Windows Service

Peter Mueller-8
Hello,

Apologies if this question has been answered somewhere.  I did not see it mentioned anywhere using documentation, google, or archives.

We have a working Grails installation on Windows Server 2003.  Currently we are starting our app via a batch file:

CD C:\ourapp\path\here
grails prod run-app 2>stderr.log > stdout.log

This is ok, and has performed quite well with 1.0.RC1.  (Though for some reason stderr.log and stdout.log are ignored).  However, I'm not very keen on running an app with a logged on user with a minimized command window.  What is the appropriate way to background or service this process?  In Linux, I would create an init script that backgrounds the process with &.  From what I can tell this is not possible with Windows.  Sc.exe and it's variants provide no help.  The ideal solution is a service, but background would be acceptable.

Thanks much for your replies.

Re: Windows Service

jens.riboe
If a commercial solution is acceptable (the license cost is very
moderate) you can wrap the batch file in AlwaysUp
     http://www.coretechnologies.com/products/AlwaysUp/#Key_Features

Peter Mueller skrev:

> Hello,
>
> Apologies if this question has been answered somewhere.  I did not see
> it mentioned anywhere using documentation, google, or archives.
>
> We have a working Grails installation on Windows Server 2003.
> Currently we are starting our app via a batch file:
>
> CD C:\ourapp\path\here
> grails prod run-app 2>stderr.log > stdout.log
>
> This is ok, and has performed quite well with 1.0.RC1.  (Though for
> some reason stderr.log and stdout.log are ignored).  However, I'm not
> very keen on running an app with a logged on user with a minimized
> command window.  What is the appropriate way to background or service
> this process?  In Linux, I would create an init script that
> backgrounds the process with &.  From what I can tell this is not
> possible with Windows.  Sc.exe and it's variants provide no help.  The
> ideal solution is a service, but background would be acceptable.
>
> Thanks much for your replies.
>
> Regards,

RE: Windows Service

JoeSkora
The Java Service Wrapper also is open source, works quite well, is very
easy to setup, and the license is not too restrictive for use or
redistribution.
http://wrapper.tanukisoftware.org/doc/english/introduction.html

Peter Mueller skrev:
> Hello,
>
> Apologies if this question has been answered somewhere.  I did not see

> it mentioned anywhere using documentation, google, or archives.
>
> We have a working Grails installation on Windows Server 2003.
> Currently we are starting our app via a batch file:
>
> CD C:\ourapp\path\here
> grails prod run-app 2>stderr.log > stdout.log
>
> This is ok, and has performed quite well with 1.0.RC1.  (Though for
> some reason stderr.log and stdout.log are ignored).  However, I'm not
> very keen on running an app with a logged on user with a minimized
> command window.  What is the appropriate way to background or service
> this process?  In Linux, I would create an init script that
> backgrounds the process with &.  From what I can tell this is not
> possible with Windows.  Sc.exe and it's variants provide no help.  The

> ideal solution is a service, but background would be acceptable.
>
> Thanks much for your replies.
>
> Regards,

RE: Windows Service

Peter Mueller-8
Thanks much.  This is what we will implement.

Re: Windows Service

Brian Huddleston-2
No problem.  Good luck with your deployment.

-Brian

On Dec 3, 2007 5:46 PM, Peter Mueller <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks much.  This is what we will implement.

Re: Windows Service

simran siddique
When you trying to saved the password and they won't saved the password in microsoft windows 10 its a common issue you facing in windows .