grails in portlets?

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

grails in portlets?

Atherton, Reid J.
Hello!

I'm interested in using Grails to develop (JSR168, actually on
WebSphere) portlets.  Since I didn't see anything on the website or
mailing list archives addressing this particular topic, I have 2
questions:

1. Is running Grails inside a portlet supported right now?
2. If not, when?  Is there something I can do to help?

As far I can figure out, Grails is using Spring Web Flow PR5.  According
to the online changelog, Spring Web Flow Preview 4 "Temporarily dropped
Portlet support until it is included in Spring 1.3".  All right...it
appears that Spring 1.3 is not yet available, although the release
announcement for Spring 1.2.6 has a comment that CVS HEAD is now devoted
to 1.3 and nightly snapshots will have 1.3 features.  But then again, a
Grails CVS commit comment for spring.jar says "upgraded to spring 1.2.6,
may soon upgrade to 2.0".  Can anyone shed some light on this?

Reid
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: grails in portlets?

graemer
On 17/02/06, Atherton, Reid J. <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello!

Hi!

>
> I'm interested in using Grails to develop (JSR168, actually on
> WebSphere) portlets.  Since I didn't see anything on the website or
> mailing list archives addressing this particular topic, I have 2
> questions:
>
> 1. Is running Grails inside a portlet supported right now?

At the moment no, Portlets are only in Spring 2.0 (which probably
answers your question below) which we havn't upgraded to yet.

Also we have a custom implementation of DispatcherServlet which allows
us to support traditional servlets and to support porlets we would
need to provide a similar implementation that extends
DispatcherPortlet:

http://static.springframework.org/spring/docs/2.0-m2/api/org/springframework/web/portlet/DispatcherPortlet.html

At the moment you can either raise an issue at
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GRAILS and we will eventually get
round to it

or

contribute some code! ;-)


> 2. If not, when?  Is there something I can do to help?

After the first release depending on priorities. The first release is
schedules for March sometime and as I said feel free to contribute.

>
> As far I can figure out, Grails is using Spring Web Flow PR5.  According
> to the online changelog, Spring Web Flow Preview 4 "Temporarily dropped
> Portlet support until it is included in Spring 1.3".  All right...it
> appears that Spring 1.3 is not yet available, although the release
> announcement for Spring 1.2.6 has a comment that CVS HEAD is now devoted
> to 1.3 and nightly snapshots will have 1.3 features.  But then again, a
> Grails CVS commit comment for spring.jar says "upgraded to spring 1.2.6,
> may soon upgrade to 2.0".  Can anyone shed some light on this?
>
> Reid
>