Quantcast

Stuck !!!

Mahboob
I had come to know about Grails a few years ago when I attended a Java conference. Since then I was reading about it and went through the book Grails in Action and in general, liked it. This year, I got an opportunity for an exciting project and I chose Grails to put to work what I had read.

With Grails 2 and JDK 7, I thought I will get past the login module in a matter of hours. I realized this is not the case. Any new startup would want to have login, registration, forgot/reset password functionality as the first step. There is no reason why this should not be "a given" to developers by a framework that claims "Your search is over" and "Have your next Web 2.0 project done in weeks instead of months".

With Grails 2.0, the Login button did not render. I posted a query on this forum (http://grails.1312388.n4.nabble.com/grails-spring-security-ui-login-button-does-not-render-td4272905.html). I did not get a solution, but got a reply by user bdrhoa that spring-security-ui does not work with Grails 2.0.

I reverted to Grails 1.3.7, and this time I landed up with an extra button. If you want to check yourself about the extra button, look at the screenshots for Forgot Password and Reset Password at http://www.objectpartners.com/2011/05/24/customizing-the-grails-spring-security-ui-plugin/ [Please note, it's not my site or page].

I felt this is shabby to give on my site on which we are aiming to pull thousands of users to. Subsequently user bdrhoa posted another topic (http://grails.1312388.n4.nabble.com/Spring-Security-UI-ETA-td4280869.html) asking for an ETA when spring-security-ui will be made to work with Grails 2.0. Again no answer or commitment.

I posted my issue to Bobby Warner on his blog, and he suggested me to look at RegisterController.groovy. I took this file, its dependent files and got stuck in an error with ConfigObject. I posted the error in this forum two days back, again on Bobby's suggestion (http://grails.1312388.n4.nabble.com/Error-using-RegisterController-td4303184.html). Once more no solution. Very soon, my post will get buried under other topics.

My first milestone was to show the login/registration module and user profile pages. I am cutting a sorry figure in front of my promoter. I had spoken in glowing terms about Grails. He left all technical decisions to me saying he trusts my word.

In my opinion, a major version of grails like Grails 2.0 should not declared as released unless the spring-security-core and sprint-security-ui plugins *both* work.

On a side note, using JSP/Servlets-Tomcat-MySQL stack you can get the full features of Spring Security 3 in your application in a few hours. Trust me. If you want to check it out yourself, get a copy of the book Spring Security 3 by Peter Mularien which has a download link to a dogstore application. Download the application and tweak it a bit.

We have great ambitions, a lot of passion and want to be a success story in 2012. I'd have loved to have Grails a part of our story. With a certain amount of reluctance, we are looking at other options now. Probably in a couple of days, we will make a decision to go with what I am comfortable with, the Glassfish stack: JSF-Facelets-IceFaces-JPA.

Cheers,
-- MH
Hyderabad, India.

Re: Stuck !!!

antony
Sorry to hear that you are having issues.

Just a quick helper for you - I can't remember (and a google search or
two didn't help), but I've not heard of any use cases involving Grails
and JDK7.
Try it on JDK 6 and see if you still have issues.

On 19 January 2012 10:16, Mahboob <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> as released unless the spring-security-core and sprint-security-ui plugins
> *both* work.
>
> On a side note, using JSP/Servlets-Tomcat-MySQL stack you can get the full
> features of Spring Security 3 in your application in a few hours. Trust me.
> If you want to check it out yourself, get a copy of the book Spring Security
> 3 by Peter Mularien which has a download link to a dogstore application.
> Download the application and tweak it a bit.
>
> We have great ambitions, a lot of passion and want to be a success story in
> 2012. I'd have loved to have Grails a part of our story. With a certain
> amount of reluctance, we are looking at other options now. Probably in a
> couple of days, we will make a decision to go with what I am comfortable
> with, the Glassfish stack: JSF-Facelets-IceFaces-JPA.

Re: Stuck !!!

gauravchauhan
Better option to start would be Grails 1.3.7 and JDK 6.

Please don't give up so quick.

On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 4:05 PM, Antony Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> as released unless the spring-security-core and sprint-security-ui plugins
> *both* work.
>
> On a side note, using JSP/Servlets-Tomcat-MySQL stack you can get the full
> features of Spring Security 3 in your application in a few hours. Trust me.
> If you want to check it out yourself, get a copy of the book Spring Security
> 3 by Peter Mularien which has a download link to a dogstore application.
> Download the application and tweak it a bit.
>
> We have great ambitions, a lot of passion and want to be a success story in
> 2012. I'd have loved to have Grails a part of our story. With a certain
> amount of reluctance, we are looking at other options now. Probably in a
> couple of days, we will make a decision to go with what I am comfortable
> with, the Glassfish stack: JSF-Facelets-IceFaces-JPA.

Regards
Gaurav Chauhan
Contact No : +91-95607-66664
Skype : chauhan.gaurav

Re: Stuck !!!

bdrhoa

I agree. Perhaps just come back to the user registration stuff a little later. Create a user in the bootstrap or use scaffolding to start. Then show your client whatever comes next.

I am at the point I have to get this working in the next week or so. Hopefully I'll be successful. But I sure would like a response to the eta question.

On Jan 19, 2012 6:00 AM, "Gaurav Chauhan" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> as released unless the spring-security-core and sprint-security-ui plugins
> *both* work.
>
> On a side note, using JSP/Servlets-Tomcat-MySQL stack you can get the full
> features of Spring Security 3 in your application in a few hours. Trust me.
> If you want to check it out yourself, get a copy of the book Spring Security
> 3 by Peter Mularien which has a download link to a dogstore application.
> Download the application and tweak it a bit.
>
> We have great ambitions, a lot of passion and want to be a success story in
> 2012. I'd have loved to have Grails a part of our story. With a certain
> amount of reluctance, we are looking at other options now. Probably in a
> couple of days, we will make a decision to go with what I am comfortable
> with, the Glassfish stack: JSF-Facelets-IceFaces-JPA.

Regards
Gaurav Chauhan
Contact No : <a href="tel:%2B91-95607-66664" value="+919560766664" target="_blank">+91-95607-66664
Skype : chauhan.gaurav

Re: Stuck !!!

Roberto Guerra
My 2 cents:

I agree that every web framework should have a default security framework that can be overridden if need be. There are other frameworks out there with batteries included, and authentication is one of them. I haven't needed to do user registration, so can't really help you out with your issue.

However, I have used the Nimble plugin with 1.3.7 and it does do user registration (batteries included). It uses Shiro instead of Spring Security and its pretty damn good. However, development on it has stopped, so you would need to work on the plugin to port it to 2.0.

The Journey Is The Reward.

Re: Stuck !!!

Vithun Kumar
The spring-security-* plugins in general help in saving a lot of time while solving a very important problem: security. And they usually work perfectly, and it is only now that the spring-security-ui is not working correctly with Grails 2.0. However all it needs is a few minor tweaks to get it running.

I created an example app using Grails 2.0 and the current latest versions of spring-security plugins. I've got it working, and I've hosted the project on GitHub for your reference. Have a look at the README file and then the changes required to have the plugins work.

https://github.com/vithun/G2SSExample

On 19 Jan 2012, at 13:54, Roberto Guerra wrote:

> [...]

> If you want to check it out yourself, get a copy of the book Spring Security
> 3 by Peter Mularien which has a download link to a dogstore application.
> Download the application and tweak it a bit.
>
> We have great ambitions, a lot of passion and want to be a success story in
> 2012. I'd have loved to have Grails a part of our story. With a certain
> amount of reluctance, we are looking at other options now. Probably in a
> couple of days, we will make a decision to go with what I am comfortable
> with, the Glassfish stack: JSF-Facelets-IceFaces-JPA.
>
> Cheers,
> -- MH
> Hyderabad, India.

Regards
Gaurav Chauhan
Contact No : <a href="tel:%2B91-95607-66664" value="+919560766664" target="_blank">+91-95607-66664

The Journey Is The Reward.

Re: Stuck !!!

Paolo DiCanio
Mahboob wrote
In my opinion, a major version of grails like Grails 2.0 should not declared as released unless the spring-security-core and sprint-security-ui plugins *both* work.
I disagree. You can't expect the Grails developers to test that every plugin works before releasing a new version of the core framework.

Re: Stuck !!!

a.shneyderman
On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 3:07 PM, Paolo DiCanio <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Mahboob wrote
>>
>> In my opinion, a major version of grails like Grails 2.0 should not
>> declared as released unless the spring-security-core and
>> sprint-security-ui plugins *both* work.
>>

> I disagree. You can't expect the Grails developers to test that every plugin
> works before releasing a new version of the core framework.

each plugin has a setting the specifies which grails version it works with.

1. if you choose disregard it - it is your problem
2. if it is not set correctly - it is a problem of plugin dev.

in either case I do not see how it is a problem of the grails-core?

Re: Stuck !!!

Roberto Guerra
What the OP is trying to say is that authentication/security should not be a plugin. It should be part of the core. I think he has a point. It is a requirement for most web-apps, why not make integrated it into the core? I understand the flexibility you get as is, that you can choose any security framework you like, but it is also a barrier of entry for newbies. Other frameworks out there have a default security/authentication framework and you don't have to be worrying about compatibility issues.

On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 8:49 AM, Alex Shneyderman <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 3:07 PM, Paolo DiCanio <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Mahboob wrote
>>
>> In my opinion, a major version of grails like Grails 2.0 should not
>> declared as released unless the spring-security-core and
>> sprint-security-ui plugins *both* work.
>>

> I disagree. You can't expect the Grails developers to test that every plugin
> works before releasing a new version of the core framework.

each plugin has a setting the specifies which grails version it works with.

1. if you choose disregard it - it is your problem
2. if it is not set correctly - it is a problem of plugin dev.

in either case I do not see how it is a problem of the grails-core?

The Journey Is The Reward.

Re: Stuck !!!

olivertynes
The ssec-ui is more of a convenience tool imo, that leaves s-sec-core
itself, which has been 2.0 ready since about 1.4M1.
It is maintained by one of the core developers and somewhat of a
de-facto standard (it sure crops up more often on here than Shiro (and
I've never in 1year++ seen Shiro mentioned on freenode)).

This kind of makes your point moot, or at least not a big issue.

-Oliver

--
*****
Oliver Tynes

Re: Stuck !!!

antony
I disagree that it should be included as core. The spring-security
plugin's load time is not negligible, and it is a complicated security
model for a lot of simple cases.

However I do agree that these plugins (not -ui as it is not officially
supported) should work with a new release, and I am surprised to hear
that any plugins in this list:
http://grails.org/plugin/category/supported don't work out of the box.

If there is somebody who wants to use the Grails framework and is
unable to get the basics working out-of-the-box through the fault of
the framework or an officially supported plugin, then there is an
issue here and it must be addressed. We can't be critical nor can we
make excuses when a premise that things will work is boldly proclaimed
on the grails website.

I'm not blaming anyone here nor am I verifying that anything
does/doesn't work, but it is important that grails fundamentals work
for people as easily as possible and I for one am willing to do
whatever it takes to make that happen, and hope that others are too.

Cheers,
Antony

On 19 January 2012 15:59, Oliver Severin Tynes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The ssec-ui is more of a convenience tool imo, that leaves s-sec-core
> itself, which has been 2.0 ready since about 1.4M1.
> It is maintained by one of the core developers and somewhat of a
> de-facto standard (it sure crops up more often on here than Shiro (and
> I've never in 1year++ seen Shiro mentioned on freenode)).
>
> This kind of makes your point moot, or at least not a big issue.
>
> -Oliver
>
> On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 4:01 PM, Roberto Guerra <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> What the OP is trying to say is that authentication/security should not be a
>> plugin. It should be part of the core. I think he has a point. It is a
>> requirement for most web-apps, why not make integrated it into the core? I
>> understand the flexibility you get as is, that you can choose any security
>> framework you like, but it is also a barrier of entry for newbies. Other
>> frameworks out there have a default security/authentication framework and
>> you don't have to be worrying about compatibility issues.
>>

>> On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 8:49 AM, Alex Shneyderman <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:

>>> each plugin has a setting the specifies which grails version it works
>>> with.
>>>
>>> 1. if you choose disregard it - it is your problem
>>> 2. if it is not set correctly - it is a problem of plugin dev.
>>>
>>> in either case I do not see how it is a problem of the grails-core?

>> --
>> The Journey Is The Reward.
>

> --
> *****
> Oliver Tynes
> Developer
> Uni CIPR -- www.cipr.uni.no
> 55588266
> *****

Re: Stuck !!!

Ray Tayek
At 02:16 AM 1/19/2012, you wrote:
>I did not get a solution, but got a reply by user bdrhoa that
>spring-security-ui does not work with Grails 2.0.  ...

here is a screencast:
http://www.bobbywarner.com/2012/01/05/jump-into-grails-2-0/

the plugins are handled differently by putting them in a file.

thanks

---
co-chair http://ocjug.org/

Re: Stuck !!!

bdrhoa
Thank you! This is very helpful!
---------------------------
www.maf.org/rhoads
www.ontherhoads.org

On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 7:03 AM, Vithun Kumar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The spring-security-* plugins in general help in saving a lot of time while
> solving a very important problem: security. And they usually work perfectly,
> and it is only now that the spring-security-ui is not working correctly with
> Grails 2.0. However all it needs is a few minor tweaks to get it running.
>
> I created an example app using Grails 2.0 and the current latest versions of
> spring-security plugins. I've got it working, and I've hosted the project on
> GitHub for your reference. Have a look at the README file and then the
> changes required to have the plugins work.
>
> https://github.com/vithun/G2SSExample
> Vithun
>
> On 19 Jan 2012, at 13:54, Roberto Guerra wrote:
>
> My 2 cents:
>
> I agree that every web framework should have a default security framework
> that can be overridden if need be. There are other frameworks out there with
> batteries included, and authentication is one of them. I haven't needed to
> do user registration, so can't really help you out with your issue.
>
> However, I have used the Nimble plugin with 1.3.7 and it does do user
> registration (batteries included). It uses Shiro instead of Spring Security
> and its pretty damn good. However, development on it has stopped, so you
> would need to work on the plugin to port it to 2.0.
>
> On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 7:12 AM, Brad Rhoads <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I agree. Perhaps just come back to the user registration stuff a little
>> later. Create a user in the bootstrap or use scaffolding to start. Then show
>> your client whatever comes next.
>>
>> I am at the point I have to get this working in the next week or so.
>> Hopefully I'll be successful. But I sure would like a response to the eta
>> question.
>>
>> On Jan 19, 2012 6:00 AM, "Gaurav Chauhan"
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Better option to start would be Grails 1.3.7 and JDK 6.
>>>
>>> Please don't give up so quick.

>>> --
>>> Regards
>>> Gaurav Chauhan
>>> Contact No : +91-95607-66664
>>> Skype : chauhan.gaurav
>>> Website : JellyFish Technologies
>>>

> --
> The Journey Is The Reward.

Re: Stuck !!!

Mahboob
Vithun Kumar wrote
The spring-security-* plugins in general help in saving a lot of time while solving a very important problem: security. And they usually work perfectly, and it is only now that the spring-security-ui is not working correctly with Grails 2.0. However all it needs is a few minor tweaks to get it running.

I created an example app using Grails 2.0 and the current latest versions of spring-security plugins. I've got it working, and I've hosted the project on GitHub for your reference. Have a look at the README file and then the changes required to have the plugins work.

https://github.com/vithun/G2SSExample
Vithun
Hi Vithun,

That was really wonderful. Thank you for taking the time out and giving something that works. Springsource should consider hiring you immediately.

It's good not to have the s2ui namespace overhead, plus clean up the double encoding problem. Just two points:

In README, you may want to write that you modified i18n/messages.properties.
For the sake of completeness, in RegisterController.groovy's register function, please put the right code inside the following if-condition
if (!user.validate() || !user.save()) {
                        // TODO
                }
Right now, even if the user is not created (due to any reason; in my case the 1-to-1 mapping with a Profile object was not coded properly), the controller still goes ahead and sends the registration email.

Best Regards,
-- Mahboob

Re: Stuck !!!

aaronzirbes
I took a peek at your project:
https://github.com/aaronzirbes/G2SSExample

And forked grails-spring-security-ui:
https://github.com/aaronzirbes/grails-spring-security-ui

...so that the case described above works with Grails 2.0.0

I made a new project to test it:
https://github.com/aaronzirbes/grails-g2-ss-ui-example

The zip file of the modified plugin is in there if you don't want to package it yourself:
https://github.com/aaronzirbes/grails-g2-ss-ui-example/tree/master/lib/spring-security-ui

I also created a pull request to get these changes moved into the upstream plugin:
https://github.com/grails-plugins/grails-spring-security-ui/pull/11

Re: Stuck !!!

micke_
Hi

I think it would be a good idea if the do or don't for password encoding in spring-security-ui was configurable (false by default), having the password encoding in the domain object isn't mandatory as far as I know.

And I am currently having issues with dirty checking of fields not working in a webflow which may lead me to remove the password encoding from my domain object and instead do it explicitly.

http://grails.1312388.n4.nabble.com/Dirty-checking-of-domain-field-inside-webflow-not-behaving-as-I-would-expect-returns-false-td4248124.html

http://jira.grails.org/browse/GRAILS-8604

Cheers