Quantcast

[Tomcat with Grails] Memory leak problem!!

[Tomcat with Grails] Memory leak problem!!

raulgomis
Hi everyone!!!

I'm currently having problems when deploying (and undeploying) my grails applications. Does anyone know what is the problem? Anything to configure in my Grails applications or maybe in Tomcat?

The error is:
GRAVE: The web application [/Insercion] appears to have started a thread named [Store org.hibernate.cache.UpdateTimestampsCache Spool Thread] but has failed to stop it. This is very likely to create a memory leak.

The problem is solved when rebooting Tomcat but I don't want to reboot Tomcat after each deployment.
(I currently have Tomcat 7.0.14 and Grails 1.3.7 but I have had the same problem with other Tomcat 6 and other Grails versions)

Cheers,
Raúl

Re: [Tomcat with Grails] Memory leak problem!!

Enrique Medina Montenegro
Hi Raul,

Don't worry too much about those messages. I used to get them when redeploying the webapp into Tomcat, and eventually decided to restart the server once a day (during idle hours, of course).

Regards.

On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 12:06 PM, raulgomis <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi everyone!!!

I'm currently having problems when deploying (and undeploying) my grails
applications. Does anyone know what is the problem? Anything to configure in
my Grails applications or maybe in Tomcat?

The error is:
GRAVE: The web application [/Insercion] appears to have started a thread
named [Store org.hibernate.cache.UpdateTimestampsCache Spool Thread] but has
failed to stop it. This is very likely to create a memory leak.

The problem is solved when rebooting Tomcat but I don't want to reboot
Tomcat after each deployment.
(I currently have Tomcat 7.0.14 and Grails 1.3.7 but I have had the same
problem with other Tomcat 6 and other Grails versions)

Cheers,
Raúl

Re: [Tomcat with Grails] Memory leak problem!!

raulgomis
Looking at the catalina.out I am also having this error

GRAVE: The web application [/Insercion] registered the JDBC driver [org.hsqldb.jdbcDriver] but failed to unregister it when the web application was stopped. To prevent a memory leak, the JDBC Driver has been forcibly unregistered.

Re: [Tomcat with Grails] Memory leak problem!!

Enrique Medina Montenegro
Also familiar...

Same response as before ;-)

On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 12:18 PM, raulgomis <[hidden email]> wrote:
Looking at the catalina.out I am also having this error

GRAVE: The web application [/Insercion] registered the JDBC driver
[org.hsqldb.jdbcDriver] but failed to unregister it when the web application
was stopped. To prevent a memory leak, the JDBC Driver has been forcibly
unregistered.

Re: [Tomcat with Grails] Memory leak problem!!

Enrique Medina Montenegro
In any case, Raúl, check this out:

and this is foreseen to be fixed in 1.4

On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 12:21 PM, Enrique Medina Montenegro <[hidden email]> wrote:
Also familiar...

Same response as before ;-)

On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 12:18 PM, raulgomis <[hidden email]> wrote:
Looking at the catalina.out I am also having this error

GRAVE: The web application [/Insercion] registered the JDBC driver
[org.hsqldb.jdbcDriver] but failed to unregister it when the web application
was stopped. To prevent a memory leak, the JDBC Driver has been forcibly
unregistered.

Re: [Tomcat with Grails] Memory leak problem!!

raulgomis
Hi Enrique,

Thanks a lot!! Glad to hear that someone else had the same problem. But you also need to restart after each deploy?

Anayways I'm worried about the memory usage because I have several grails apps deployed in the same Tomcat and I don't feel very good knowing that there are threads still running xD

Cheers,
Raúl

Re: [Tomcat with Grails] Memory leak problem!!

basejump (Josh)
Hot deploy gets very leaky and its not a battle we found we could ever win.
We always restart the service after a new deploy.
Tomcat 7? The jury is still out on this new version

On Jun 2, 2011, at 5:53 AM, raulgomis wrote:

> Hi Enrique,
>
> Thanks a lot!! Glad to hear that someone else had the same problem. But you
> also need to restart after each deploy?
>
> Anayways I'm worried about the memory usage because I have several grails
> apps deployed in the same Tomcat and I don't feel very good knowing that
> there are threads still running xD
>

> Cheers,
> Raúl

Re: [Tomcat with Grails] Memory leak problem!!

Kimble
This is our conclusion as well. Tomcat start up so quickly that it doesn't really matter anyway.
 - Kim A. Betti
Have a nice day!

Re: [Tomcat with Grails] Memory leak problem!!

Enrique Medina Montenegro
Raúl,

No, I don't need to restart after the deploy. I basically stop the Tomcat, start it up, deploy and everything fine.

Regards.

On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 12:53 PM, raulgomis <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Enrique,

Thanks a lot!! Glad to hear that someone else had the same problem. But you
also need to restart after each deploy?

Anayways I'm worried about the memory usage because I have several grails
apps deployed in the same Tomcat and I don't feel very good knowing that
there are threads still running xD

Cheers,
Raúl

Re: [Tomcat with Grails] Memory leak problem!!

Erik  Pragt
Hi Raúl,

While for some systems it maybe a good idea to deploy multiple applications in one Tomcat (though at the moment, I can't think of a situation like that), I would generally warn against deploying more apps on one server. Diagnosing your applications becomes very hard (if one application is having memory issues, all your applications will have that, and it's very hard to trace which one is causing it, since they all share the same Tomcat + VM). I would suggest just installing multiple Tomcat (ideally 1 per application), and put Apache in front of it if you need it. This way, you can easily diagnose problem, or restart a Tomcat server should it give you any problems without affecting all your applications.

Erik Pragt

On Jun 2, 2011, at 12:53 PM, raulgomis wrote:

> Hi Enrique,
>
> Thanks a lot!! Glad to hear that someone else had the same problem. But you
> also need to restart after each deploy?
>
> Anayways I'm worried about the memory usage because I have several grails
> apps deployed in the same Tomcat and I don't feel very good knowing that
> there are threads still running xD
>

> Cheers,
> Raúl

Re: [Tomcat with Grails] Memory leak problem!!

raulgomis
Hi again,

Yep, I was thinking in having multiple tomcats in the same server, but I don't know if several tomcats in the same server will consume more memory in the server. Anyways I will try this solution, having multiple tomcats and restarting the tomcat after each deployment.

It's a pity that you have to restart the tomcat coz 'hot deploys' were great. Hope the Tomcat group sort this issue out soon.

Many thanks,
Raúl