grails - drupal

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

grails - drupal

brw314
Hi Monks of the Holy Grails,

I've got a challege for you. Ever hear of "Drupal", a rapidly growing
CMS used widely for small - medium social websites, 1000's of donated
add-on's and integrations into virtually everything. Ever try using it
for anything? Got 6 months to learn it? Scattered cryptic or no
documentation, incompatible versions, and an interface that will bring a
lisp programmer to his knee's. Who am I to bad mouth this difficult but
massively useful open source behemoth.

Is it put a Grails wrapper around such a thing, so programmers like us
could tap into it with some simple classes?

Brian Wolf
gOgO development ltd.
sedona, az


 

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

    http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: grails - drupal

tomas lin
Have you looked into the PHP plugin at all?

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 6:41 PM, brian <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Monks of the Holy Grails,
>
> I've got a challege for you. Ever hear of "Drupal", a rapidly growing CMS
> used widely for small - medium social websites, 1000's of donated add-on's
> and integrations into virtually everything. Ever try using it for anything?
> Got 6 months to learn it? Scattered cryptic or no documentation,
> incompatible versions, and an interface that will bring a lisp programmer to
> his knee's. Who am I to bad mouth this difficult but massively useful open
> source behemoth.
> Is it put a Grails wrapper around such a thing, so programmers like us could
> tap into it with some simple classes?
>
> Brian Wolf
> gOgO development ltd.
> sedona, az
>
>
>
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:
>
>   http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email
>
>
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

    http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: grails - drupal

brw314

I took a look at, they at the Grails PHP they have a Wordpress example,
(they also mention Drupal ) shown there where they simply call
Wordpress  like a Remote Procedure Call.
however simply running  the php code from grails isn't enough, in
addition  a class library for configuring  the php application.

like some basic classes:

Class Drupal_Blog extends Basic Drupal Data Type
Class Drupal_Image .....
Class Drupal_LayoutManager ..

Class Drupal _Page
{
new Drupal_Blog ......
 new Drupal_Image
}

Class Website
{
[new Drupal _Page ..]
new  Drupal_LayoutManager

}

etc

would save people a lot of misery from learning the current interface
which is not intuitive at all.
It is similar perhaps to  using Java JDBC rather  than database commands
on a database, and also use, I'm assuming how you would configure the
drupal database, (or Hibernate??) I'm sure its available, but I have not
found a description of the Drupal database and what controls what (at
least on the web).


Brian

Tomas Lin wrote:ry

> Have you looked into the PHP plugin at all?
>
> On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 6:41 PM, brian <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  
>> Hi Monks of the Holy Grails,
>>
>> I've got a challege for you. Ever hear of "Drupal", a rapidly growing CMS
>> used widely for small - medium social websites, 1000's of donated add-on's
>> and integrations into virtually everything. Ever try using it for anything?
>> Got 6 months to learn it? Scattered cryptic or no documentation,
>> incompatible versions, and an interface that will bring a lisp programmer to
>> his knee's. Who am I to bad mouth this difficult but massively useful open
>> source behemoth.
>> Is it put a Grails wrapper around such a thing, so programmers like us could
>> tap into it with some simple classes?
>>
>> Brian Wolf
>> gOgO development ltd.
>> sedona, az
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>> To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:
>>
>>   http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email
>>
>>
>>
>>    
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:
>
>     http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email
>
>
>  


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

    http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: grails - drupal

John Fletcher-3
Personally I don't think it's worth it. Many more people are comfortable with PHP than Grails, so your wrapper layer won't serve many. People that prefer Grails should try out Weceem, the Grails CMS which is in basic stages but has a good deal of momentum.

But if you go ahead, good luck.

John

2009/11/24 brian <[hidden email]>

I took a look at, they at the Grails PHP they have a Wordpress example, (they also mention Drupal ) shown there where they simply call Wordpress  like a Remote Procedure Call.
however simply running  the php code from grails isn't enough, in addition  a class library for configuring  the php application.

like some basic classes:

Class Drupal_Blog extends Basic Drupal Data Type
Class Drupal_Image .....
Class Drupal_LayoutManager ..

Class Drupal _Page
{
new Drupal_Blog ......
new Drupal_Image
}

Class Website
{
[new Drupal _Page ..]
new  Drupal_LayoutManager

}

etc

would save people a lot of misery from learning the current interface which is not intuitive at all.
It is similar perhaps to  using Java JDBC rather  than database commands on a database, and also use, I'm assuming how you would configure the drupal database, (or Hibernate??) I'm sure its available, but I have not found a description of the Drupal database and what controls what (at least on the web).


Brian

Tomas Lin wrote:ry

Have you looked into the PHP plugin at all?

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 6:41 PM, brian <[hidden email]> wrote:
 
Hi Monks of the Holy Grails,

I've got a challege for you. Ever hear of "Drupal", a rapidly growing CMS
used widely for small - medium social websites, 1000's of donated add-on's
and integrations into virtually everything. Ever try using it for anything?
Got 6 months to learn it? Scattered cryptic or no documentation,
incompatible versions, and an interface that will bring a lisp programmer to
his knee's. Who am I to bad mouth this difficult but massively useful open
source behemoth.
Is it put a Grails wrapper around such a thing, so programmers like us could
tap into it with some simple classes?

Brian Wolf
gOgO development ltd.
sedona, az




---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

 http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email



   

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

   http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email


 


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

  http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: grails - drupal

brw314
But the ordinary user doesn't interface with Drupal through PHP, and in
fact nobody does, (except for  developers of course ) instead through
configuration settings using  a vast set of disjoint, counter-intuitive
what are basically  checkboxes. Would you rather use check boxes or a
language to create a program? Maybe its a bad analogy, but what if in
our  conversation here we had to select select check boxes , do you mean
this - yes,do you mean that - no, ...


John Fletcher :

> Personally I don't think it's worth it. Many more people are
> comfortable with PHP than Grails, so your wrapper layer won't serve
> many. People that prefer Grails should try out Weceem, the Grails CMS
> which is in basic stages but has a good deal of momentum.
>
> But if you go ahead, good luck.
>
> John
>
> 2009/11/24 brian <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>
>
>     I took a look at, they at the Grails PHP they have a Wordpress
>     example, (they also mention Drupal ) shown there where they simply
>     call Wordpress  like a Remote Procedure Call.
>     however simply running  the php code from grails isn't enough, in
>     addition  a class library for configuring  the php application.
>
>     like some basic classes:
>
>     Class Drupal_Blog extends Basic Drupal Data Type
>     Class Drupal_Image .....
>     Class Drupal_LayoutManager ..
>
>     Class Drupal _Page
>     {
>     new Drupal_Blog ......
>     new Drupal_Image
>     }
>
>     Class Website
>     {
>     [new Drupal _Page ..]
>     new  Drupal_LayoutManager
>
>     }
>
>     etc
>
>     would save people a lot of misery from learning the current
>     interface which is not intuitive at all.
>     It is similar perhaps to  using Java JDBC rather  than database
>     commands on a database, and also use, I'm assuming how you would
>     configure the drupal database, (or Hibernate??) I'm sure its
>     available, but I have not found a description of the Drupal
>     database and what controls what (at least on the web).
>
>
>     Brian
>
>     Tomas Lin wrote:ry
>
>         Have you looked into the PHP plugin at all?
>
>         On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 6:41 PM, brian <[hidden email]
>         <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>          
>
>             Hi Monks of the Holy Grails,
>
>             I've got a challege for you. Ever hear of "Drupal", a
>             rapidly growing CMS
>             used widely for small - medium social websites, 1000's of
>             donated add-on's
>             and integrations into virtually everything. Ever try using
>             it for anything?
>             Got 6 months to learn it? Scattered cryptic or no
>             documentation,
>             incompatible versions, and an interface that will bring a
>             lisp programmer to
>             his knee's. Who am I to bad mouth this difficult but
>             massively useful open
>             source behemoth.
>             Is it put a Grails wrapper around such a thing, so
>             programmers like us could
>             tap into it with some simple classes?
>
>             Brian Wolf
>             gOgO development ltd.
>             sedona, az
>
>
>
>
>             ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>             To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:
>
>              http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email
>
>
>
>                
>
>
>         ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>         To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:
>
>            http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email
>
>
>          
>
>
>
>     ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>     To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:
>
>       http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email
>
>
>


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

    http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: grails - drupal

Adam Evans
In reply to this post by brw314
Drupal superstar here so to speak (finaly after 2 years on Drupal back on to Java and Grails, a happy bunny again) .

Drupal, it's not grails, it's not even a elegen php framework such as Symphony but it has it's place and does what it does reasonably well, it is by far the best PHP CMS system out their. You have to change your way of thinking when using it, it's as far away from Grails / Java frameworks as you can get.

Check out the Pro Drupal Development 2nd Edition book, it'll guide you through the API and doing more than point and click. Drupal fires hooks which allow you to overide functionality, go to api.drupal.org and do a search for "hook_"  to see what endpoints are on offer. Although it's not particularly nice code to work with the hook system works quite well. What ever you do don't trying and start writing controller classes and following MVCII patterns in Drupal, it goes wrong, a nightmare and turns into a miss mash of code (speaking from experince on a past inherited project).

Writing a wrapper for Drupal in grails would be a nightmare with the constant changes and 3rd party modules.....however, look at http://drupal.org/project/Services . Got anything particularly complex todo, write it in grails as a web service and invoke it from Drupal. Batch operations, XML processing, PHP sucks, just pass the data needed into Grails to do the job :)

Might aswell plug my blog post to which should give some basic advices on getting started from a devs point of view http://www.ctisn.com/blogs/adam-evans/drupal-tips-best-practices-and-gotchas 


brianwolf wrote
Hi Monks of the Holy Grails,

I've got a challege for you. Ever hear of "Drupal", a rapidly growing
CMS used widely for small - medium social websites, 1000's of donated
add-on's and integrations into virtually everything. Ever try using it
for anything? Got 6 months to learn it? Scattered cryptic or no
documentation, incompatible versions, and an interface that will bring a
lisp programmer to his knee's. Who am I to bad mouth this difficult but
massively useful open source behemoth.

Is it put a Grails wrapper around such a thing, so programmers like us
could tap into it with some simple classes?

Brian Wolf
gOgO development ltd.
sedona, az


 

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

    http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email