elasticsearch plugin - Is local model ok for a single node app? Any advice?

elasticsearch plugin - Is local model ok for a single node app? Any advice?

micke_
Hi

I have a Grails app running on a small EC2 instance.

I need to provide some new functionality with cross domain searching and want to use the elasticsearch plugin.
Don't want to run a separate node and don't have a huge amount of data.

Before I do I thought I'd ask the list to make sure this is an alright approach and see if there are any tips and gotcha's with running elastic search in local mode on EC2.
Curious about things like memory usage (does elastic search run inside the JVM?), behaviour when bouncing app, performance compared to multiple DB queries, etc.

Found this thread which was interesting http://grails.1312388.n4.nabble.com/Elasticsearch-EC2-td4642293.html and gave me some hints about EC2 specific setup which may be needed.

Cheers,
 micke

Re: elasticsearch plugin - Is local model ok for a single node app? Any advice?

Konstantyn Smirnov
I'd rather use Lucene directly in "embedded" mode. This is what I do in several of my projects.

Given the same setup: single ec2-micro and not too much data in the index (up to 1 GB should give good performance even on a bad hardware), this would be the best choice.

1st of all, you don't have to configure ec2-sec-groups :)

2nd (which is the me case for me), using Lucene API directly gives you way more power than using any wrappers