Quantcast

debugging grails

Harm de Laat-2
Hi,

Sorry for this (maybe) naive question.
How do you guys debug a Grails application within Eclipse?
Do you attach to a remote VM? Or is there a simpler way to debug the Grails framework itself?
Can you give me some suggestions?

Regards,

Harm.

Re: debugging grails

graemer
On 13/03/06, Harm de Laat <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sorry for this (maybe) naive question.
> How do you guys debug a Grails application within Eclipse?
I tend to mainly use IntelliJ IDEA, but I have debugged grails in
Ecilpse using the Eclipse WebTools. Simply by creating an app and then
pointing the inbuilt tomcat server's context path to the "tmp/war"
directory of the app I want to debug.

You then just run the server in debug mode

> Do you attach to a remote VM? Or is there a simpler way to debug the Grails
> framework itself?
Not at the moment no.

Graeme

> Can you give me some suggestions?
>
> Regards,
>
> Harm.

Re: debugging grails

Steven Devijver
I think it makes sense to add a special target to the ant file that
starts Jetty in debug mode.

Steven

--
Steven Devijver
Senior Consultant

Co-author, "Expert Spring MVC and Web Flow"
(February 2006, with Seth Ladd, Darren Davison, and Colin Yates)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/159059584X

Interface21 NL B.V.
Donker Curtiusstraat 7-400c
1051JL Amsterdam
The Netherlands
Phone: +31 (0)20 486 47 63
Fax: +31 (0)20 475 08 28
Mail: [hidden email]
Skype: devijvers

Re: debugging grails

graemer
On 13/03/06, Steven Devijver <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I think it makes sense to add a special target to the ant file that
> starts Jetty in debug mode.
Yes this is possible too to support remote debugging. Something else
on the todo list

Graeme

> Steven
>
> On 3/13/06, Harm de Laat <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Sorry for this (maybe) naive question.
> > How do you guys debug a Grails application within Eclipse?
> > Do you attach to a remote VM? Or is there a simpler way to debug the Grails
> > framework itself?
> > Can you give me some suggestions?
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Harm.
> >

> --
> Steven Devijver
> Senior Consultant
> Interface21
> Spring Services from the Source
> http://www.interface21.com
>
> Co-author, "Expert Spring MVC and Web Flow"
> (February 2006, with Seth Ladd, Darren Davison, and Colin Yates)
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/159059584X
>
> Interface21 NL B.V.
> Donker Curtiusstraat 7-400c
> 1051JL Amsterdam
> The Netherlands
> Phone: +31 (0)20 486 47 63
> Fax: +31 (0)20 475 08 28
> Mail: [hidden email]
> Skype: devijvers

Re: debugging grails

Harm de Laat-2

On 13/03/06, Harm de Laat <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sorry for this (maybe) naive question.
> How do you guys debug a Grails application within Eclipse?
I tend to mainly use IntelliJ IDEA, but I have debugged grails in
Ecilpse using the Eclipse WebTools. Simply by creating an app and then
pointing the inbuilt tomcat server's context path to the "tmp/war"
directory of the app I want to debug.

Okay, how exactly do you do this?
I checked out grails from CVS into my Workspace.
In my workspace I created an (grails) application using the command line.

I cannot find the tmp/war directory you are talking about....

Any suggestions?

Re: debugging grails

graemer
On 13/03/06, Harm de Laat <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 3/13/06, Graeme Rocher <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On 13/03/06, Harm de Laat <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Sorry for this (maybe) naive question.
> > > How do you guys debug a Grails application within Eclipse?
> > I tend to mainly use IntelliJ IDEA, but I have debugged grails in
> > Ecilpse using the Eclipse WebTools. Simply by creating an app and then
> > pointing the inbuilt tomcat server's context path to the "tmp/war"
> > directory of the app I want to debug.
>
> Okay, how exactly do you do this?
> I checked out grails from CVS into my Workspace.
> In my workspace I created an (grails) application using the command line.
>
> I cannot find the tmp/war directory you are talking about....
>
> Any suggestions?
You need to package the application first by typing "grails dev
package" this will create the tmp dir. Sorry there aren't many docs on
this at the moment!