Using Grails with a non-relational model

Using Grails with a non-relational model

Jean-Francois Cloutier
Hi,

I am new to Grails. I am wondering how easy or difficult it would be to
use Grails with a non-relational model, say, JavaSpaces. How decoupled
is the model layer from the rest of Grails?

In RoR, I know that ActiveRecord is quite entangled into the whole of
RoR (testing breaks without a relational DB etc.).

Thanks,
JF

Re: Using Grails with a non-relational model

graemer
At this stage, its pretty entangled i'm afraid

Graeme

On 7/26/06, Jean-Francois Cloutier <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am new to Grails. I am wondering how easy or difficult it would be to
> use Grails with a non-relational model, say, JavaSpaces. How decoupled
> is the model layer from the rest of Grails?
>
> In RoR, I know that ActiveRecord is quite entangled into the whole of
> RoR (testing breaks without a relational DB etc.).
>
> Thanks,
> JF

Re: Using Grails with a non-relational model

Jean-Francois Cloutier
Thanks for the sub-second response :-)

But is there a straightforward way to make use of the controller and
view layers, and substitute one's own non-relational model?

JF

On Wed, 2006-07-26 at 16:45 +0100, Graeme Rocher wrote:

> At this stage, its pretty entangled i'm afraid
>
> Graeme
>
> On 7/26/06, Jean-Francois Cloutier <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am new to Grails. I am wondering how easy or difficult it would be to
> > use Grails with a non-relational model, say, JavaSpaces. How decoupled
> > is the model layer from the rest of Grails?
> >
> > In RoR, I know that ActiveRecord is quite entangled into the whole of
> > RoR (testing breaks without a relational DB etc.).
> >
> > Thanks,
> > JF

Re: Using Grails with a non-relational model

graemer
At the moment if no data source is specified Grails will create an
in-memory database and session factory. So if you're happy with that
occupying a little bit of memory than you can ignore it :-)

Alternatively raise an issue and we can change it so if there are no
Grails domain objects than it doesn't create the database/hibernate
stuff at all

Graeme

On 7/26/06, Jean-Francois Cloutier <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for the sub-second response :-)
>
> But is there a straightforward way to make use of the controller and
> view layers, and substitute one's own non-relational model?
>
> JF
>
> On Wed, 2006-07-26 at 16:45 +0100, Graeme Rocher wrote:
> > At this stage, its pretty entangled i'm afraid
> >
> > Graeme
> >
> > On 7/26/06, Jean-Francois Cloutier <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I am new to Grails. I am wondering how easy or difficult it would be to
> > > use Grails with a non-relational model, say, JavaSpaces. How decoupled
> > > is the model layer from the rest of Grails?
> > >
> > > In RoR, I know that ActiveRecord is quite entangled into the whole of
> > > RoR (testing breaks without a relational DB etc.).
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > JF

Re: Using Grails with a non-relational model

graemer
Yes you can do this via Spring's resource.xml in the spring directory
of a grails app

Graeme

On 7/26/06, Dmitriy Kopylenko <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  If I'm not mistaken there is a way to "manually wire" Service objects (or
> any other POJOs for that matter) that could access "legacy" resources, via
> J2CA for example. I guess those one of the key features that makes Grails
> "enterprise-ready" or "enterprise-friendly": it has full access to JEE
> stack! Is that a correct assumption?
>
>  Dmitriy.
>

>  Jean-Francois Cloutier wrote:
>  Thanks for the sub-second response :-)
>
> But is there a straightforward way to make use of the controller and
> view layers, and substitute one's own non-relational model?
>
> JF
>
> On Wed, 2006-07-26 at 16:45 +0100, Graeme Rocher wrote:
>

>  At this stage, its pretty entangled i'm afraid
>
> Graeme
>
> On 7/26/06, Jean-Francois Cloutier <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>  Hi,
>
> I am new to Grails. I am wondering how easy or difficult it would be to
> use Grails with a non-relational model, say, JavaSpaces. How decoupled
> is the model layer from the rest of Grails?
>
> In RoR, I know that ActiveRecord is quite entangled into the whole of
> RoR (testing breaks without a relational DB etc.).
>
> Thanks,
> JF

>  http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email

Re: Using Grails with a non-relational model

Jean-Francois Cloutier
Great.

I'll raise an issue re. in-memory relational database even though it is
not a real problem.

Thanks!
JF

On Wed, 2006-07-26 at 17:02 +0100, Graeme Rocher wrote:

> Yes you can do this via Spring's resource.xml in the spring directory
> of a grails app
>
> Graeme
>
> On 7/26/06, Dmitriy Kopylenko <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >  If I'm not mistaken there is a way to "manually wire" Service objects (or
> > any other POJOs for that matter) that could access "legacy" resources, via
> > J2CA for example. I guess those one of the key features that makes Grails
> > "enterprise-ready" or "enterprise-friendly": it has full access to JEE
> > stack! Is that a correct assumption?
> >
> >  Dmitriy.
> >

> >  Jean-Francois Cloutier wrote:
> >  Thanks for the sub-second response :-)
> >
> > But is there a straightforward way to make use of the controller and
> > view layers, and substitute one's own non-relational model?
> >
> > JF
> >
> > On Wed, 2006-07-26 at 16:45 +0100, Graeme Rocher wrote:
> >

> >  At this stage, its pretty entangled i'm afraid
> >
> > Graeme
> >
> > On 7/26/06, Jean-Francois Cloutier <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> >  Hi,
> >
> > I am new to Grails. I am wondering how easy or difficult it would be to
> > use Grails with a non-relational model, say, JavaSpaces. How decoupled
> > is the model layer from the rest of Grails?
> >
> > In RoR, I know that ActiveRecord is quite entangled into the whole of
> > RoR (testing breaks without a relational DB etc.).
> >
> > Thanks,
> > JF

> >  http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email

Re: Using Grails with a non-relational model

Jeremy Aston
On a related matter - what if you wanted to use a non database method
of persistence - for example placing data directly into an XML file
(possibly serialised) or some other file type in a file system,
perhaps via DAV?

rgds

jez

On 26 Jul 2006, at 17:02, Graeme Rocher wrote:

> Yes you can do this via Spring's resource.xml in the spring directory
> of a grails app
>
> Graeme
>
> On 7/26/06, Dmitriy Kopylenko <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>  If I'm not mistaken there is a way to "manually wire" Service
>> objects (or
>> any other POJOs for that matter) that could access "legacy"
>> resources, via
>> J2CA for example. I guess those one of the key features that makes
>> Grails
>> "enterprise-ready" or "enterprise-friendly": it has full access to
>> JEE
>> stack! Is that a correct assumption?
>>
>>  Dmitriy.
>>

>>  Jean-Francois Cloutier wrote:
>>  Thanks for the sub-second response :-)
>>
>> But is there a straightforward way to make use of the controller and
>> view layers, and substitute one's own non-relational model?
>>
>> JF
>>
>> On Wed, 2006-07-26 at 16:45 +0100, Graeme Rocher wrote:
>>

>>  At this stage, its pretty entangled i'm afraid
>>
>> Graeme
>>
>> On 7/26/06, Jean-Francois Cloutier <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>  Hi,
>>
>> I am new to Grails. I am wondering how easy or difficult it would
>> be to
>> use Grails with a non-relational model, say, JavaSpaces. How
>> decoupled
>> is the model layer from the rest of Grails?
>>
>> In RoR, I know that ActiveRecord is quite entangled into the whole of
>> RoR (testing breaks without a relational DB etc.).
>>
>> Thanks,
>> JF

>>  http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email

Re: Re: Using Grails with a non-relational model

graemer
My above comments where not to say its impossible, in fact on the
roadmap is allow Grails to use JPA instead of Hibernate so we are
aiming for different persistence mechanisms.

The interfaces are abstract enough to allow this, its just there are
other priorities at the moment. Unless anyone wants to contribute this
wonderful things ! ;-)

On 7/27/06, Jeremy Aston <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On a related matter - what if you wanted to use a non database method
> of persistence - for example placing data directly into an XML file
> (possibly serialised) or some other file type in a file system,
> perhaps via DAV?
>
> rgds
>
> jez
>
> On 26 Jul 2006, at 17:02, Graeme Rocher wrote:
>
> > Yes you can do this via Spring's resource.xml in the spring directory
> > of a grails app
> >
> > Graeme
> >
> > On 7/26/06, Dmitriy Kopylenko <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >>  If I'm not mistaken there is a way to "manually wire" Service
> >> objects (or
> >> any other POJOs for that matter) that could access "legacy"
> >> resources, via
> >> J2CA for example. I guess those one of the key features that makes
> >> Grails
> >> "enterprise-ready" or "enterprise-friendly": it has full access to
> >> JEE
> >> stack! Is that a correct assumption?
> >>
> >>  Dmitriy.
> >>

> >>  Jean-Francois Cloutier wrote:
> >>  Thanks for the sub-second response :-)
> >>
> >> But is there a straightforward way to make use of the controller and
> >> view layers, and substitute one's own non-relational model?
> >>
> >> JF
> >>
> >> On Wed, 2006-07-26 at 16:45 +0100, Graeme Rocher wrote:
> >>

> >>  At this stage, its pretty entangled i'm afraid
> >>
> >> Graeme
> >>
> >> On 7/26/06, Jean-Francois Cloutier <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>

> >>  Hi,
> >>
> >> I am new to Grails. I am wondering how easy or difficult it would
> >> be to
> >> use Grails with a non-relational model, say, JavaSpaces. How
> >> decoupled
> >> is the model layer from the rest of Grails?
> >>
> >> In RoR, I know that ActiveRecord is quite entangled into the whole of
> >> RoR (testing breaks without a relational DB etc.).
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> JF

> >>  http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email

> >    http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email

Re: Using Grails with a non-relational model

mike_stephen
Hi Jean-Francois,

Spring Modules has some kind of Javaspaces support (never tried it though):

https://springmodules.dev.java.net/docs/reference/0.5/html_single/#javaspaces

You could perhaps wire this up into Grails' application context and access it from your
Services or Controllers?

Regards,

Mike.

Jean-Francois Cloutier wrote
Hi,

I am new to Grails. I am wondering how easy or difficult it would be to
use Grails with a non-relational model, say, JavaSpaces. How decoupled
is the model layer from the rest of Grails?

In RoR, I know that ActiveRecord is quite entangled into the whole of
RoR (testing breaks without a relational DB etc.).

Thanks,
JF

Re: Using Grails with a non-relational model

Jean-Francois Cloutier
Thanks Mike. I saw that.

There's also http://www.gigaspaces.com/wiki/display/GS/Spring