YUI Plug-In?

Randall R Schulz
Hi,

According to the JIRA entry <http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GRAILS-761>
the Yahoo! User Interface functionality has been moved to a plug-in,
but when I run "grails list-plugins" I don't see a YUI plug-in. Do I
have to do something (prior to or instead of invoking "grails
install-plugin") to use it?

Also, I notice that the JavaScript files in web-app/js/yahoo are
labelled version 0.1.0 while Yahoo! is currently providing version
2.3.1. Does the plug-in include an up-to-date version of YUI?

Thanks.

Randall Schulz

Re: YUI Plug-In?

Graeme-Rocher
As mentioned in the comments "a separate issue should be raised for
the creation of a YUI plugin"

Cheers

On Nov 18, 2007 9:29 PM, Randall R Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> According to the JIRA entry <http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GRAILS-761>
> the Yahoo! User Interface functionality has been moved to a plug-in,
> but when I run "grails list-plugins" I don't see a YUI plug-in. Do I
> have to do something (prior to or instead of invoking "grails
> install-plugin") to use it?
>
> Also, I notice that the JavaScript files in web-app/js/yahoo are
> labelled version 0.1.0 while Yahoo! is currently providing version
> 2.3.1. Does the plug-in include an up-to-date version of YUI?
>

> Thanks.
>
> Randall Schulz

G2One, Inc. Chief Technology Officer
http://www.g2one.com

Re: YUI Plug-In?

Randall R Schulz
On Monday 19 November 2007 01:27, Graeme Rocher wrote:
> As mentioned in the comments "a separate issue should be raised for
> the creation of a YUI plugin"

So in lieu of such a plug-in, what's the procedure for using YUI?

> Cheers

Randall Schulz

Re: YUI Plug-In?

Graeme-Rocher
On Nov 19, 2007 2:51 PM, Randall R Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Monday 19 November 2007 01:27, Graeme Rocher wrote:
> > As mentioned in the comments "a separate issue should be raised for
> > the creation of a YUI plugin"
>
> So in lieu of such a plug-in, what's the procedure for using YUI?

Directly using the YUI API

Cheers

On Monday 19 November 2007 07:02, Graeme Rocher wrote:
> On Nov 19, 2007 2:51 PM, Randall R Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Monday 19 November 2007 01:27, Graeme Rocher wrote:
> > > As mentioned in the comments "a separate issue should be raised
> > > for the creation of a YUI plugin"
> >
> > So in lieu of such a plug-in, what's the procedure for using YUI?
>
> Directly using the YUI API

OK. I guess. What advantage would the putative plug-in have, then?

And what do I do with the 0.1.0 versions of the YUI files that exist in
web-app/js/yahoo? Discard them? Why are they there? Where did they come
from?

Do I understand that when I use the <g:javascript library='libraryName'>
the "libraryName" is implicitly the name of the directory
below "web-app/js"? The documentation doesn't say how the g:javascript
tag interprets its arguments.

So I could, e.g., take the latest (2.3.1) YUI release and put it in,
say, web-app/js/yui and then use <g:javascript library='yui' />?

Lastly, is there any kind of selective loading, or does it just pull in
every .js file in the specified directory? If it's the latter, then I
gather I should prun down the complement of JavaScript source files
there to those I'm actually using?

Also, do you know what Sven meant in his reply to Mirko Weber:

-==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==-

-==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==-

> Cheers

Randall Schulz

Re: YUI Plug-In?

Scott Davis-2
I've been using the YUI on my last couple of Grails gigs. It has
become my Ajax framework of choice. However, the way I've been using
it requires you to understand the Ajax library itself -- I'm using
none of the Grails niceties because as you discovered the version of
the YUI included with Grails is not only severely out of date, but
more importantly doesn't match the idiomatic usage as described by the
YUI docs.

BTW, the YUI is quite extensively documented. Have you had a look at
them yourself? <http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/> I've been doing a
presentation all year on the NFJS tour that details using the YUI with
Grails. (Slides: <http://www.davisworld.org/presentations/yui.pdf>)
These two might help you over the hump.

In the meantime, I wouldn't look to Grails integration support for the
YUI. I'm as excited as the next person to see what the YUI plugin will
bring to the party, but in its absence I haven't had a single problem
using it as Yahoo! describes.

Here is an example of using the Calendar YUI widget. Your email client
may or may not munge the output, so in essence here is what I do.

To include the CSS, I use a standard HTML link tag with a createLinkTo
method for the href attribute:
link rel="stylesheet"
                      type="text/css"
                      href="${createLinkTo(dir:'js/yui/build/calendar/
assets',file:'calendar.css')}"

To include the JS, I use a standard HTML script tage with a
createLinkTo method for the src attribute:
script type="text/javascript"
                        src="${createLinkTo(dir:'js/yui/build/
calendar',file:'calendar-min.js')}"

<pre>
        <head>
                <!-- CSS -->
                <link rel="stylesheet"
                      type="text/css"
                      href="${createLinkTo(dir:'js/yui/build/calendar/
assets',file:'calendar.css')}">

                <!-- Dependencies -->
                <script type="text/javascript"
                        src="${createLinkTo(dir:'js/yui/build/yahoo-dom-
event',file:'yahoo-dom-event.js')}"></script>

                <!-- Source file -->
                <script type="text/javascript"
                        src="${createLinkTo(dir:'js/yui/build/
calendar',file:'calendar-min.js')}"></script>

                <g:javascript>
                        function init(){
                                //alert("hello world")
                                var myCal = new YAHOO.widget.Calendar("cal","myCal")
                                myCal.render()

                                var myCal2 = new YAHOO.widget.Calendar("cal2","myCal2",
                                                                        {pagedate:"5/2007", selected:"5/1/2007-5/3/2007,5/5/2007",
MULTI_SELECT:true})
                                                                //myCal2.cfg.setProperty("selected","1/15/2007",false)
                                                                myCal2.render()

                        }
                </g:javascript>
        </head>

</pre>

Hopefully, this helps clarify Sven's reply to another email. The YUI
is broken up into discrete libraries that you need to include as
needed. This is like importing only the Java libraries you need at the
top of your source file. You would no more import every library in the
JDK in every class than you would import every YUI library in every
GSP file. With Java, you might not pay the price for your eagerness,
but with Ajax development you would suffer greatly (and deservedly...
grin). Every Ajax library needs to be downloaded to the client before
it can execute. Therefore, you want to limit the number and size of
all JS and CSS downloads.

I encourage you to check out the YSlow plugin for Firebug (<http://developer.yahoo.com/yslow/
 >), read the accompanying O'Reilly book written by Steve Souders, the
chief performance Yahoo (High Performance Web Sites), and look at
using a JS minifier like the YUI Compressor (implemented in Java, BTW
--- <http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/compressor/> ) to give you the
best possible experience integrating YUI with Grails. None of these
will likely be provided by the YUI plugin when it ships, but these are
the things you should be doing as an Ajax professional.

HTH,

Scott Davis
[hidden email]

On Nov 19, 2007, at 8:20 AM, Randall R Schulz wrote:

> On Monday 19 November 2007 07:02, Graeme Rocher wrote:
>>>
>>> So in lieu of such a plug-in, what's the procedure for using YUI?
>>
>> Directly using the YUI API
>
> OK. I guess. What advantage would the putative plug-in have, then?
>
> And what do I do with the 0.1.0 versions of the YUI files that exist
> in
> web-app/js/yahoo? Discard them? Why are they there? Where did they
> come
> from?
>
> Do I understand that when I use the <g:javascript
> library='libraryName'>
> the "libraryName" is implicitly the name of the directory
> below "web-app/js"? The documentation doesn't say how the g:javascript
> tag interprets its arguments.
>
> So I could, e.g., take the latest (2.3.1) YUI release and put it in,
> say, web-app/js/yui and then use <g:javascript library='yui' />?
>
> Lastly, is there any kind of selective loading, or does it just pull
> in
> every .js file in the specified directory? If it's the latter, then I
> gather I should prun down the complement of JavaScript source files
> there to those I'm actually using?
>

> Also, do you know what Sven meant in his reply to Mirko Weber:
>
> -==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==-
> On Tuesday 02 October 2007 10:15, Sven Haiges wrote:
>> On 10/2/07, Mirko Weber <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hallo all,
>>>
>>> Is grails supporting the whole yui-API from yahoo by default, or are
>>> there only some parts of the api? What version of the yahoo-api is
>>> integreted?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Mirko
>>

>> Hi Mirko,
>>
>> the grails AJAX tags provide convenient and abstract (e.g. library
>> independent) access to AJAX functionality. So the answer is: AJAX
>> only.
>>
>> (not other DHTML stuff you will also find in YUI).
>>
>> Cheers\
>> Sven
> -==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==-
>

>> Cheers
>

> Randall Schulz

Re: YUI Plug-In?

Randall R Schulz
Scott,

On Monday 19 November 2007 11:06, Scott Davis wrote:

> I've been using the YUI on my last couple of Grails gigs. It has
> become my Ajax framework of choice. However, the way I've been using
> it requires you to understand the Ajax library itself -- I'm using
> none of the Grails niceties because as you discovered the version of
> the YUI included with Grails is not only severely out of date, but
> more importantly doesn't match the idiomatic usage as described by
> the YUI docs.
>
> BTW, the YUI is quite extensively documented. Have you had a look at
> them yourself? <http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/>

Yes, I started in on it yesterday. YUI is considered well documented and
supported, which is a big plus for me. That's why I'm leaning toward
it.

> I've been doing a presentation all year on the NFJS tour that details
using the YUI with Grails. (Slides:
> <http://www.davisworld.org/presentations/yui.pdf>) These two might
> help you over the hump.

Thanks. I've got that now and I'll look it over. When's the next time
you folks (NFJS) going to be doing Grails or YUI seminars in the Bay
Area?

> In the meantime, I wouldn't look to Grails integration support for
> the YUI. I'm as excited as the next person to see what the YUI plugin
> will bring to the party, but in its absence I haven't had a single
> problem using it as Yahoo! describes.

OK. That's good. I'm even newer to AJAX than I am to Grails, and the app
I'm building isn't well specified (as far as its Web UI is concerned),
so I've got issues in every direction (design, library / framework
selection and learning, implementation, etc.)

> Here is an example of using the Calendar YUI widget. Your email
> client may or may not munge the output, so in essence here is what I
> do.

Thanks. I'll look that over. (In the future, if you're worried about
text getting munged, you might want to simply make it an attachment.
This list allows them and they generally remain unscathed.)

> Hopefully, this helps clarify Sven's reply to another email. The YUI
> is broken up into discrete libraries that you need to include as
> needed.

Yes, that much I've discovered. And they have readable, -debug and -min
(minimized blobs for faster downloading) forms of each component. And
something called the YUI Compressor that, I gather, creates minimal (or
minimized) subsets for a particular application.

> This is like importing only the Java libraries you need at
> the top of your source file. You would no more import every library
> in the JDK in every class than you would import every YUI library in
> every GSP file. With Java, you might not pay the price for your
> eagerness, but with Ajax development you would suffer greatly (and
> deservedly... grin). Every Ajax library needs to be downloaded to the
> client before it can execute. Therefore, you want to limit the number
> and size of all JS and CSS downloads.

Yeah, that much I understand.

> I encourage you to check out the YSlow plugin for Firebug
> (<http://developer.yahoo.com/yslow/>), read the accompanying O'Reilly
> book written by Steve Souders, the chief performance Yahoo (High
> Performance Web Sites), ...

I use Firebug, but I didn't know it had a plug-in mechanism of its own.

> ... and look at using a JS minifier like the YUI Compressor
> (implemented in Java, BTW
> --- <http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/compressor/> ) to give you the
> best possible experience integrating YUI with Grails. None of these
> will likely be provided by the YUI plugin when it ships, but these
> are the things you should be doing as an Ajax professional.

Pro... fes... sional. I'll have to look that up.

> HTH,

It does. Thank you!

> Scott Davis
> [hidden email]

Randall Schulz

Re: YUI Plug-In?

Michael Kimsal

> Hopefully, this helps clarify Sven's reply to another email. The YUI
> is broken up into discrete libraries that you need to include as
> needed.

Yes, that much I've discovered. And they have readable, -debug and -min
(minimized blobs for faster downloading) forms of each component. And
something called the YUI Compressor that, I gather, creates minimal (or
minimized) subsets for a particular application.

The other nice thing about the YUI library is that they host compressed versions.
Following their documentation and examples, you can cut/paste immediately
and having working demos without having to download and install the entire
library to your server.  The hosting is not just provided, but to some
extent encouraged from what I gather.  If someone comes to your site with the
YUI libraries already loaded from their visit to another site, they'll be loaded for
your visitor already, saving the redownloading expense.

Michael Kimsal
http://webdevradio.com

Non-DB Grails back-end, such as XML???

jens.riboe
Has anybody looked into or has any pointers to using a different and
much simpler persistence engine than Hibernate and a database?
I have a requirement of a back-end as XML (or similar text) with mostly
reads (very, very few updates). Before I design something
(shrink-wrapped) myself, I would like to ask the list for ideas and
pointers in this direction.

Thanks /jens

Re: Non-DB Grails back-end, such as XML???

Jon Gunnip
We use an eXist XML database (http://exist-db.org).  We don't use it
for persisting domain objects.  We have an XmlService through which
our controllers can store, retrieve, and update documents using the
Java XMLDB API (http://exist-db.org/devguide.html#N103D1).

Jon

On Nov 19, 2007 12:53 PM, Jens Riboe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Has anybody looked into or has any pointers to using a different and
> much simpler persistence engine than Hibernate and a database?
> I have a requirement of a back-end as XML (or similar text) with mostly
> reads (very, very few updates). Before I design something
> (shrink-wrapped) myself, I would like to ask the list for ideas and
> pointers in this direction.
>
> Thanks /jens

Re: YUI Plug-In?

Andreas Schmitt
I'm developing a user interface plugin, which is largely based on YUI and offers the following components:
- date chooser using a yui popup calendar
- autocomplete textfield
- treeview which renders given xml data
- tabview
- smile timeline
- google maps with multiple markers, driving directions and search function
- tooltip
- star rating component
- perhaps an iGoogle like drag & drop component

The plugin is nearly finished, but I don't have time to write documentation at the moment. I'll plan to
release it end of december.

Andreas

2007/11/19, Michael Kimsal <[hidden email]>:

> Hopefully, this helps clarify Sven's reply to another email. The YUI
> is broken up into discrete libraries that you need to include as
> needed.

Yes, that much I've discovered. And they have readable, -debug and -min
(minimized blobs for faster downloading) forms of each component. And
something called the YUI Compressor that, I gather, creates minimal (or
minimized) subsets for a particular application.

The other nice thing about the YUI library is that they host compressed versions.
Following their documentation and examples, you can cut/paste immediately
and having working demos without having to download and install the entire
library to your server.  The hosting is not just provided, but to some
extent encouraged from what I gather.  If someone comes to your site with the
YUI libraries already loaded from their visit to another site, they'll be loaded for
your visitor already, saving the redownloading expense.

--
Michael Kimsal

Re: YUI Plug-In?

Guillaume Laforge-2
This sounds cool :-)

--
Guillaume Laforge
Groovy Project Manager

Re: YUI Plug-In?

Dave Cramer-6
Awesome, what can we do to help ?

Dave
On 19-Nov-07, at 4:05 PM, Andreas Schmitt wrote:

I'm developing a user interface plugin, which is largely based on YUI and offers the following components:
- date chooser using a yui popup calendar
- autocomplete textfield
- treeview which renders given xml data
- tabview
- smile timeline
- google maps with multiple markers, driving directions and search function
- tooltip
- star rating component
- perhaps an iGoogle like drag & drop component

The plugin is nearly finished, but I don't have time to write documentation at the moment. I'll plan to
release it end of december.

Andreas

2007/11/19, Michael Kimsal <[hidden email]>:

> Hopefully, this helps clarify Sven's reply to another email. The YUI
> is broken up into discrete libraries that you need to include as
> needed.

Yes, that much I've discovered. And they have readable, -debug and -min
(minimized blobs for faster downloading) forms of each component. And
something called the YUI Compressor that, I gather, creates minimal (or
minimized) subsets for a particular application.

The other nice thing about the YUI library is that they host compressed versions.
Following their documentation and examples, you can cut/paste immediately
and having working demos without having to download and install the entire
library to your server.  The hosting is not just provided, but to some
extent encouraged from what I gather.  If someone comes to your site with the
YUI libraries already loaded from their visit to another site, they'll be loaded for
your visitor already, saving the redownloading expense.

--
Michael Kimsal

Re: YUI Plug-In?

Andreas Schmitt
As I said, development is mostly done, I just need some time to do polishing and documentation.

Andreas

2007/11/20, Dave Cramer <[hidden email]>:
Awesome, what can we do to help ?

Dave

On 19-Nov-07, at 4:05 PM, Andreas Schmitt wrote:

I'm developing a user interface plugin, which is largely based on YUI and offers the following components:
- date chooser using a yui popup calendar
- autocomplete textfield
- treeview which renders given xml data
- tabview
- smile timeline
- google maps with multiple markers, driving directions and search function
- tooltip
- star rating component
- perhaps an iGoogle like drag & drop component

The plugin is nearly finished, but I don't have time to write documentation at the moment. I'll plan to
release it end of december.

Andreas

2007/11/19, Michael Kimsal <[hidden email]>:

> Hopefully, this helps clarify Sven's reply to another email. The YUI
> is broken up into discrete libraries that you need to include as
> needed.

Yes, that much I've discovered. And they have readable, -debug and -min
(minimized blobs for faster downloading) forms of each component. And
something called the YUI Compressor that, I gather, creates minimal (or
minimized) subsets for a particular application.

The other nice thing about the YUI library is that they host compressed versions.
Following their documentation and examples, you can cut/paste immediately
and having working demos without having to download and install the entire
library to your server.  The hosting is not just provided, but to some
extent encouraged from what I gather.  If someone comes to your site with the
YUI libraries already loaded from their visit to another site, they'll be loaded for
your visitor already, saving the redownloading expense.

--
Michael Kimsal

Re: YUI Plug-In?

Ricardo J. Méndez
Hello Andreas,

How goes work on this plugin?  Any chance it'll be out earlier than the end of december?

http://ricardo.strangevistas.net/