Using grails shell with 3.2.2 or 3.2.3

Derek Alexander
Hi,

From the latest docs, it seems that the 'grails shell' command is still supported.

http://docs.grails.org/3.2.3/ref/Command%20Line/shell.html

Yet, when trying this I get the message:

| Error The Grails shell must be run from Gradle using 'gradle shell -q'

Is that the same for everyone or something wrong with my install.

Installed with sdkman, running on Java 1.7

Trying 'gradle shell -q' from the command line, I'm told gradle is not installed (as it isn't other than as part of grails). Am surprised if I need to install it separately though.

Tried opening the grails console: 'grails' then running the command 'gradle shell -q' from there. It looked promising but eventually just hung.

Do I really need to install gradle separately to be able to use 'grails shell' ?

Are the docs out of date ?

Re: Using grails shell with 3.2.2 or 3.2.3

Graeme Rocher-2
Yes you need gradle installed. The reason when Gradle is embedded
within the “grails” user input no longer works so the shell doesn’t
work. Using “gradle shell -q” resolves that

If you don’t want to install gradle you run run “./gradlew shell -q”

Cheers