Status on Grails 2.x books

John Fletcher-3
I just went to http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920024750.do to remind me of the "Programming Grails" release date and saw December 2012, which appeared to be later than I thought. I had around October in mind, but I could be just plain wrong. Has it been delayed?

The description mentions the 2.0 feature set, which I take as meaning "as opposed to 1.x". I was wondering to what extent elements of 2.1 and 2.2 might be covered. Obviously the release of Grails 2.2 with Groovy 2.0 will bring in one sense a huge change, though on the other hand in terms of teaching Grails (as opposed to teaching Groovy) maybe it's not actually that relevant....?? Of course I understand that if one tries to cover the latest of everything one can never actually release a book.

As far as I can see this is the only Grails 2.x book in the works. Anyone know of anything else coming up? The space seems a little sparse, I'm surprised there aren't others. I take it that the changes between 1.x and 2.x don't justify a new book edition for the existing books, though I would consider the changes are quite extensive. Maybe no-one fancies their chances of competing with Burt :-).

John

Re: Status on Grails 2.x books

rlovtangen
There's also this book coming: http://www.apress.com/java/java-ee/9781430243779

On Aug 13, 2012, at 12:52 PM, John Fletcher wrote:

[...]

John

Re: Status on Grails 2.x books

Tom Hicks
I just looked on the O'Reilly site and, under Product Details, it now says "March 2013".
    -tom

Re: Status on Grails 2.x books

John Fletcher-3
2012/8/13 Ronny Løvtangen <[hidden email]>
There's also this book coming: http://www.apress.com/java/java-ee/9781430243779

Thanks, hadn't picked that up. So they'll both be out at the end of the year. Great.

John

Re: Status on Grails 2.x books

pledbrook
>> There's also this book coming:
>> http://www.apress.com/java/java-ee/9781430243779

I'm a little hurt that Ronny didn't also mention Grails in Action 2 :)

Peter

--
Peter Ledbrook
Developer Advocate

Re: Status on Grails 2.x books

rlovtangen

On Aug 16, 2012, at 4:55 PM, Peter Ledbrook wrote:

>>> There's also this book coming:
>>> http://www.apress.com/java/java-ee/9781430243779
>
> I'm a little hurt that Ronny didn't also mention Grails in Action 2 :)

Sorry about that :) Any link, or has it not yet been announced?

Ronny

Re: Status on Grails 2.x books

redcoat
Any update on Burt's new book?  Looks like there's still only 3 chapters...

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 11:18 AM, Ronny Løvtangen <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Aug 16, 2012, at 4:55 PM, Peter Ledbrook wrote:

>>> There's also this book coming:
>>> http://www.apress.com/java/java-ee/9781430243779
>
> I'm a little hurt that Ronny didn't also mention Grails in Action 2 :)

Sorry about that :) Any link, or has it not yet been announced?

Ronny

Re: Status on Grails 2.x books

pledbrook

>> I'm a little hurt that Ronny didn't also mention Grails in Action 2 :)
>
> Sorry about that :) Any link, or has it not yet been announced?

MEAP is due to start shortly. We've had our ups and downs getting this
started, but we think that reader pressure will help us focus (or
force us to emigrate to the moon).

Peter

--
Peter Ledbrook