Quantcast

Would you like a forum on springsource.org?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
97 messages Options
12345
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Would you like a forum on springsource.org?

pledbrook
Hi everyone,

We have been considering adding a Grails forum to the springsource.org
community website. One reason is that many people prefer the forum
approach to that of a mailing list. Another reason is that it will
help Grails feel like a part of the SpringSource family.

The question is, what do you, the users, think of the idea? If most
would like a forum, should we still keep the mailing list?

Thanks,

Peter

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

    http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Would you like a forum on springsource.org?

jcunliffe
Hi,

Basically the mail archieve is a forum, just with a different, more user-friendly way of registering. Should you manage to set up a forum with rss and mail notification, I would probably prefer that over mails. If the forum has mail notification, it would make the mailing list obsolete.

If this is the time for ideas, just yesterday I was searching the mail archieve for ideas concerning categorization of plugins. With hundreds of plugins to come, I believe simply browsing or searching them, isn't enough. One should be able to specify in a plugin, which aspect of grails this plugin enhances and then be able to browse along those aspects, get their sub/similar categories suggested and get a facetted search on them, similar to library catalogues.

In any case, you might also consider using a service such as http://getsatisfaction.com/ - allowing users to make suggestions on plugins and the grails page itself in an embedded widget and vote/discuss ideas (such as those two), problems, errors or just hype the awesomeness of grails! :o)

Best,
John


On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 8:19 AM, Peter Ledbrook <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi everyone,

We have been considering adding a Grails forum to the springsource.org
community website. One reason is that many people prefer the forum
approach to that of a mailing list. Another reason is that it will
help Grails feel like a part of the SpringSource family.

The question is, what do you, the users, think of the idea? If most
would like a forum, should we still keep the mailing list?

Thanks,

Peter

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

   http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Would you like a forum on springsource.org?

Martin Flower
In reply to this post by pledbrook
+1 forum
-1 mailing list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Would you like a forum on springsource.org?

cazacugmihai
+1 forum

On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 9:50 AM, Martin Flower <[hidden email]> wrote:

+1 forum
-1 mailing list
--
View this message in context: http://grails.1312388.n4.nabble.com/Would-you-like-a-forum-on-springsource-org-tp2125049p2125079.html
Sent from the Grails - user mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

   http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email





--
-----------------------------------
Mihai Cazacu
Software Engineer
E-mail: [hidden email]
Mobile: +40 745 254 657

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Would you like a forum on springsource.org?

mos-7
In reply to this post by pledbrook
-1 forum  (springsource.org forums are not very handy)
+1 keep mailinglist  (main channel for Grails information-exchange)

Cheers,
Mos


On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 8:19 AM, Peter Ledbrook <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi everyone,

We have been considering adding a Grails forum to the springsource.org
community website. One reason is that many people prefer the forum
approach to that of a mailing list. Another reason is that it will
help Grails feel like a part of the SpringSource family.

The question is, what do you, the users, think of the idea? If most
would like a forum, should we still keep the mailing list?

Thanks,

Peter

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

   http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Would you like a forum on springsource.org?

Erik  Pragt
In reply to this post by pledbrook
Hi Peter,

While I can see why you want to integrate the Grails forum into the springsource website, I would vote against having another place to go to. If you use the Nabble Web UI, I don't see much difference in functionality compared to a forum, but the biggest benefits of Nabble is that it's 1 location to find almost anything, plus it provides easy access by being able to use your mail client to respond. For me, that beats a forum, and having to use two locations to search (or ask) for information would create fragmentation which I consider to be an extra downside.

Erik Pragt

On 4 mei 2010, at 08:19, Peter Ledbrook wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> We have been considering adding a Grails forum to the springsource.org
> community website. One reason is that many people prefer the forum
> approach to that of a mailing list. Another reason is that it will
> help Grails feel like a part of the SpringSource family.
>
> The question is, what do you, the users, think of the idea? If most
> would like a forum, should we still keep the mailing list?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Peter
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:
>
>    http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email
>
>


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

    http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Would you like a forum on springsource.org?

fabien7474
In reply to this post by pledbrook
-1 forum : springsource.org forums are not handy at all !
+1 Nabble : this is a mailing list AND a forum. Also no spam at all.

A question comes to my mind : if moving to springsource forum, what will happen of the Nabble messages (migration?) and our personal settings (like my favorite posts)?
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Would you like a forum on springsource.org?

fabien7474
In reply to this post by Erik Pragt
Erik Pragt wrote
Hi Peter,

While I can see why you want to integrate the Grails forum into the springsource website, I would vote against having another place to go to. If you use the Nabble Web UI, I don't see much difference in functionality compared to a forum, but the biggest benefits of Nabble is that it's 1 location to find almost anything, plus it provides easy access by being able to use your mail client to respond. For me, that beats a forum, and having to use two locations to search (or ask) for information would create fragmentation which I consider to be an extra downside.

Erik Pragt
Cannot agree more.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Would you like a forum on springsource.org?

Dan Carter
In reply to this post by pledbrook
+1 Forum
-1 Mailing list

Forums tend to be easier to read and it would be easier to cross reference with other parts of the Spring Source forums.
I hate the length some of these mailing list messages become when everyone just replies too (and doesn't remove) long posts.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Would you like a forum on springsource.org?

Dan Carter
Also not everyone wants loads of mailing list messages clogging up their inbox/phone/etc....
It's nice to be able to go to a site that handles all the data and just see/reply to what you are interested in, instead of 100 messages you are not
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Would you like a forum on springsource.org?

BASE Logic, Inc.
In reply to this post by pledbrook
1+ for forum!!!!

---
Thank You…

Mick Knutson, President

BASE Logic, Inc.
Enterprise Architecture, Design, Mentoring & Agile Consulting
p. (866) BLiNC-411: (254-6241-1)
f. (415) 685-4233

Website: http://www.baselogic.com
Blog: http://www.baselogic.com/blog/
Linked IN: http://linkedin.com/in/mickknutson
Twitter: http://twitter.com/mickknutson
Vacation Rental: http://tahoe.baselogic.com
---



On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 2:19 AM, Peter Ledbrook <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi everyone,

We have been considering adding a Grails forum to the springsource.org
community website. One reason is that many people prefer the forum
approach to that of a mailing list. Another reason is that it will
help Grails feel like a part of the SpringSource family.

The question is, what do you, the users, think of the idea? If most
would like a forum, should we still keep the mailing list?

Thanks,

Peter

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

   http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Would you like a forum on springsource.org?

Sébastien Blanc
In reply to this post by Erik Pragt
+1 mailing list


On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 10:03 AM, Erik Pragt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Peter,
>
> While I can see why you want to integrate the Grails forum into the springsource website, I would vote against having another place to go to. If you use the Nabble Web UI, I don't see much difference in functionality compared to a forum, but the biggest benefits of Nabble is that it's 1 location to find almost anything, plus it provides easy access by being able to use your mail client to respond. For me, that beats a forum, and having to use two locations to search (or ask) for information would create fragmentation which I consider to be an extra downside.
>
> Erik Pragt
>
> On 4 mei 2010, at 08:19, Peter Ledbrook wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> We have been considering adding a Grails forum to the springsource.org
>> community website. One reason is that many people prefer the forum
>> approach to that of a mailing list. Another reason is that it will
>> help Grails feel like a part of the SpringSource family.
>>
>> The question is, what do you, the users, think of the idea? If most
>> would like a forum, should we still keep the mailing list?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Peter
>>
>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>> To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:
>>
>>    http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email
>>
>>
>
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:
>
>    http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email
>
>
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

    http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Would you like a forum on springsource.org?

smaldini
+1 mailing list

On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 12:08 PM, Sébastien Blanc <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1 mailing list


On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 10:03 AM, Erik Pragt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> While I can see why you want to integrate the Grails forum into the springsource website, I would vote against having another place to go to. If you use the Nabble Web UI, I don't see much difference in functionality compared to a forum, but the biggest benefits of Nabble is that it's 1 location to find almost anything, plus it provides easy access by being able to use your mail client to respond. For me, that beats a forum, and having to use two locations to search (or ask) for information would create fragmentation which I consider to be an extra downside.
>
> Erik Pragt
>
> On 4 mei 2010, at 08:19, Peter Ledbrook wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> We have been considering adding a Grails forum to the springsource.org
>> community website. One reason is that many people prefer the forum
>> approach to that of a mailing list. Another reason is that it will
>> help Grails feel like a part of the SpringSource family.
>>
>> The question is, what do you, the users, think of the idea? If most
>> would like a forum, should we still keep the mailing list?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Peter
>>
>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>> To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:
>>
>>    http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email
>>
>>
>
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:
>
>    http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email
>
>
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

   http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email





--
Stéphane MALDINI
doc4web consultant
www.doc4web.com | www.icescrum.com
[hidden email]
--
http://fr.linkedin.com/in/smaldini
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Would you like a forum on springsource.org?

johnrellis
+1 Mailing list since the mailing list is already aggregated by Nabble for people that like forum type interactions.

On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 11:12 AM, Stephane Maldini <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1 mailing list


On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 12:08 PM, Sébastien Blanc <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1 mailing list


On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 10:03 AM, Erik Pragt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> While I can see why you want to integrate the Grails forum into the springsource website, I would vote against having another place to go to. If you use the Nabble Web UI, I don't see much difference in functionality compared to a forum, but the biggest benefits of Nabble is that it's 1 location to find almost anything, plus it provides easy access by being able to use your mail client to respond. For me, that beats a forum, and having to use two locations to search (or ask) for information would create fragmentation which I consider to be an extra downside.
>
> Erik Pragt
>
> On 4 mei 2010, at 08:19, Peter Ledbrook wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> We have been considering adding a Grails forum to the springsource.org
>> community website. One reason is that many people prefer the forum
>> approach to that of a mailing list. Another reason is that it will
>> help Grails feel like a part of the SpringSource family.
>>
>> The question is, what do you, the users, think of the idea? If most
>> would like a forum, should we still keep the mailing list?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Peter
>>
>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>> To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:
>>
>>    http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email
>>
>>
>
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:
>
>    http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email
>
>
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

   http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email





--
Stéphane MALDINI
doc4web consultant
www.doc4web.com | www.icescrum.com
[hidden email]
--
http://fr.linkedin.com/in/smaldini

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Would you like a forum on springsource.org?

rlovtangen
I tried a forum-only approach yesterday, but found out I needed to subscribe to the mailing list to be able to post through the "forum" as well, as it's just a proxy to the mailing list.
So there is no forum-only solution today, if you want to do more than read (?)

Ronny

On May 4, 2010, at 12:34 PM, John Rellis wrote:

+1 Mailing list since the mailing list is already aggregated by Nabble for people that like forum type interactions.

On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 11:12 AM, Stephane Maldini <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1 mailing list


On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 12:08 PM, Sébastien Blanc <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1 mailing list


On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 10:03 AM, Erik Pragt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> While I can see why you want to integrate the Grails forum into the springsource website, I would vote against having another place to go to. If you use the Nabble Web UI, I don't see much difference in functionality compared to a forum, but the biggest benefits of Nabble is that it's 1 location to find almost anything, plus it provides easy access by being able to use your mail client to respond. For me, that beats a forum, and having to use two locations to search (or ask) for information would create fragmentation which I consider to be an extra downside.
>
> Erik Pragt
>
> On 4 mei 2010, at 08:19, Peter Ledbrook wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> We have been considering adding a Grails forum to the springsource.org
>> community website. One reason is that many people prefer the forum
>> approach to that of a mailing list. Another reason is that it will
>> help Grails feel like a part of the SpringSource family.
>>
>> The question is, what do you, the users, think of the idea? If most
>> would like a forum, should we still keep the mailing list?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Peter
>>
>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>> To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:
>>
>>    http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email
>>
>>
>
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:
>
>    http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email
>
>
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

   http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email





--
Stéphane MALDINI
doc4web consultant
www.doc4web.com | www.icescrum.com
[hidden email]
--
http://fr.linkedin.com/in/smaldini


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

RE: Would you like a forum on springsource.org?

wwwclaes
In reply to this post by pledbrook
I'm voting for migrating to a forum. There are different opinions, but if you
do start a forum I would strongly advise against keeping the mail list as well.
That would split the community and communication and information search
would suffer.

Wouldn't using forums make search results more visible for Google & Co?
Right now I always do two searches, one using Nabble or similar and on
using Google for the rest of the Internet.

I also prefer the more clean structure and GUI using a dedicated forum.

In this thread there was also a suggestion regarding using other services
to make use and discussion of Grails more valuable, I think it was to enhance
the community around plugins.

I've also seen a growing number of questions regarding Grails at
StackOverflow. Is that a good thing or a bad thing? There are more
locations to look for information (bad thing), but if StackOverflow is used wisely
it could be a nice and relatively structured knowledge base (good thing).

Just thinking out loud I guess... not so many suggestions ;-)

/Claes

> Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 07:19:47 +0100
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: [grails-user] Would you like a forum on springsource.org?
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> We have been considering adding a Grails forum to the springsource.org
> community website. One reason is that many people prefer the forum
> approach to that of a mailing list. Another reason is that it will
> help Grails feel like a part of the SpringSource family.
>
> The question is, what do you, the users, think of the idea? If most
> would like a forum, should we still keep the mailing list?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Peter
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:
>
> http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email
>
>


Hotmail i mobilen på 5 sekunder! Klicka här!
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Would you like a forum on springsource.org?

Ales Smodis-2
In reply to this post by pledbrook
+1 mailing list

With mailing list I'm able to receive and store posts locally. I can set
up email filters to store incoming email in different folders, eg. per
mailing list. Reading/managing posts is easy and fast with a good
threaded email reader. I can search everything locally, with tools and
expressions bounded only by my imagination. And it's fast. Also I get
only text. True, some of you use html to pimp up your posts, but for now
that hasn't stopped me in finding what I was looking for.
What can I say, I like simplicity and being independent from as many
points of failure as I can.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

    http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

RE: Would you like a forum on springsource.org?

Richard Kroll-2
In reply to this post by pledbrook
I feel that a mailing list makes getting answers in near real time easy,
especially on a list as active as this one.  From a new user
perspective, it makes getting up to speed easier and enables quick
problem resolution.  One large problem I see with forums is the
resurrection of long dead threads, which can often times feed incorrect
information at worst and just be confusing at best (in relation to
current API/best practice).

That said - +1 to keeping the mailing list

Rich Kroll


-----Original Message-----
From: [hidden email] [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of
Peter Ledbrook
Sent: Tuesday, May 04, 2010 2:20 AM
To: [hidden email]
Subject: [grails-user] Would you like a forum on springsource.org?

Hi everyone,

We have been considering adding a Grails forum to the springsource.org
community website. One reason is that many people prefer the forum
approach to that of a mailing list. Another reason is that it will
help Grails feel like a part of the SpringSource family.

The question is, what do you, the users, think of the idea? If most
would like a forum, should we still keep the mailing list?

Thanks,

Peter

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

    http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email



"This message is for the named person's use only.  It may contain sensitive
and private proprietary or legally privileged information. No confidentiality
or privilege is waived or lost by any mis-transmission.  If you are not the
intended recipient, please immediately delete this message and all copies of
it from your system, destroy any hard copies of it and notify the sender.
You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or
copy any part of this message if you are not the intended recipient."

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

    http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Would you like a forum on springsource.org?

Robert Fletcher
In reply to this post by Ales Smodis-2
+1 mailing list

Why?
1) I use GMail, so I have 15000 odd threads from this mailing list
happily archived & searchable, failing that I can use Nabble.
2) I can use filters to highlight people asking questions about my
plugins. With a forum I'd have to remember to search periodically.
3) I can respond to the mailing list using any email client.
4) I can browse the mailing list on the go with my phone (not
necessarily impossible with a forum but likely to be less convenient
or usable).
5) The mailing list is all content, not decorated with SpringSource
branding or awkward UI.

KISS - a forum is complexity we don't need with no useful upside.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

    http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Would you like a forum on springsource.org?

Marc Palmer Local
In reply to this post by pledbrook

On 4 May 2010, at 07:19, Peter Ledbrook wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> We have been considering adding a Grails forum to the springsource.org
> community website. One reason is that many people prefer the forum
> approach to that of a mailing list. Another reason is that it will
> help Grails feel like a part of the SpringSource family.
>
> The question is, what do you, the users, think of the idea? If most
> would like a forum, should we still keep the mailing list?
>

No thanks - I for one would not be able to monitor a forum actively. Mail is push. I can use my own mail rules to pick up mails relating to my plugins, separate mails from people I know from people I don't etc.

IMO a forum would only work for people who like the mailing list if you could get all new posts via mail and have a built in link to instantly respond by mail.

Personally I think it asks too much of plugin authors to monitor a web forum (that is not specific to their own plugins) actively.

Marc
~ ~ ~
Marc Palmer
Blog         > http://www.anyware.co.uk
Twitter      > http://twitter.com/wangjammer5
Grails Rocks > http://www.grailsrocks.com







---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

    http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email


12345
Loading...