Quantcast

Update 2.0.2 -> 2.0.3 / how to do ?

PrinzBernhard
This post was updated on .
Hi,

I am new to grails, I started with 2.0.2.
There is now an update 2.0.3.

How do I update from 2.0.2 to 2.0.3
Just download the ZIP-File and copy it over the old installation?

Or any more elegant way ?

I find with google an command  grails-update ,
but this is no longer existent.

Yours Bernhard

Re: Update 2.0.2 -> 2.0.3 / how to do ?

David
I download, unzip into a parallell dir to 2.0.2 (/opt/share in my case), and in there I have a symlink from grails-2.0.3 to grails:

grails -> grails-2.0.3
grails-1.3.7
grails-2.0.1
grails-2.0.2
grails-2.0.3

In an environment variable named $GRAILS_HOME I'm pointing to this symlinked dir, and I also put $GRAILS_HOME/bin into my path (in /etc/profile):

export GRAILS_HOME=/opt/share/grails
export PATH=${PATH}:${ANT_HOME}/bin:${GROOVY_HOME}/bin:${GRAILS_HOME}/bin:${ROO_HOME}/bin

If i now run "grails -version" in a console I can verify that 2.0.3 is my current version, and then in the project directory i run "grails upgrade" to take the project up to that version.

/David

3 apr 2012 kl. 14.47 skrev PrinzBernhard:

> Hi,
>
> I am new to grails, stated with 2.0.2.
> There is now an update 2.0.3.
>
> How do I update from 2.0.2 to 2.0.3
> Just download the ZIP-File and copy it over the old installation?
>
> Or any more elegant way ?
>
> I find with google an command  grails-update ,
> but this is no longer existent.
>
> Yours Bernhard

Re: Update 2.0.2 -> 2.0.3 / how to do ?

Florian Beckmann
On Tuesday 03 April 2012 14:47:52 you wrote:
> Hi,
Hi Bernhard.

> I am new to grails, stated with 2.0.2.
> There is now an update 2.0.3.
>
> How do I update from 2.0.2 to 2.0.3
> Just download the ZIP-File and copy it over the old installation?>
> Or any more elegant way ?

Well, you should download and unzip it where you like (don't copy it over the
old installation!) and may add the new directory
grails-2.0.3/bin to your PATH environment variable (and remove the old entry
for 2.0.2).

So, when you type the grails command inside a terminal/console the command
will be found without having to specify the whole path to the grails
executable.

For Unix/Linux you can add this (as root user) globally in /etc/profile:
or just locally for your user in ~/.profile (/home/YOUR_USERNAME/.profile)
i.e.

export GRAILS_HOME=/opt/grails/grails-2.0.3/
export PATH=$GRAILS_HOME/bin/:$PATH

For windows see: http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000549.htm

You should reboot your machine for both windows and unix/linux.

To make sure the entry in PATH points to the right bin folder type
   grails -version
in a console.

The output should be like:
Grails version: 2.0.3

> I find with google an command  grails-update ,
> but this is no longer existent.

Don't know anything about a grails-update command or application, but there is
a goal for upgrading.

Simply type
        grails upgrade
inside your project directory.

See also http://grails.org/doc/2.0.x/ref/Command%20Line/upgrade.html

Re: Update 2.0.2 -> 2.0.3 / how to do ?

Roberto Guerra
This is how I install and upgrade on my linux box:

1. Unzip the binary unto any dir. I normally have a folder where I store all the grails binaries..
3. Create a link on /usr/local to grails installation. E.g:
cd /usr/local
ln -s /path/to/my/grails-version/dir grails

3. Change owner and permissions for the grails link. I am the only user on my box, so I just hand off ownership to my account.
4. Create the environment variables. I normally place these on .bashrc. To have it take effect immediately, just type . .bashrc. Or close the terminal and open a new one. No need for reboot.
5. Place the /usr/local/$GRAILS_HOME/bin on my path.
6. And now user grails :)
 For upgrades, then all i have to do is to drop the link and create a new grails link that points to my new installation:

cd /usr/local
unlink grails
ln -s /path/to/my/grails-new-version/dir grails

And now I can use the newest version of grails without much hassle.

On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 7:37 AM, Florian Beckmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tuesday 03 April 2012 14:47:52 you wrote:
> Hi,
Hi Bernhard.

> I am new to grails, stated with 2.0.2.
> There is now an update 2.0.3.
>
> How do I update from 2.0.2 to 2.0.3
> Just download the ZIP-File and copy it over the old installation?>
> Or any more elegant way ?

Well, you should download and unzip it where you like (don't copy it over the
old installation!) and may add the new directory
grails-2.0.3/bin to your PATH environment variable (and remove the old entry
for 2.0.2).

So, when you type the grails command inside a terminal/console the command
will be found without having to specify the whole path to the grails
executable.

For Unix/Linux you can add this (as root user) globally in /etc/profile:
or just locally for your user in ~/.profile (/home/YOUR_USERNAME/.profile)
i.e.

export GRAILS_HOME=/opt/grails/grails-2.0.3/
export PATH=$GRAILS_HOME/bin/:$PATH

For windows see: http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000549.htm

You should reboot your machine for both windows and unix/linux.

To make sure the entry in PATH points to the right bin folder type
  grails -version
in a console.

The output should be like:
Grails version: 2.0.3

> I find with google an command  grails-update ,
> but this is no longer existent.

Don't know anything about a grails-update command or application, but there is
a goal for upgrading.

Simply type
       grails upgrade
inside your project directory.

See also http://grails.org/doc/2.0.x/ref/Command%20Line/upgrade.html

The Journey Is The Reward.

Re: Update 2.0.2 -> 2.0.3 / how to do ?

PrinzBernhard
Hi,

thanks for the super fast, long and complete help .
Thnis gives me a good introduction to the grooy/grails community.

I work under Windows, so I don´t have symbolic links.

I follow your suggestion and changed my strategy from
GRAIL_HOME=C:\grails   to
GRAILS_HOME=C:\grails-2.0.3
(and PATH the same)

Thanks again for helping

Re: Update 2.0.2 -> 2.0.3 / how to do ?

bksaville
There are symbolic and hard links in windows, just not as well known :)

Try mklink from a command shell. I use this myself to do exactly what David
is suggesting.

HTH,
-Brian

Re: Update 2.0.2 -> 2.0.3 / how to do ?

xedx
Here's a great tool if you're working on Mac OS or Unix-like systems:  http://cantina.co/2012/01/10/managing-your-grails-versions-with-gswitch/

gswitch enables you to easily switch back and forth between grails version with a single command.  It also installs new versions of grails.  This little script is a real time / human error saver.

On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 11:32 AM, Brian Saville <[hidden email]> wrote:
There are symbolic and hard links in windows, just not as well known :)

Try mklink from a command shell. I use this myself to do exactly what David
is suggesting.

HTH,
-Brian

Re: Update 2.0.2 -> 2.0.3 / how to do ?

Karsten Silz
At least for Linux / Mac, there's a more convenient way:

https://github.com/deluan/grails.sh

Assuming that all Grails versions are installed in the same directory on your machine (e.g., /opt/grails-1.3.7, /opt/grails-2.0.2 and so on), this script will automatically call the right grails version for you, depending on the project! I've used it myself successfully with both a 1.3.7 project and a 2.0.0.

Re: Update 2.0.2 -> 2.0.3 / how to do ?

tuler
For Mac users, grails is available through the excellent Homebrew. 2.0.3 is available now.
Homebrew also supports multiple installed versions.

Best regards,
Danilo

Abraço,
Danilo

On Tuesday, 3 de April de 2012 at 15:36, Karsten Silz wrote:

At least for Linux / Mac, there's a more convenient way:

Assuming that all Grails versions are installed in the same directory on
your machine (e.g., /opt/grails-1.3.7, /opt/grails-2.0.2 and so on), this
script will automatically call the right grails version for you, depending
on the project! I've used it myself successfully with both a 1.3.7 project
and a 2.0.0.

Re: Update 2.0.2 -> 2.0.3 / how to do ?

alxndrsn
On 3 April 2012 21:36, Karsten Silz <[hidden email]> wrote:
> At least for Linux / Mac, there's a more convenient way:
>
> https://github.com/deluan/grails.sh https://github.com/deluan/grails.sh

grails.sh is great - super simple and no hassle.  It works on Windows
with bash too.