VMware paid support vs contribution to Groovy, Grails, GGTS

VMware paid support vs contribution to Groovy, Grails, GGTS

Andrew P. Tasi
I have some questions related to paid support for Groovy, Grails, and GGTS.

Background:
  • I work for a large enterprisey institution, and my team is considering using Groovy and Grails and/or Microsoft C# and ASP.NET.
  • I was recently sent to nine days of training on C# and ASP.NET Webforms.  Because of my previous experience and/or exposure to standards-based web development, (Sales)Force.com, Python, Rails, Groovy, and Grails; over the course of those nine days I grew to absolutely despise ASP.NET Webforms.
  • Over the last couple of months I followed the threads and comments regarding Grails plugin support, the size of the Grails team, resource constraints, and Marc Palmer's attempted Kickstarter project (to which I pledged since that seemed far preferable than doing Webforms development).
  • The homepage for Grails.org states, "SpringSource enterprise software and support subscriptions are the way to get developer and production support for Grails and other SpringSource software products...", so I decided to look into that.
Questions - if my team goes with Grails and purchases support from VMware:
  1. Is the "vFabric Developer Support" (either Standard or Premium) the 'right' package to buy to receive paid support for issues related to Groovy, Grails, and GGTS?  http://www.vmware.com/support/services/vfabric-developer.html
  2. What's in it for the community?
    • How much of that US $3500 or $7000/seat/year actually goes to funding Groovy and Grails development?
    • If enough of us buy paid support, will VMware/SpringSource hire more engineers, technical writers, etc. specifically to work on Groovy, Grails, and/or GGTS?
  3. What's really in it for me and my team?  If we run into an bug and have paid support:
    • What do we get beyond a "Target Response Time" of 4 or 12 hours?
    • Will that JIRA bug have an SLA or a higher priority than the unpaid JIRA issues?  If anybody takes offense at that, please see questions #2.
    FOSS is good.  FOSS with paid support that benefits you and the community is great.

    Thank you,
    Andrew P. Tasi

    Re: VMware paid support vs contribution to Groovy, Grails, GGTS

    Graeme Rocher
    Administrator
    Hi Andrew,

    To answer your questions:

    1) Yes http://www.vmware.com/support/services/vfabric-developer.html is the correct page for information on support (Groovy/Grails is mentioned under supported products)
    2) No company with as many products as VMware directly passes support revenue onto the products being supported. However, if we had 10x or 100x times more Groovy / Grails support customers then absolutely we would have more resources on the project.
    3) You get your questions answered in the "target response time" and yes we do prioritize support customers for JIRA bug fixes

    Regards,

      http://www.springsource.com

      Re: VMware paid support vs contribution to Groovy, Grails, GGTS

      Andrew P. Tasi
      That all makes sense - thank you for your response, Graeme.

      Regards,
      Andrew P. Tasi