Turning my app into a white label app

micke_
Hi

I have a Grails application which I want to turn into a "white label" kinf of app to allow me to deploy it with different look and different features enabled for different customers.

My immediate thought is to change myapp into a myapp-platform plugin and for each client create a Grails app which uses this new myapp-platform plugin.

Thought I'd check here to see if this is a sound thing to do and to see if anyone has done this sort of thing before and may have any advice.

Cheers,
 Micke

Re: Turning my app into a white label app

tomas lin
You might also want to consider having the same application with all the features and then simply feature flipping ( http://grails.org/plugin/feature-flipper ) based on each client. It makes it more maintainable and testable.

I did a writeup on how we did white labeling of a website based on grails - might be worth a read - http://fbflex.wordpress.com/2011/08/23/custom-theming-grails-applications/

On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 10:47 PM, Mikael Andersson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi

I have a Grails application which I want to turn into a "white label" kinf of app to allow me to deploy it with different look and different features enabled for different customers.

My immediate thought is to change myapp into a myapp-platform plugin and for each client create a Grails app which uses this new myapp-platform plugin.

Thought I'd check here to see if this is a sound thing to do and to see if anyone has done this sort of thing before and may have any advice.

Cheers,
 Micke

Re: Turning my app into a white label app

Göran Ehrsson

We're using a toolbox of Grails plugins to provide custom features in our customer applications.
The majority of our customers use the same set of plugins but it's the application that assembles them and provide small feature differences and look and feel for each customer.
We have successfully separated each "feature" into a plugin and the toolbox now contains over 40 grails plugins. Every customer has their own application (sharing 90-97% of the common code base)

I can highly recommend this approach. It's been a success factor for my company.
  • Develop a plugin fo each functionality that you think might be optional or needs to be customer specific
  • Use application events (routed by the application) to trigger actions in other plugins without the need for hard dependencies between plugins
  • Have a "theme plugin" that can be configured (by the application) to render different logos, stylesheets, etc.

Regards

/Goran Ehrsson

--
Technipelago AB, Stockholm, Sweden, www.technipelago.se

 Micke

Re: Turning my app into a white label app

micke_
Thanks Goran and Thomas

I'm looking at having each variation of the core app deployed independently for which I (currently) feel that what Goran suggested sounds like a good fit.

Didn't know about the feature-flipper plugin, only noticed the feature-switch one before. Will have a closer look! Also really like the idea of having static content served via S3/CDN and not have it part of the deployed app, will have to look into that.

I was initially thinking about having a set of well known CSS and image files available and simply have each "concrete" app specify or override those as needed from the myapp-platform plugin.

@Goran, I'm curious what you do w.r.t. this and how your theme-plugin is used.

Many thanks / Tusen tack
Micke

Hi,