UI-Performance vs Resources plugins (vs JAWR)

UI-Performance vs Resources plugins (vs JAWR)

alxndrsn
Looking at this old thread
(http://grails.1312388.n4.nabble.com/Grails-UI-Performance-td3843293.html),
it's suggested that UI-Performance plugin shouldn't be used if you're
using Resources plugin.  As Resources is default in Grails 2+, would
it be helpful to mention this on the UI-Performance wiki page
(http://grails.org/plugin/ui-performance)?

Also does the Jawr plugin suffer from the same issue?
(http://grails.org/plugin/jawr)

Re: UI-Performance vs Resources plugins (vs JAWR)

Dean Del Ponte-2
I recommend not using the jawr or ui-performance plugins.

Instead, use the resources plugin along with the following:

- Dean Del Ponte

On 19 February 2013 22:43, Dean Del Ponte <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I recommend not using the jawr or ui-performance plugins.
>
> Instead, use the resources plugin along with the following:
>
> http://grails.org/plugin/zipped-resources
> http://grails.org/plugin/cached-resources

Thanks for the advice.  Is this something that should be recorded on
the plugin wiki pages?

Re: UI-Performance vs Resources plugins (vs JAWR)

Eamonn O'Connell-2
Sounds like it.

On 20 February 2013 08:34, Alex Anderson <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 19 February 2013 22:43, Dean Del Ponte <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I recommend not using the jawr or ui-performance plugins.
>
> Instead, use the resources plugin along with the following:
>
> http://grails.org/plugin/zipped-resources
> http://grails.org/plugin/cached-resources

Thanks for the advice.  Is this something that should be recorded on
the plugin wiki pages?

RE: UI-Performance vs Resources plugins (vs JAWR)

Sergei Rahouski

Could you elaborate why? We are considering jawr and resources plugins in our project.

Thank you

Re: UI-Performance vs Resources plugins (vs JAWR)

Dean Del Ponte-2
Could you elaborate why? We are considering jawr and resources plugins in our project.

I guess it depends on what you are using jawr for?  If jawr does something that the resource plugin does not, then go for it!

If you are just using jawr for bundling and compressing JavaScript and CSS I would recommend using the following instead:

  1. The Resources plugin which handles bundling (amongst other things) - http://grails.org/plugin/resources
  2. The Zipped Resources plugin which will gzip your static files (JavaScript, CSS, etc)  http://grails.org/plugin/zipped-resources
  3. The Cached Resources plugin to "hash and cache" your resources - http://grails.org/plugin/cached-resources
Why?  Because the Resources plugin is an excellent and widely used core grails plugin.  It will be updated with each new version of Grails.

The Zipped and Cached resources plugins provided functionality on top of the resources plugin.  I'm not sure of their current status now that Marc is no longer maintaining them, but they are used by approximately 10% of grails projects which makes me think they will be finding a maintainer soon.

Thanks!

Dean Del Ponte

On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 10:30 AM, Sergei Rahouski <[hidden email]> wrote:

Could you elaborate why? We are considering jawr and resources plugins in our project.

Thank you

Color me impractical but I’d rather be able to look at myself in the mirror than be rich.
-Evan Light

Re: UI-Performance vs Resources plugins (vs JAWR)

Marc Palmer Local

On 5 Mar 2013, at 16:52, Dean Del Ponte <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Could you elaborate why? We are considering jawr and resources plugins in our project.
>
> I guess it depends on what you are using jawr for?  If jawr does something that the resource plugin does not, then go for it!
>
> If you are just using jawr for bundling and compressing JavaScript and CSS I would recommend using the following instead:
>
> • The Resources plugin which handles bundling (amongst other things) - http://grails.org/plugin/resources
> • The Zipped Resources plugin which will gzip your static files (JavaScript, CSS, etc)  http://grails.org/plugin/zipped-resources
> • The Cached Resources plugin to "hash and cache" your resources - http://grails.org/plugin/cached-resources
> Why?  Because the Resources plugin is an excellent and widely used core grails plugin.  It will be updated with each new version of Grails.
>
> The Zipped and Cached resources plugins provided functionality on top of the resources plugin.  I'm not sure of their current status now that Marc is no longer maintaining them, but they are used by approximately 10% of grails projects which makes me think they will be finding a maintainer soon.

To perhaps add a bit more flesh to this.

Resources is extensible to perform a wide range of processing tasks on static resources, and very easily so.

If you look at the Cached-Resources and Zipped-Resources source code in github you will see how these powerful plugins are implemented in a single class with very little code. Resources does all the heavy lifting.

Marc

~ ~ ~
Marc Palmer
Freelancer (Grails/Groovy/Java/UX)