Upgrade from Grails 2.04

jbarrionuevo
Hi everyone,

I'm working on a legacy Grails 2.0.4 application (with several plugins) and would like to upgrade it to the latest version.

Is there a specific version I should target to, in order to ensure the smoothest possible migration?

Also, any suggestion to anticipate migration drawbacks will be appreciated.

At the moment, using this documentation as a reference:

Thanks,

PS: These are the plugins the application depends on:

burning-image:0.5.0
email-confirmation:1.0.5
mail:1.0
hibernate:2.0.4
tomcat:2.0.4
jquery:1.7.1
spring-security-core:1.2.7.2
i18n-fields:0.6.1
quartz:1.0.2
recaptcha:1.2.0

Re: Upgrade from Grails 2.04

Daniel Leahy
Hi Jorge,
               I would recommend the latest stable version of grails

3.3.10

I don't think there is any point using older versions

Grails 3 is built on top of gradle and springboot.

Grails 4 is going to be released soon which uses micronaut instead of some spring components so that will be a bigger transition I think.

I haven't heard of the burning-image:0.5.0 plugin

all the rest have more modern equivalents.

Might be worth asking about your proposed migration on the grails community slack channel.

I don't know what IDE you're using.

I highly recommend IntelliJ Ultimate for grails.

Regards,
               Daniel Leahy.