grails.org website and Firefox on Linux

Stefan Armbruster
Hi,

anyone else experiencing system hangs when grails.org is loaded? It seems that
the CSS causes the CPU go to 100% while rendering the page. Even switching to
another app and back to FF causes high CPU load when grails.org is already
loaded. Using top I observed xorg and firefox processes are consuming CPU.
When switching off CSS ("no style" setting) it's fast. Using a different
browser (konqueror e.g.) grails.org renders also fast. Grails.org seems to be
the only website with this behaviour. Any other folks here having the same
trouble?

My system is:
* CoreDuo CPU, 4 GB RAM
* Ubuntu Hardy (Kernel 2.6.24-18-server)
* KDE
* Firefox 3 RC1 as available from archive.ubuntu.com, same thing happened with
FF 3 beta 5

Regards,
Stefan

Re: grails.org website and Firefox on Linux

olivier_f
Yes, I have this behaviour too.
In fact I'm back to firefox 2 as long as  firefox 3 is not "official".
I've had similar issues with other sites too.

2008/6/16 Stefan Armbruster <[hidden email]>:
[...]

Peter Ledbrook
> My system is:
> * CoreDuo CPU, 4 GB RAM
> * Ubuntu Hardy (Kernel 2.6.24-18-server)
> * KDE
> * Firefox 3 RC1 as available from archive.ubuntu.com, same thing happened with
> FF 3 beta 5

I'm finding this with FF and Opera on Ubuntu. I think I tracked down
which CSS file it was, but have now forgotten. However, it does
basically stop the browser from rendering for about 3-4s. Annoying I
know.

Cheers,

Peter

--
Software Engineer
G2One, Inc.

Re: grails.org website and Firefox on Linux

ramon lima
Hi there,

I use
- Ubuntu 7.10
- FF 2.0.0.3

Everything is 100% ok. Try to remove the plugins, they can overload your browser sometimes.

Best Regards,
Ramon

Binary packages encourage inconsistency and incompatibility, whearas source encourages unified development frameworks and integration
gentoo.org

Binary packages encourage inconsistency and incompatibility, whearas source encourages unified development frameworks and integration
gentoo.org

Re: grails.org website and Firefox on Linux

David Sells
This doesn't hang my system but it makes it slow down so much I close the tab grails is on once I get my information.  It is the only website that I have visited that does this.  I wonder if it can be fixed?  It detract from the excellent software it is intended to promote.
Regards,
David
Firefox 3.0
8.04 Hardy
GNOME 2.22.2

ramon lima wrote
So much for the download guiness record.. :)

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 11:23 AM, olivier FRESSE <olivier.fresse@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Yes, I have this behaviour too.
> In fact I'm back to firefox 2 as long as  firefox 3 is not "official".
> I've had similar issues with other sites too.
>
> 2008/6/16 Stefan Armbruster <ml001@armbruster-it.de>:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> anyone else experiencing system hangs when grails.org is loaded? It seems
>> that
>> the CSS causes the CPU go to 100% while rendering the page. Even switching
>> another app and back to FF causes high CPU load when grails.org is
>> already
>> loaded. Using top I observed xorg and firefox processes are consuming CPU.
>> When switching off CSS ("no style" setting) it's fast. Using a different
>> browser (konqueror e.g.) grails.org renders also fast. Grails.org seems
>> to be
>> the only website with this behaviour. Any other folks here having the same
>> trouble?
>>
>> My system is:
>> * CoreDuo CPU, 4 GB RAM
>> * Ubuntu Hardy (Kernel 2.6.24-18-server)
>> * KDE
>> * Firefox 3 RC1 as available from archive.ubuntu.com, same thing happened
>> with
>> FF 3 beta 5
>>
>> Regards,
>> Stefan

Binary packages encourage inconsistency and incompatibility, whearas source
encourages unified development frameworks and integration
gentoo.org

Re: grails.org website and Firefox on Linux

Marco De Michele-2
Same problem for me,  with the same OS and browser as David.
It also happens with Opera..... forced to use galeon to browse the site.

(please fix it !!)

Regards

Marco

ramon lima wrote:

> So much for the download guiness record.. :)
>

> On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 11:23 AM, olivier FRESSE
> <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Yes, I have this behaviour too.
>> In fact I'm back to firefox 2 as long as  firefox 3 is not "official".
>> I've had similar issues with other sites too.
>>
>> 2008/6/16 Stefan Armbruster <[hidden email]>:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> anyone else experiencing system hangs when grails.org is loaded? It
>>> seems
>>> that
>>> the CSS causes the CPU go to 100% while rendering the page. Even
>>> switching
>>> another app and back to FF causes high CPU load when grails.org is
>>> already
>>> loaded. Using top I observed xorg and firefox processes are consuming
>>> CPU.
>>> When switching off CSS ("no style" setting) it's fast. Using a different
>>> browser (konqueror e.g.) grails.org renders also fast. Grails.org seems
>>> to be
>>> the only website with this behaviour. Any other folks here having the
>>> same
>>> trouble?
>>>
>>> My system is:
>>> * CoreDuo CPU, 4 GB RAM
>>> * Ubuntu Hardy (Kernel 2.6.24-18-server)
>>> * KDE
>>> * Firefox 3 RC1 as available from archive.ubuntu.com, same thing
>>> happened
>>> with
>>> FF 3 beta 5
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Stefan

> Binary packages encourage inconsistency and incompatibility, whearas
> source
> encourages unified development frameworks and integration
> gentoo.org

Re: grails.org website and Firefox on Linux

Deluan
I'm using a full updated Ubuntu 8.04 with the final version of Firefox 3, and don't have any problem. Maybe it's an incompatibility with any debugger you may have installed (FireBug, etc...)

Regards,
Deluan

Persistent wrote

wrote:

> Yes, I have this behaviour too.
> In fact I'm back to firefox 2 as long as  firefox 3 is not "official".
> I've had similar issues with other sites too.
>
> 2008/6/16 Stefan Armbruster <ml001@armbruster-it.de>:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> anyone else experiencing system hangs when grails.org is loaded? It seems
>> that
>> the CSS causes the CPU go to 100% while rendering the page. Even switching
>> another app and back to FF causes high CPU load when grails.org is
>> already
>> loaded. Using top I observed xorg and firefox processes are consuming CPU.
>> When switching off CSS ("no style" setting) it's fast. Using a different
>> browser (konqueror e.g.) grails.org renders also fast. Grails.org seems
>> to be
>> the only website with this behaviour. Any other folks here having the same
>> trouble?
>>
>> My system is:
>> * CoreDuo CPU, 4 GB RAM
>> * Ubuntu Hardy (Kernel 2.6.24-18-server)
>> * KDE
>> * Firefox 3 RC1 as available from archive.ubuntu.com, same thing happened
>> with
>> FF 3 beta 5
>>
>> Regards,
>> Stefan

Binary packages encourage inconsistency and incompatibility, whearas source
encourages unified development frameworks and integration
gentoo.org

Re: grails.org website and Firefox on Linux

fernando.takai
I'm using FF3 final with Fedora 8 and this problem never happened with me (I'm using FF3 since beta 1).

Persistent wrote:

> This doesn't hang my system but it makes it slow down so much I close the
> tab grails is on once I get my information.  It is the only website that I
> have visited that does this.  I wonder if it can be fixed?  It detract
> from the excellent software it is intended to promote.
> Regards,
> David
> Firefox 3.0
> 8.04 Hardy
> GNOME 2.22.2
>

> ramon lima wrote:
>>
>> So much for the download guiness record.. :)
>>

>> On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 11:23 AM, olivier FRESSE
>> <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, I have this behaviour too.
>>> In fact I'm back to firefox 2 as long as  firefox 3 is not "official".
>>> I've had similar issues with other sites too.

>> --
>> Binary packages encourage inconsistency and incompatibility, whearas
>> source
>> encourages unified development frameworks and integration
>> gentoo.org

-----
http://blog.deluan.com

Fernando "Takai"
http://flickr.com/photos/supeertakai
http://fernandotakai.tumblr.com/
http://twitter.com/fernando_takai

Re: grails.org website and Firefox on Linux

mmornati
In our company we are using on all laptop fedora 8/9. As I know is with
my fedora 9 with firefox 3 I've never had problem browsing grails
website... My colleague, with the same settings, can't open that site. I
know that disabling the style all works correctly... but I think it's
not a simple bug to solve: there's a problem only with some
configuration (but I never understand what )... ;)

Marco

Fernando Takai wrote:

> [...]
>     <http://archive.ubuntu.com>, same thing
>     >>>> happened
>     >>>> with
>     >>>> FF 3 beta 5
>     >>>>
>     >>>> Regards,
>     >>>> Stefan
>     >>>>
>     >>>>
>     >>>>
>     >>>>    http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email
>     >>>>
>     >>>>
>     >>>>
>     >>>
>     >>
>     >>
>     >> --
>     >> Binary packages encourage inconsistency and incompatibility,
>     whearas
>     >> source
>     >> encourages unified development frameworks and integration

Dott. Ing. Mornati Marco
Byte-Code s.r.l
via Antonio Cechov, 1
San Giuliano Milanese (MI)
E-Mail: [hidden email]

Re: grails.org website and Firefox on Linux

Peter Ledbrook
> Same problem for me,  with the same OS and browser as David.
> It also happens with Opera..... forced to use galeon to browse the site.
>
> (please fix it !!)

FF3 on some Linux installations seems to have problems with the
"opacity" setting on the "body" tag. Remove the line from the CSS and
the page magically loads almost instantaneously. Unfortunately, the
"opacity" setting is a workaround for a bug in FF on Mac OS X:

  http://www.simpltry.com/2006/12/14/firefox-for-mac-and-opacity-problem/

Cheers,

Peter

--
Software Engineer
G2One, Inc.

Re: grails.org website and Firefox on Linux

Andre Pietsch
Hi,

so, since this problem still persists, who is responsible now?

Did somebody post a bug report to Mozilla?

Would a fix to the pages css help?

Andre
Peter Ledbrook-2 wrote
> Same problem for me,  with the same OS and browser as David.
> It also happens with Opera..... forced to use galeon to browse the site.
>
> (please fix it !!)

FF3 on some Linux installations seems to have problems with the
"opacity" setting on the "body" tag. Remove the line from the CSS and
the page magically loads almost instantaneously. Unfortunately, the
"opacity" setting is a workaround for a bug in FF on Mac OS X:

  http://www.simpltry.com/2006/12/14/firefox-for-mac-and-opacity-problem/

Cheers,

Peter

--
Software Engineer
G2One, Inc.
http://www.g2one.com/

Re: grails.org website and Firefox on Linux

James Allman
I have been struggling with this issue on a new install of Ubuntu 8.04 with KDE.  It was so bad it would cause the entire desktop to hang for seconds to minutes at a time.

Thanks to the tip about opacity I found that adding 'body { opacity: 1.0 ! important; }' to the user style sheet solves the problem permanently.

Execute the following to create or append to the user style sheet for the default firefox profile:

cd ~/.mozilla/firefox/*.default/chrome
echo 'body { opacity: 1.0 ! important; }' >> userContent.css

- James

Peter Ledbrook-2 wrote
FF3 on some Linux installations seems to have problems with the
"opacity" setting on the "body" tag. Remove the line from the CSS and
the page magically loads almost instantaneously. Unfortunately, the
"opacity" setting is a workaround for a bug in FF on Mac OS X:

  http://www.simpltry.com/2006/12/14/firefox-for-mac-and-opacity-problem/

Cheers,

Peter

--
Software Engineer
G2One, Inc.
http://www.g2one.com/

Re: grails.org website and Firefox on Linux

aeischeid
I have run into this issue with grails.org as well. I was totally baffled by it so glad to figure out how to get around it.

Something that still confuses me is that I have three machines all with Ubuntu, and essentially all the same software configurations two of them have no problem with the grails.org site. my assumption was that it must be a hardware driver issue.

-Aaron