Symfony 2.0 vs Grails benchmark

fbn@maniacmansion.it
Hi,

Symfony 2.0 is a php framework  in many way similar to grails

I'm not a Benchmark expert but I realized a simple test to compare Symfony 2.0 to Grails

Test info
http://cutiecode.maniacmansion.it/

Re: Symfony 2.0 vs Grails benchmark

marcopas
Nice statistics, thanks for your effort!

greetings,
Marco

On Dec 19, 2010, at 11:12 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Symfony 2.0 is a php framework  in many way similar to grails
>
> I'm not a Benchmark expert but I realized a simple test to compare Symfony
> 2.0 to Grails
>
> Test info
> http://cutiecode.maniacmansion.it/
>
> http://grails.1312388.n4.nabble.com/file/n3094892/grails_vs_symfony.png

Re: Symfony 2.0 vs Grails benchmark

zyro
you blogged about your software setup but could you post the hardware specs on which the benchmark was run?

Re: Symfony 2.0 vs Grails benchmark

fabiano taioli
Hi,

The hardware spec:

CPU: Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor Q9450
RAM: 6 GB (3x2GB) DDR3 1333 CORSAIR
MOTHERBOAD: Asus striker 2 NSE (NVIDIA nForce 790i SLI)
DISK: 2 x 500Gb Sata 7200 in RAID MIRROR

Please note that the machine is my desktop pc for everyday usage,
not optimized as server machine.

Apache and Tomcat configurations are the defaults of the Sabayon distribuition

Fabiano Taioli

Vista Tecnologie
www.vista.it

Re: Symfony 2.0 vs Grails benchmark

boutell
This is an impressively detailed benchmark, thank you for sharing your efforts.

However, was PHP's APC cache enabled?

Object-oriented PHP code should never be run without APC, the overhead of bytecode-compiling everything on every access gives a very slow and unrealistic picture of Symfony's best performance on web requests.

I am reminded of the Quercus "PHP compiler for Java" folks, who used to claim Quercus was hands down much faster than native PHP, until they finally tested PHP with APC. After that, their claim was only that the performance of Quercus was "comparable" to PHP with APC. It makes that much difference.

Thanks again for sharing the benchmark code.

Re: Symfony 2.0 vs Grails benchmark

xmly
I have the same doubt. If it is default php, I guess APC is not on.  Then the performance of symfony will be much lower.

Re: Symfony 2.0 vs Grails benchmark

fbn@maniacmansion.it

Thank you for your appreciation.

The  APC cache was disabled, this because none of our hosting providers supports APC cache. But I plan to repeat the tests with APC on just for personal curiosity :)

Re: Symfony 2.0 vs Grails benchmark

boutell
Thanks for clarifying. Object oriented PHP should never be deployed without APC. Shared hosting providers tend not to offer it, but virtual private server hosting (which can be very cheap, and is much more secure than shared hosting anyway) always does if it is being done competently for PHP. ServerGrove.com is a great example of the job done right (their VPS plans, not their shared hosting - they do that well but unfortunately APC just doesn't play well with shared hosting).