We Need You! (to help on the grails.org refresh)

12

We Need You! (to help on the grails.org refresh)

pledbrook
Hi everyone,

The grails.org website has been undergoing a redesign the last few
months thanks to the work of Damien Vitrac and Eric Berry. You can see
the results here (minus the Grails and SpringSource logos - my bad):

    http://beta.grails.org

We could now do with some help to finish it off. It's a great way to
contribute back, particularly as the site is just a Grails (2.1)
application. The source code for the new version is here:

    https://github.com/smaldini/grails-website

and the stuff left to do is currently in JIRA:

    http://jira.grails.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=project+%3D+WEBSITE+AND+issuetype+in+standardIssueTypes%28%29+AND+resolution+%3D+Unresolved+AND+fixVersion+%3D+13217

Hopefully the README on the GitHub repository gives you enough
information to get started, but if not then please ask questions here.
Or submit pull requests to the README!

If you have any questions about specific tasks, then please add those
as comments to the corresponding JIRA issues. And if you would like to
take on one of the tasks, please just add a comment "I'll take this"
and submit pull requests to the above GitHub repo.

Finally, if you have any feedback or suggestions for the new site, let
us know. If you have concrete requests, the best thing to do is raise
an issue in JIRA under the WEBSITE project and set the "Affects
version" to 2.0.

Many thanks and I hope you like the proposed new site!

Peter

--
Peter Ledbrook
Grails Advocate

Ravi Teja

Re: We Need You! (to help on the grails.org refresh)

bond_
A few questions:
  • Why was shiro used and not spring-security-core?
  • Wouldn't spring-security-oauth accomplish what shiro-oauth does?
  • http-builder has low/zero development activity and uses pretty old dependency causes many issues. Suggestion here would be to migrate to groovy-wslite(got this after a little research)

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 4:27 PM, Stephane Maldini <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Ravi Teja

Re: We Need You! (to help on the grails.org refresh)

sethfuller
It may be too late to add things, but as I mentioned in the thread about user's experiences with Grails (or Garils) I think it would be great to have a community driven wiki with user's tips about solutions to problems they have found when trying to solve problems in development.

It could be things as simple as injecting grailsApplication in your class to get at the config operations or some way to configure springsecurity for your application.

I think this would be a great resource for the Grails community and if many of the more active posters on this board posted a few of their tips it could be fairly large quite quickly.

Re: We Need You! (to help on the grails.org refresh)

burtbeckwith
This is a great idea but has to be designed well to be usable. There are already a few large pages on the site that have so many items that there's a significant signal-to-noise problem, e.g. http://grails.org/Success+Stories and even http://grails.org/FAQ. Whatever gets implemented (whether it's on grails.org or an external site) has to have a good UI and also be maintained well so it's current and useful.

Burt

sethfuller wrote
[...]

Nathan Wells
I peeled off the "wiki" idea into a separate thread...

Nathan Wells

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 9:46 AM, sethfuller <[hidden email]> wrote:
Well I could put 5-10 hours a week into it. If other people participated, the
burden wouldn't be too great.

burtbeckwith wrote

> This is a great idea but has to be designed well to be usable. There are
> already a few large pages on the site that have so many items that there's
> a significant signal-to-noise problem, e.g.
> http://grails.org/Success+Stories and even http://grails.org/FAQ. Whatever
> gets implemented (whether it's on grails.org or an external site) has to
> have a good UI and also be maintained well so it's current and useful.
>
> Burt
>

> sethfuller wrote
>>
>> It may be too late to add things, but as I mentioned in the thread about
>> user's experiences with Grails (or Garils) I think it would be great to
>> have a community driven wiki with user's tips about solutions to problems
>> they have found when trying to solve problems in development.
>>
>> It could be things as simple as injecting grailsApplication in your class
>> to get at the config operations or some way to configure springsecurity
>> for your application.
>>
>> I think this would be a great resource for the Grails community and if
>> many of the more active posters on this board posted a few of their tips
>> it could be fairly large quite quickly.

Re: We Need You! (to help on the grails.org refresh)

chichibek bros
please please distraction free mode for the new page easy to find page , some text are difficult to read because the colour, internationalization is very important i would like to help in this area.

2012/7/31 Nathan Wells <[hidden email]>
I peeled off the "wiki" idea into a separate thread...

Nathan Wells

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 9:46 AM, sethfuller <[hidden email]> wrote:
Well I could put 5-10 hours a week into it. If other people participated, the
burden wouldn't be too great.

burtbeckwith wrote

> This is a great idea but has to be designed well to be usable. There are
> already a few large pages on the site that have so many items that there's
> a significant signal-to-noise problem, e.g.
> http://grails.org/Success+Stories and even http://grails.org/FAQ. Whatever
> gets implemented (whether it's on grails.org or an external site) has to
> have a good UI and also be maintained well so it's current and useful.
>
> Burt
>

> sethfuller wrote
>>
>> It may be too late to add things, but as I mentioned in the thread about
>> user's experiences with Grails (or Garils) I think it would be great to
>> have a community driven wiki with user's tips about solutions to problems
>> they have found when trying to solve problems in development.
>>
>> It could be things as simple as injecting grailsApplication in your class
>> to get at the config operations or some way to configure springsecurity
>> for your application.
>>
>> I think this would be a great resource for the Grails community and if
>> many of the more active posters on this board posted a few of their tips
>> it could be fairly large quite quickly.

Re: We Need You! (to help on the grails.org refresh)

John Fletcher-3
I like it. Love the left navigation, nice and comfortable to use. The
mouseover background highlighting on that nav could be a little darker
though.

I think two clicks (as it is) is reasonable to download the latest
version. The drupal website http://drupal.org/ requires three clicks
and this is positively irritating.

The only thing is it takes a slight scan to find the download link.
It's OK, but I would consider adding a green button saying "download
now" (link to downloads page) or "download version 2.0.4" (direct
download) to the home page - you could put it right-aligned, in the
same line as the first heading (What is Grails?). To have the download
link in a moving banner, as currently seen, doesn't make sense at all
to me.

Sorry but Grails JIRA is down right now.

Regards,
John

2012/7/31 chichibek bros <[hidden email]>:

> please please distraction free mode for the new page easy to find page ,
> some text are difficult to read because the colour, internationalization is
> very important i would like to help in this area.
>

> 2012/7/31 Nathan Wells <[hidden email]>
>>
>> I peeled off the "wiki" idea into a separate thread...
>>
>> Nathan Wells
>>

>> On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 9:46 AM, sethfuller <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Well I could put 5-10 hours a week into it. If other people participated,
>>> the
>>> burden wouldn't be too great.
>>>

>>> burtbeckwith wrote

Re: We Need You! (to help on the grails.org refresh)

Roberto Guerra
I get an error with the grails-website project. It can't seem to resolve org.grails.plugins:yui:2.6.0

The Journey Is The Reward.

Re: We Need You! (to help on the grails.org refresh)

pledbrook
> I get an error with the grails-website project. It can't seem to resolve
> org.grails.plugins:yui:2.6.0

Hmmm...that seems odd. In fact we're trying to remove YUI from the
site. Can you run dependency-report and see what is including YUI
2.6.0? I'm not running into the issue myself and can't see where it's
coming from.

Regardless, the plugin is available here:

    http://repo.grails.org/grails/plugins/org/grails/plugins/yui/2.6.0/

so it seems like there may be a misconfiguration. You're definitely
using Grails 2.1.0 with the code from the master branch of
smaldini/grails-website ?

Thanks,

Peter

--
Peter Ledbrook
Grails Advocate

Re: We Need You! (to help on the grails.org refresh)

pledbrook
> I think two clicks (as it is) is reasonable to download the latest
> version. The drupal website http://drupal.org/ requires three clicks
> and this is positively irritating.

I think it makes sense to resurrect the "Download Grails ... Now" on
the front page.

> Sorry but Grails JIRA is down right now.

Working for me. Can you access it now?

Peter

--
Peter Ledbrook
Developer Advocate

Re: We Need You! (to help on the grails.org refresh)

bond_
Hi Peter,

We faced the exact same issue in one of our projects. My suggestion would be to drop the grails-ui plugin from grails.org site.

So the solution that I did was:

dependencies{
        runtime ":yui:2.8.2.1"
        runtime ":famfamfam:1.0.1"
        runtime (":bubbling:2.1.4"){
            excludes "yui"
        }
        runtime (":grails-ui:1.2.3"){
            //for unresolvable dependency yui:[2.6.0,)
            excludes "yui"

Ravi Teja

Re: We Need You! (to help on the grails.org refresh)

Roberto Guerra
Thanks Raviteja, it worked.
I had to exclude yui from grails-ui.

The Journey Is The Reward.

Re: We Need You! (to help on the grails.org refresh)

Octavian Covalschi
I personally don't like the color scheme, it reminds me bootstrap from twitter. Where is the calming green?

Other thoughts:

- bottom 3 blocks, training, support and community are too tall, imho, I mean they take like 30% of the page... I think if they will be cut in half will look better. And more grails specific info will fit.

- I do like left navigation too, but I hate external links in navigation... it doesn't feel right.

- Documentation and external links. Again, colors, one second I'm in gray/dark color scheme and next I'm on a bright green on github. Will they eventually have the same colors?

- Download button looks horrible, too round...

- I think main page should have direct download link with the latest stable version

- I hate "fake" checkboxes in plugins left section. Will they eventually be checkboxes?

- I think Download page should get rid of plugins downloads. Instead it should have latest stable releases from each branch 2.1.x, 2.0.x, 1.3.x

- and last but not least, I think new design lost Grails originality, it looks and feel like any "regular" websites, at least home page...

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 5:12 AM, Peter Ledbrook <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

It is good to get feedback, but I think the best feedback is code.

Instead of saying what we don't like about the website, clone the project, do the modifications you think should be there, and do a pull request. I'm afraid everyone will just start posting
what they don't like and nothing will get done.

The Journey Is The Reward.

Re: We Need You! (to help on the grails.org refresh)

Octavian Covalschi
Most of my personal complaints are related to design, message and general impression, not code... I'm not a designer and cannot help with that, I'm just comparing with projects that I worked on and give my feedback.

More than that I think it's wrong that a website like this to be crowd sourced, I mean don't get me wrong, most of the work can be done by community, but the vision and message should be in hands of core Grails team and/or marketing team... Otherwise it will be a plain old mess, where there are a bunch of ideas put together and not thought through...

I think new web site should not be for current developers, but for managers and new devs experimenting with technologies...

I personally  use grails.org just to download latest stable version, documentation and plugins. Latter one I usually google and get to github anyway...  with plugins it's the same thing, google gets me to plugins I'm looking for...

The Journey Is The Reward.

Re: We Need You! (to help on the grails.org refresh)

Nathan Wells
Octavian,

I think Roberto's point is that your feedback in an email is valuable, but a pull request brings the point home with an example of how things could be better.

Nathan Wells

More than that I think it's wrong that a website like this to be crowd sourced, I mean don't get me wrong, most of the work can be done by community, but the vision and message should be in hands of core Grails team and/or marketing team... Otherwise it will be a plain old mess, where there are a bunch of ideas put together and not thought through...

Re: We Need You! (to help on the grails.org refresh)

pledbrook
> We faced the exact same issue in one of our projects. My suggestion would be
> to drop the grails-ui plugin from grails.org site.

I have pushed some changes that remove a bunch of plugins, including
grails-ui. This may have broken things, but they just need fixing :)

Cheers,

Peter

--
Peter Ledbrook