
> SpringSource

> http://grails.1312388.n4.nabble.com/StackOverflowError-when-starting-Grails-2-3-2-tp4651274p4651302.html
> NAML

> http://grails.1312388.n4.nabble.com/StackOverflowError-when-starting-Grails-2-3-2-tp4651274p4651322.html
> To unsubscribe from StackOverflowError when starting Grails 2.3.2, click here.
> NAML

Re: StackOverflowError when starting Grails 2.3.2

derekli
Caleb, I'm having the exact issue as yours, coincided with our mutual distrobution -- I'm using the OpenSUSE 13.1 release.

Look at my post here: http://grails.1312388.n4.nabble.com/Unable-to-start-version-gt-2-3-2-on-openSUSE-13-1-td4652788.html

I'm almost certain it's a operating system issue (and very likely some kind of security policy is doing the trick), but I don't know anyway to find out exactly what. At first I thought it was SELinux, but then it's disabled by default.

So far I've learnt that AppArmor is enabled by default, and have tried disabling it, but the issue remains so I turned it back on.

Re: StackOverflowError when starting Grails 2.3.2

Lari Hotari -

This bug was causing StackOverflowErrors:
http://jira.grails.org/browse/GRAILS-10763

It should be fixed already in Grails 2.3.4 version.

Lari

01.01.2014 21:10, Caleb wrote:
I was finally able to get more information out of this, but only when running with the “-reloading” option.  I then get:
“java.lang.instrument ASSERTION FAILED ***: "!errorOutstanding" with message transform method call failed at ../../../src/share/instrument/JPLISAgent.c line: 844”

I found a related bug that was fixed for Windows and added some comments:
http://jira.grails.org/browse/GRAILS-10756

I am running OpenSuse with Java 1.7.0_45-b18. This has been happening since 2.3.2.

On Nov 18, 2013, at 9:55 AM, Caleb Cassel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Edo,
> I've tried adding --stacktrace and --verbose, but the error message is still the same, unfortunately, and there is no stacktrace or any kind of logging happening that I can see.
>
> Caleb
>

> On Sun, Nov 10, 2013 at 7:49 PM, Edo [via Grails] <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I reported another case of an app failing to run on 2.3.2 a couple days ago. Not the exact same symptoms but it works Ok on 231. Did you try --stacktrace and --verbose ?
>
> El nov 10, 2013 3:12 p.m., "Caleb" <[hidden email]> escribió:
> Hi Graeme,
> I would certainly do that, but there is no stack trace that I can find. Is there a hidden log file somewhere? Nothing is being logged to the console other than the exception, and then after returning me to the command line, it eats my stdin so I can't see what I type.
>

> On Sat, Nov 9, 2013 at 11:56 AM, Graeme Rocher-2 [via Grails] <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Not seen any reports of this yet. Please could you raise a JIRA issue and attach the stack trace
>
> Thanks
>

> On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 8:26 PM, Caleb <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have no problems starting and running my webapp with Grails 2.3.1, but with
> 2.3.2 I am not even able to start Grails. If I execute "grails -version" (or
> any other Grails command), I get:
>
> Exception: java.lang.StackOverflowError thrown from the
> UncaughtExceptionHandler in thread "main"
>
> Is anyone else experiencing this, or know what might cause it?

> Graeme Rocher
> Grails Project Lead
> SpringSource

> http://grails.1312388.n4.nabble.com/StackOverflowError-when-starting-Grails-2-3-2-tp4651274p4651302.html
> NAML

> http://grails.1312388.n4.nabble.com/StackOverflowError-when-starting-Grails-2-3-2-tp4651274p4651322.html
> To unsubscribe from StackOverflowError when starting Grails 2.3.2, click here.
> NAML

Re: StackOverflowError when starting Grails 2.3.2

derekli
Lari,

I'm sure it's not fixed in 2.3.4, because that's what I'm running, and the JIRA link you gave said it will be fixed in 2.3.5 instead of 2.3.4 ?

Anyway, I tried to run grails with an -debug option, and attach a jdb to it, the result is presented at the bottom of the message.

It appears to be an recurring pattern between these methods:
 * java.io.PrintStream.format()
 * jline.internal.Log.log()
 * jline.console.ConsoleKeys.loadKeys()

sure it does look like what the JIRA issue has described: an erroneous back-reference regular expression. But I'm not familiar with jdb, perhaps you can walking me through to get some infomation that you might find useful ?

Set uncaught java.lang.Throwable
Set deferred uncaught java.lang.Throwable
Initializing jdb ...

VM Started: No frames on the current call stack

main[1] catch java.lang.StackOverflowError
Set all java.lang.StackOverflowError

main[1] run

Exception occurred: java.lang.StackOverflowError (to be caught at: java.io.PrintStream.format(), line=971 bci=58)"thread=main", java.util.regex.Pattern.access$200(), line=763 bci=3

main[1] cont

Exception occurred: java.lang.StackOverflowError (to be caught at: jline.internal.Log.log(), line=91 bci=101)"thread=main", java.io.PrintStream.format(), line=971 bci=64

main[1] cont

Exception occurred: java.lang.StackOverflowError (to be caught at: jline.console.ConsoleKeys.loadKeys(), line=77 bci=57)"thread=main", jline.internal.Log.log(), line=91 bci=107

main[1] cont

Exception occurred: java.lang.StackOverflowError (to be caught at: java.io.PrintStream.format(), line=971 bci=58)"thread=main", jline.console.ConsoleKeys.loadKeys(), line=81 bci=70

main[1] cont

Exception occurred: java.lang.StackOverflowError (to be caught at: jline.internal.Log.log(), line=91 bci=101)"thread=main", java.io.PrintStream.format(), line=971 bci=64

main[1] cont

Exception occurred: java.lang.StackOverflowError (to be caught at: jline.console.ConsoleKeys.loadKeys(), line=77 bci=57)"thread=main", jline.internal.Log.log(), line=91 bci=107

main[1] cont

Exception occurred: java.lang.StackOverflowError (to be caught at: java.io.PrintStream.format(), line=971 bci=58)"thread=main", jline.console.ConsoleKeys.loadKeys(), line=81 bci=70

Re: StackOverflowError when starting Grails 2.3.2

derekli
Sorry, I'm posting through nabble, it seem like mailing list won't accept a raw tag.

Please go to http://grails.1312388.n4.nabble.com/StackOverflowError-when-starting-Grails-2-3-2-tp4651274p4653266.html to see the attached debug message.

Re: StackOverflowError when starting Grails 2.3.2

Lari Hotari
Hi derekli,

Thanks for the information.

Based on the jdb output, it's probably not related to GRAILS-10763 and regexps.

These issues are JLine/JAnsi & reloading related:
http://jira.grails.org/browse/GRAILS-10756
http://jira.grails.org/browse/GRAILS-10878

Can you try once more to get the full stacktrace of the StackOverflowError?
There is instructions in this thread about how to do it:
http://grails.1312388.n4.nabble.com/Grails-2-3-3-needs-JDK-1-7-tp4651928p4651980.html
Please save the full stacktrace in a gist or pastebin (etc.) instead of posting the full stacktrace on the mailing list.

Do you get the problem in your environment with a different OS user / clean home directory? That's also worth trying. Googling showed some JLine issues where ~/.inputrc was causing some problems. It might be something else too that's stored in the user's home directory.

Lari

14.01.2014 05:09, derekli wrote:
Lari,

I'm sure it's not fixed in 2.3.4, because that's what I'm running, and the
JIRA link you gave said it will be fixed in 2.3.5 instead of 2.3.4 ?

Anyway, I tried to run grails with an -debug option, and attach a jdb to it,
the result is presented at the bottom of the message.

It appears to be an recurring pattern between these methods:
 * java.io.PrintStream.format()
 * jline.internal.Log.log()
 * jline.console.ConsoleKeys.loadKeys()

sure it does look like what the JIRA issue has described: an erroneous
back-reference regular expression. But I'm not familiar with jdb, perhaps
you can walking me through to get some infomation that you might find useful
?

Re: StackOverflowError when starting Grails 2.3.2

wxlund
I'm wondering if its related to the version.  I was working on something else and upgraded my xcode and am now seeing these same errors:

grails -reloading
objc[16593]: Class JavaLaunchHelper is implemented in both /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.7.0_45.jdk/Contents/Home/bin/java and /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.7.0_45.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/libinstrument.dylib. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.
*** java.lang.instrument ASSERTION FAILED ***: "!errorOutstanding" with message transform method call failed at ../../../src/share/instrument/JPLISAgent.c line: 844

Exception: java.lang.StackOverflowError thrown from the UncaughtExceptionHandler in thread "main"

Has anybody found a fix for this yet?

Re: StackOverflowError when starting Grails 2.3.2

effrafax
Hello,

I had the same problem on SuSE SLES11 and grails 2.3.5.

After some research I found out, that there seems to be a recursive call on some jline methods if there is no .inputrc file in the home directory (the recursive call reads /etc/inputrc again and again).
I did a
touch $HOME/.inputrc
and it works now as expected.

Thanks a lot !! This solves my problem.
Finally I don't have to run grails within a VM

Re: StackOverflowError when starting Grails 2.3.2

Caleb
Yes! This worked for me. Thank you. I can finally update my project.

effrafax wrote

http://grails.1312388.n4.nabble.com/StackOverflowError-when-starting-Grails-2-3-2-tp4651274p4654232.html