Why I like grails :-)

Stephan.Schmidt
Hello,

Rails has a nicer syntax than Grails due to its domain specific
language.

But nevertheless I like Grails over Rails for several reasons:

1.)  "I spent three days off and on (mostly off) trying to figure
this out, so I thought it would be nice to lay out the process. I
wanted to install Collaboa,
a useful Rails webapp for developing with Subversion online that is
similar to Trac. In order to get it working there is one important
dependency:
the Ruby SVN bindings. "

http://pjhyett.com/articles/2005/10/25/installing-ruby-svn-bindings

Well, I put javasvn.jar into lib/ and it was working at once.

2.) I couldn't remember how to do int conversion in Groovy. But
falling back to Java was easy and

def page =  Integer.parseInt( params[ "page"]  )

worked. That's leveraging existing library/API knowledge for me and a
big time saver

happy coding
bye
-stephan

Re: Why I like grails :-)

graemer
Hi Stephan

On 3/23/06, Stephan J. Schmidt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Rails has a nicer syntax than Grails due to its domain specific
> language.
Great to hear! Although the syntax thing is a matter of taste imo ;-)

> But nevertheless I like Grails over Rails for several reasons:
>
> 1.)  "I spent three days off and on (mostly off) trying to figure
> this out, so I thought it would be nice to lay out the process. I
> wanted to install Collaboa,
> a useful Rails webapp for developing with Subversion online that is
> similar to Trac. In order to get it working there is one important
> dependency:
> the Ruby SVN bindings. "
>
> http://pjhyett.com/articles/2005/10/25/installing-ruby-svn-bindings
>
> Well, I put javasvn.jar into lib/ and it was working at once.
Nice!

> 2.) I couldn't remember how to do int conversion in Groovy. But
> falling back to Java was easy and
>
> def page =  Integer.parseInt( params[ "page"]  )
>
> worked. That's leveraging existing library/API knowledge for me and a
> big time saver
Indeed and there are many more Java programmers out there than Ruby ones :-)

Graeme

> happy coding
> bye
> -stephan

RE: Why I like grails :-)

Dierk König
> > def page =  Integer.parseInt( params[ "page"]  )

BTW: String.
toInteger()
toFloat()
toDouble()

etc. While I know this wasn't your point ;-)

Mittie