grails 3 - dynamic scaffolding?

12

grails 3 - dynamic scaffolding?

zyro
hi,

just tried to create a scaffolding controller (static scaffold = true)
with grails 3 but that gives me a 404, e.g. on /controllerName/index.

just wanted to make sure that dynamic scaffolding is supposed to work as
we are used to from previous version (including partially "implemented"
controllers)?

thanks, zyro

Re: grails 3 - dynamic scaffolding?

Graeme Rocher-2
We have not as of yet implemented this, and it probably won't make the
cut for 3.0 GA

However, you can get largely the same behaviour with a domain that has:

@Resource
class Book {
    String title
}

And then just running 'generate-views'

The only difference is you have to regenerate the views on each change.

Dynamic scaffolding was one of the biggest contributors to startup
time slowness so in its current form it won't go into 3.0

Cheers

On Fri, Mar 6, 2015 at 1:15 PM, zyro <[hidden email]> wrote:

> hi,
>
> just tried to create a scaffolding controller (static scaffold = true) with
> grails 3 but that gives me a 404, e.g. on /controllerName/index.
>
> just wanted to make sure that dynamic scaffolding is supposed to work as we
> are used to from previous version (including partially "implemented"
> controllers)?
>
> thanks, zyro

Re: grails 3 - dynamic scaffolding?

sbglasius
Not having the option of dynamic scaffolding is really bad for several reasons:

1) Newcomers to the framework will read books and tutorials and will have no clue why it's not working. Their conclusion will be: I'll move to the next framework and try that
2) Prototyping is really fast with scaffolding and greatly outweighs the negative startup time
3) Impressing people when writing a demo is also going away, and this is one of the whoas you get: Is it really that easy? Well right now, not any more

So please help us being able to impress and help newcomers by having dynamic scaffolding available, even if it's just optional, or make so that it will be easy to turn off, if startup time is essential.

Best regards,
Søren Berg Glasius

Re: grails 3 - dynamic scaffolding?

Göran Ehrsson-2
Dynamic scaffolding as we saw it in Grails 1.x and 2.x was way to limited for my use-cases and if it increased startup time then I'm happy that it was removed in Grails 3.0. I't may have worked well for live demos and very simple "static" applications but in my experience it was to inflexible for serious use.

The major problem I had with dynamic scaffolding was that is was not possible (from my research) to have different templates based on certain rules. For example one set of templates for a specific set of domain packages (regex). Or one set of templates for domains that was instanceof some class.

In the GR8 CRM plugins that I authored dynamic scaffolding would be a perfect fit, especially for all metadata/lookup entities. But it was not possible to get all the functionality I needed so I generated views instead. And I'm not happy with that solution.

If we rethink dynamic scaffolding and make it much more flexible and if it does not hurt startup time then I would be very happy to have it back in Grails 3.x.

Some features I like to see:

  • Give the developer control of what templates to use for dynamic scaffolding. The framework should not even care if the template is a GSP template in the file system or retrieved from a CMS, or anything else.
  • Let plugins take part in template generation and decoration. That way we can have "theme plugins" or plugins that inject new features into scaffolding templates
  • Don't increase startup time!

Regards,

/Göran Ehrsson

Den fredag 6 mars 2015 kl. 13:15:51 UTC+1 skrev zyro:
hi,

just tried to create a scaffolding controller (static scaffold = true)
with grails 3 but that gives me a 404, e.g. on /controllerName/index.

just wanted to make sure that dynamic scaffolding is supposed to work as
we are used to from previous version (including partially "implemented"
controllers)?

thanks, zyro

Re: grails 3 - dynamic scaffolding?

Jeff Scott Brown

> On Apr 3, 2015, at 5:37 AM, Göran Ehrsson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Dynamic scaffolding as we saw it in Grails 1.x and 2.x was way to limited for my use-cases and if it increased startup time then I'm happy that it was removed in Grails 3.0. I't may have worked well for live demos and very simple "static" applications but in my experience it was to inflexible for serious use.

Dynamic scaffolding is really helpful for only a really small number of apps out there.  It demos well and is useful for very simple tasks, but for the great majority of applications it isn’t a particularly important piece of the framework.

The @Resource annotation added to a domain class will satisfy a lot of the use cases where dynamic scaffolding used to be used.  This is simpler and doesn’t require an additional source file (the controller).

For applications that still want to use scaffolding for some reason, you can generate-all and go about your business that way.  It isn’t dynamic but @Resource covers most of the scenarios where dynamic is desired.

If there really are important use cases that aren’t covered well by @Resource and/or generate-all and there is a justifiable demand then a plugin could be developed to provide the old dynamic scaffolding.  I personally do not think that would be particularly valuable.

JSB

--
Jeff Scott Brown
[hidden email]

Autism Strikes 1 in 166
Find The Cause ~ Find The Cure
http://www.autismspeaks.org/

Re: grails 3 - dynamic scaffolding?

Lucas Frare Teixeira

+1

Em sex, 3 de abr de 2015 13:36, Jeff Scott Brown <[hidden email]> escreveu:

> On Apr 3, 2015, at 5:37 AM, Göran Ehrsson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Dynamic scaffolding as we saw it in Grails 1.x and 2.x was way to limited for my use-cases and if it increased startup time then I'm happy that it was removed in Grails 3.0. I't may have worked well for live demos and very simple "static" applications but in my experience it was to inflexible for serious use.

Dynamic scaffolding is really helpful for only a really small number of apps out there.  It demos well and is useful for very simple tasks, but for the great majority of applications it isn’t a particularly important piece of the framework.

The @Resource annotation added to a domain class will satisfy a lot of the use cases where dynamic scaffolding used to be used.  This is simpler and doesn’t require an additional source file (the controller).

For applications that still want to use scaffolding for some reason, you can generate-all and go about your business that way.  It isn’t dynamic but @Resource covers most of the scenarios where dynamic is desired.

If there really are important use cases that aren’t covered well by @Resource and/or generate-all and there is a justifiable demand then a plugin could be developed to provide the old dynamic scaffolding.  I personally do not think that would be particularly valuable.

JSB

--
Jeff Scott Brown
[hidden email]

Autism Strikes 1 in 166
Find The Cause ~ Find The Cure
http://www.autismspeaks.org/

Re: grails 3 - dynamic scaffolding?

Kenneth Kousen
I'm sorry, but I strongly disagree with this. You've thrown away a fundamental part of Grails history and made the framework far less appealing to newcomers.

I teach software development training classes for a living, with an emphasis on Groovy and Grails. Every time I teach it I point out:

1. The dynamic scaffolding is there do allow you to experiment with your domain model without having to worry about controllers and views, and

2. The word "scaffolding" should be taken literally, in that it shouldn't survive into production code.

That's why when I teach Grails we always start with simple controllers and views, without domain classes, so everyone can see how Grails thinks. Then, when it's time to discuss domain classes, we use the dynamic scaffolding in order to understand the persistence model and how constraints are enforced. Once the domain model has settled down, we switch to either static scaffolding, or remove the views entirely and write our own.

The productivity gain you get from the dynamic scaffolding, however, is significant. You can write one line of code, and then you can edit the domain model to your heart's content without worrying about the views and controllers. It's all so easy, and it's a great selling point for the framework.

What about the proposed solutions Jeff suggests?

- Just use generate-all and go from there.

That means that every time you change the domain model you'll have to regenerate everything. At the very least, you'll have to continually say "yes" every time an IDE asks whether it's okay to overwrite an existing file. Why add that kind of friction to the development process, when you're trying to get something up and running as quickly as possible?

(It may be true that the "fields" plugin may make that easier, but that's not installed by default and still changes the basic approach.)

- The @Resource annotation does most everything you need, so use that instead.

Unless it's changed dramatically in Grails 3.0 (I haven't checked that yet), the @Resource annotation simply receives and returns JSON or XML data based on URL requests. While that's a seriously cool capability, it isn't the same thing at all. You still have to write your own views, even to try it out. All the existing demos use curl or some other command line tool to show how it works. While that's great if all you care about is RESTful web services, it lacks the visual expressiveness of the web.

Jeff also says that the dynamic scaffolding is applicable to only a small number of simple use cases. Again, I would submit that that misses the point. I'm certainly not advocating you use dynamic scaffolding in production (unless you're building an admin interface to a set of db tables). It's a tool, designed to help the developer understand their domain model and how adding and removing constraints and relationships affects the overall application.  It's a way to get started, not a way to finish.

It's also the first thing a newcomer sees when they learn about Grails. Every single tutorial, book*, or even blog post that introduces Grails to a new audience starts with dynamic scaffolding. Heck, it's practically the first thing demonstrated in Agile Development with Rails, for many of the same reasons. It's been in Grails since the beginning, and now it's gone.

*Okay, Definitive Guide to Grails 2 waits until Chapter 2 to use it, but it's there as soon as Grails moves beyond a single, trivial controller

By eliminating dynamic scaffolding, you've also made it so any person who reads one of those tutorials or books and tries to use Grails 3.0 will now fail, and they won't know why.

Why was this done? The reason given is that dynamic scaffolding makes the start up time take longer. Fine. Just say that**. Tell everybody that using the dynamic scaffolding can lead to performance issues, so you should switch to something else as soon as possible. Maybe, when I'm in development mode, I don't care about performance.

**Especially in the the "Changes in Grails 3.0" section of the User Guide. The lack of dynamic scaffolding isn't mentioned anywhere in the User Guide, which still actually advocates using it. That's fixable, but not enough. This is such a fundamental change that it ought to be right up front, in bold letters.

Look, I don't want to come across as difficult or hostile. I greatly admire the Grails team (including Jeff :), and I love what you've done. As much as anything, a large part of my job acts as a developer advocate for both Groovy and Grails, and I'm very happy to do that.

The problem, IMHO, is that the dev team is composed of experts. They know the limitations of dynamic scaffolding and how to work without it. But that's not normal -- most people coming to Grails aren't going to know what to do, and while the static scaffolding does the trick, it's a lot of code they're potentially going to get lost in before they're ready. The last thing we want to do right now is to make it harder for a newcomer to adopt Grails.

Please restore the dynamic scaffolding capability, with whatever warnings or caveats you think are appropriate.

Ken Kousen

On Friday, April 3, 2015 at 12:36:05 PM UTC-4, Jeff Scott Brown wrote:

> On Apr 3, 2015, at 5:37 AM, Göran Ehrsson <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="B1vUu97QDOAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href='javascript:';return true;" onclick="this.href='javascript:';return true;">gehr...@...> wrote:
>
> Dynamic scaffolding as we saw it in Grails 1.x and 2.x was way to limited for my use-cases and if it increased startup time then I'm happy that it was removed in Grails 3.0. I't may have worked well for live demos and very simple "static" applications but in my experience it was to inflexible for serious use.

Dynamic scaffolding is really helpful for only a really small number of apps out there.  It demos well and is useful for very simple tasks, but for the great majority of applications it isn’t a particularly important piece of the framework.

The @Resource annotation added to a domain class will satisfy a lot of the use cases where dynamic scaffolding used to be used.  This is simpler and doesn’t require an additional source file (the controller).

For applications that still want to use scaffolding for some reason, you can generate-all and go about your business that way.  It isn’t dynamic but @Resource covers most of the scenarios where dynamic is desired.

If there really are important use cases that aren’t covered well by @Resource and/or generate-all and there is a justifiable demand then a plugin could be developed to provide the old dynamic scaffolding.  I personally do not think that would be particularly valuable.

JSB

--
Jeff Scott Brown

Autism Strikes 1 in 166
Find The Cause ~ Find The Cure

Re: grails 3 - dynamic scaffolding?

Jeff Scott Brown

> On Apr 3, 2015, at 3:51 PM, Kenneth Kousen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Please restore the dynamic scaffolding capability, with whatever warnings or caveats you think are appropriate.

That is a reasonable request and we can consider it of course.  I think that this represents very low value (more value to teachers and speakers than to application developers) but if it turns out that a lot of folks want the feature then we will look at a solution.  That solution might be a plugin so it doesn’t have any impact on the great majority of apps that don’t use it, or maybe it will end up back in core if there is some reason that a plugin complicates things unnecessarily.

We welcome everyone’s feedback so if you have an opinion to express on the matter, please do.

JSB

--
Jeff Scott Brown
[hidden email]

Autism Strikes 1 in 166
Find The Cause ~ Find The Cure
http://www.autismspeaks.org/

Re: grails 3 - dynamic scaffolding?

Henrique Lobo Weissmann
It should have a mention on the "Upgrading from Grails 2.x" section of the documentation: http://grails.github.io/grails-doc/latest/guide/upgrading.html

This absence will hurt the image of the framework with anyone which uses dynamic scaffolding on their projects and are wanting to migrate for this new version.

On Sat, Apr 4, 2015 at 11:11 AM, Jeff Scott Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Apr 3, 2015, at 3:51 PM, Kenneth Kousen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Please restore the dynamic scaffolding capability, with whatever warnings or caveats you think are appropriate.

That is a reasonable request and we can consider it of course.  I think that this represents very low value (more value to teachers and speakers than to application developers) but if it turns out that a lot of folks want the feature then we will look at a solution.  That solution might be a plugin so it doesn’t have any impact on the great majority of apps that don’t use it, or maybe it will end up back in core if there is some reason that a plugin complicates things unnecessarily.

We welcome everyone’s feedback so if you have an opinion to express on the matter, please do.

JSB

--
Jeff Scott Brown
[hidden email]

Autism Strikes 1 in 166
Find The Cause ~ Find The Cure
http://www.autismspeaks.org/

Henrique Lobo Weissmann (Kico)
(55) 31 9226-0459
http://devkico.itexto.com.br
http://www.twitter.com/loboweissmann

Re: grails 3 - dynamic scaffolding?

Jeff Scott Brown
I am going to investigate what it takes to reinstate the dynamic scaffold behavior and let the outcome of that factor into a decision for the at forward.

JSB

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 4, 2015, at 12:13 PM, Henrique Lobo Weissmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

It should have a mention on the "Upgrading from Grails 2.x" section of the documentation: http://grails.github.io/grails-doc/latest/guide/upgrading.html

This absence will hurt the image of the framework with anyone which uses dynamic scaffolding on their projects and are wanting to migrate for this new version.

On Sat, Apr 4, 2015 at 11:11 AM, Jeff Scott Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Apr 3, 2015, at 3:51 PM, Kenneth Kousen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Please restore the dynamic scaffolding capability, with whatever warnings or caveats you think are appropriate.

That is a reasonable request and we can consider it of course.  I think that this represents very low value (more value to teachers and speakers than to application developers) but if it turns out that a lot of folks want the feature then we will look at a solution.  That solution might be a plugin so it doesn’t have any impact on the great majority of apps that don’t use it, or maybe it will end up back in core if there is some reason that a plugin complicates things unnecessarily.

We welcome everyone’s feedback so if you have an opinion to express on the matter, please do.

JSB

--
Jeff Scott Brown
[hidden email]

Autism Strikes 1 in 166
Find The Cause ~ Find The Cure
http://www.autismspeaks.org/

Henrique Lobo Weissmann (Kico)
(55) 31 9226-0459
http://devkico.itexto.com.br
http://www.twitter.com/loboweissmann

Re: grails 3 - dynamic scaffolding?

Jeff Scott Brown
Phone typo... I meant "...for the way forward".

JSB

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 4, 2015, at 1:33 PM, Jeff Scott Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:

I am going to investigate what it takes to reinstate the dynamic scaffold behavior and let the outcome of that factor into a decision for the at forward.

JSB

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 4, 2015, at 12:13 PM, Henrique Lobo Weissmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

It should have a mention on the "Upgrading from Grails 2.x" section of the documentation: http://grails.github.io/grails-doc/latest/guide/upgrading.html

This absence will hurt the image of the framework with anyone which uses dynamic scaffolding on their projects and are wanting to migrate for this new version.

On Sat, Apr 4, 2015 at 11:11 AM, Jeff Scott Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Apr 3, 2015, at 3:51 PM, Kenneth Kousen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Please restore the dynamic scaffolding capability, with whatever warnings or caveats you think are appropriate.

That is a reasonable request and we can consider it of course.  I think that this represents very low value (more value to teachers and speakers than to application developers) but if it turns out that a lot of folks want the feature then we will look at a solution.  That solution might be a plugin so it doesn’t have any impact on the great majority of apps that don’t use it, or maybe it will end up back in core if there is some reason that a plugin complicates things unnecessarily.

We welcome everyone’s feedback so if you have an opinion to express on the matter, please do.

JSB

--
Jeff Scott Brown
[hidden email]

Autism Strikes 1 in 166
Find The Cause ~ Find The Cure
http://www.autismspeaks.org/

Henrique Lobo Weissmann (Kico)
(55) 31 9226-0459
http://devkico.itexto.com.br
http://www.twitter.com/loboweissmann

Re: grails 3 - dynamic scaffolding?

zyro
thanks jeff!

> [...]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/grails-dev-discuss/29B4391D-D0ED-4148-843F-3E1622DC9DF4%40jeffandbetsy.net
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/grails-dev-discuss/29B4391D-D0ED-4148-843F-3E1622DC9DF4%40jeffandbetsy.net?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Re: grails 3 - dynamic scaffolding?

Jeff Scott Brown

> On Apr 3, 2015, at 3:51 PM, Kenneth Kousen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> - Just use generate-all and go from there.
>
> That means that every time you change the domain model you'll have to regenerate everything. At the very least, you'll have to continually say "yes" every time an IDE asks whether it's okay to overwrite an existing file. Why add that kind of friction to the development process, when you're trying to get something up and running as quickly as possible?

I am trying to figure out for which scenarios that is true.  I think that is only true if the change you are making to your domain model is changing the name of the domain class, which is really just creating a new domain class.

Am I wrong about that?

JSB
--
Jeff Scott Brown
[hidden email]

Autism Strikes 1 in 166
Find The Cause ~ Find The Cure
http://www.autismspeaks.org/

Re: grails 3 - dynamic scaffolding?

Kenneth Kousen

I mean adding and removing attributes from domain classes, or trying out different constraints. Also, adding different relationships, with directionality and multiplicities.

Ken

On Apr 4, 2015 8:55 PM, "Jeff Scott Brown" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Apr 3, 2015, at 3:51 PM, Kenneth Kousen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> - Just use generate-all and go from there.
>
> That means that every time you change the domain model you'll have to regenerate everything. At the very least, you'll have to continually say "yes" every time an IDE asks whether it's okay to overwrite an existing file. Why add that kind of friction to the development process, when you're trying to get something up and running as quickly as possible?

I am trying to figure out for which scenarios that is true.  I think that is only true if the change you are making to your domain model is changing the name of the domain class, which is really just creating a new domain class.

Am I wrong about that?

JSB
--
Jeff Scott Brown
[hidden email]

Autism Strikes 1 in 166
Find The Cause ~ Find The Cure
http://www.autismspeaks.org/

Re: grails 3 - dynamic scaffolding?

Jeff Scott Brown

> On Apr 4, 2015, at 7:58 PM, Kenneth Kousen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I mean adding and removing attributes from domain classes, or trying out different constraints. Also, adding different relationships, with directionality and multiplicities.
>
> Ken

I don’t think any of those changes require regenerating the scaffolding.

Are you saying that reloading those changes doesn’t work, or are you thinking that the generated views need to be updated.  I don’t think the generated views need to be updated.

JSB

--
Jeff Scott Brown
[hidden email]

Autism Strikes 1 in 166
Find The Cause ~ Find The Cure
http://www.autismspeaks.org/

Re: grails 3 - dynamic scaffolding?

Kenneth Kousen

The generated views don't need to be regenerated? Even if you add attributes that hadn't been there before? Why not?

Ken

On Apr 4, 2015 9:09 PM, "Jeff Scott Brown" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Apr 4, 2015, at 7:58 PM, Kenneth Kousen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I mean adding and removing attributes from domain classes, or trying out different constraints. Also, adding different relationships, with directionality and multiplicities.
>
> Ken

I don’t think any of those changes require regenerating the scaffolding.

Are you saying that reloading those changes doesn’t work, or are you thinking that the generated views need to be updated.  I don’t think the generated views need to be updated.

JSB

--
Jeff Scott Brown
[hidden email]

Autism Strikes 1 in 166
Find The Cause ~ Find The Cure
http://www.autismspeaks.org/

Re: grails 3 - dynamic scaffolding?

Jeff Scott Brown

> On Apr 4, 2015, at 8:14 PM, Kenneth Kousen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> The generated views don't need to be regenerated? Even if you add attributes that hadn't been there before? Why not?
>
> Ken

Because the generated scaffolding doesn’t make any reference to property names.

JSB

--
Jeff Scott Brown
[hidden email]

Autism Strikes 1 in 166
Find The Cause ~ Find The Cure
http://www.autismspeaks.org/

Re: grails 3 - dynamic scaffolding?

Kenneth Kousen

But the form fields and tables use them, and the type of form field is dependent on the new attribute.