Quantcast

grails standalone

12

grails standalone

Georg.Kellerer
hello,

i searched alot with google but cannot find a sollution for my question. i want to install a grails application on a local machine where no grails is installed and no webserver is running. Is it possible to run a grails application with
java -jar myapp.war? my hope is to use an embedded jetty servlet container or something like that.

thanks in advance for your help,
Georg

Re: grails standalone

::SammyRulez::
maybe with winstone http://winstone.sourceforge.net/

look at the "Embedding Winstone" section

2012/2/9  <[hidden email]>:

> hello,
>
> i searched alot with google but cannot find a sollution for my question. i want to install a grails application on a local machine where no grails is installed and no webserver is running. Is it possible to run a grails application with
> java -jar myapp.war? my hope is to use an embedded jetty servlet container or something like that.
>
> thanks in advance for your help,
> Georg

SammyRulez
http://www.sammyrulez.com
http://twitter.com/sammyrulez
http://www.linkedin.com/in/sammyrulez

Re: grails standalone

Dave Crane-7
Hi Georg,

Short answer is "no".

You need a web application server of some sort to run a Grails app. If
Grails is installed, then all the overhead of an embedded jetty or
tomcat server is set up for you, but you're still running the Grails
app in a JEE container. You could look at embedding Tomcat (or Jetty)
in some sort of wrapper app, I suppose - might be something out there
already that does what you need, I don't know because I haven't needed
to look.

If you're using GORM, then you'll also need to embed some sort of
database (and consider where will you persist it too, as well?) Again,
grails run-app will do this for you transparently, if you run with the
default datasources setup.

SammyRulez: I don't think Winstone would do it - Grails needs some of
the JEE "bloat", such as JNDI, in order to connect to a datasource.

HTH

Dave

On 9 February 2012 15:04,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> hello,
>
> i searched alot with google but cannot find a sollution for my question. i want to install a grails application on a local machine where no grails is installed and no webserver is running. Is it possible to run a grails application with
> java -jar myapp.war? my hope is to use an embedded jetty servlet container or something like that.
>
> thanks in advance for your help,
> Georg

Dave Crane
Technical Lead/Architect
Historic Futures Ltd.
T: +44 1993 886 420
W: http://historicfutures.com

This email, including any attachments, is confidential. If you receive
this message in error please inform the sender and delete it. Historic
Futures reserves the right to monitor or record emails.

Historic Futures Ltd. Registered Office: Carpenters' Workshop,
Blenheim Palace Sawmills, Swan Lane, Combe, Oxfordshire, OX29 8ET.
Registered in England No: 04693909.

Re: grails standalone

Matthias Hryniszak
Well...

1. grails prod run-app will do just what you need

2. You should never ever do that in production but for deployment of internal apps for like 2-3 people it will work just fine and will use embedded tomcat (much like winstone)

3. Grails doesn't need _any_ of the JEE special stuff you've mentioned. At least it doesn't need to and it doesn't do so by default.

HTH.

Matthias

2012/2/9 Dave Crane <[hidden email]>
Hi Georg,

Short answer is "no".

You need a web application server of some sort to run a Grails app. If
Grails is installed, then all the overhead of an embedded jetty or
tomcat server is set up for you, but you're still running the Grails
app in a JEE container. You could look at embedding Tomcat (or Jetty)
in some sort of wrapper app, I suppose - might be something out there
already that does what you need, I don't know because I haven't needed
to look.

If you're using GORM, then you'll also need to embed some sort of
database (and consider where will you persist it too, as well?) Again,
grails run-app will do this for you transparently, if you run with the
default datasources setup.

SammyRulez: I don't think Winstone would do it - Grails needs some of
the JEE "bloat", such as JNDI, in order to connect to a datasource.

HTH

Dave

On 9 February 2012 15:04,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
> hello,
>
> i searched alot with google but cannot find a sollution for my question. i want to install a grails application on a local machine where no grails is installed and no webserver is running. Is it possible to run a grails application with
> java -jar myapp.war? my hope is to use an embedded jetty servlet container or something like that.
>
> thanks in advance for your help,
> Georg

Dave Crane
Technical Lead/Architect
Historic Futures Ltd.
T: <a href="tel:%2B44%201993%20886%20420" value="+441993886420">+44 1993 886 420
W: http://historicfutures.com

This email, including any attachments, is confidential. If you receive
this message in error please inform the sender and delete it. Historic
Futures reserves the right to monitor or record emails.

Historic Futures Ltd. Registered Office: Carpenters' Workshop,
Blenheim Palace Sawmills, Swan Lane, Combe, Oxfordshire, OX29 8ET.
Registered in England No: 04693909.

Re: grails standalone

Graeme Rocher
Administrator
You might want to try http://grails.org/plugin/standalone

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 4:04 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> hello,
>
> i searched alot with google but cannot find a sollution for my question. i want to install a grails application on a local machine where no grails is installed and no webserver is running. Is it possible to run a grails application with
> java -jar myapp.war? my hope is to use an embedded jetty servlet container or something like that.
>
> thanks in advance for your help,
> Georg

http://www.springsource.com

Re: grails standalone

burtbeckwith
Short answer is "yes". See http://grails.org/plugin/standalone and http://grails.org/plugin/jetty-standalone

I think you'll have better luck with the one based on Jetty - the one I wrote can conflict with the Tomcat plugin you have in the main app.

Burt

On Thursday, February 09, 2012 03:23:06 PM Dave Crane wrote:

> Hi Georg,
>
> Short answer is "no".
>
> You need a web application server of some sort to run a Grails app. If
> Grails is installed, then all the overhead of an embedded jetty or
> tomcat server is set up for you, but you're still running the Grails
> app in a JEE container. You could look at embedding Tomcat (or Jetty)
> in some sort of wrapper app, I suppose - might be something out there
> already that does what you need, I don't know because I haven't needed
> to look.
>
> If you're using GORM, then you'll also need to embed some sort of
> database (and consider where will you persist it too, as well?) Again,
> grails run-app will do this for you transparently, if you run with the
> default datasources setup.
>
> SammyRulez: I don't think Winstone would do it - Grails needs some of
> the JEE "bloat", such as JNDI, in order to connect to a datasource.
>
> HTH
>
> Dave
>
> On 9 February 2012 15:04,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > hello,
> >
> > i searched alot with google but cannot find a sollution for my question. i want to install a grails application on a local machine where no grails is installed and no webserver is running. Is it possible to run a grails application with
> > java -jar myapp.war? my hope is to use an embedded jetty servlet container or something like that.
> >
> > thanks in advance for your help,
> > Georg

Re: grails standalone

John Cartwright - NOAA Federal
I understand that one should not use "grails prod run-app" for a
production applications but I'm confused about the whether performance
characteristics differ significantly between that strategy and the use
of these plugins. In other words, are the plugins listed below suitable
for production applications?

Can someone please explain what it is about "grails prod run-app" that
makes it unsuitable for production applications and different than the
use of the plugins below?

Thanks!

--john

On 02/09/2012 08:52 AM, Burt Beckwith wrote:

> Short answer is "yes". See http://grails.org/plugin/standalone and http://grails.org/plugin/jetty-standalone
>
> I think you'll have better luck with the one based on Jetty - the one I wrote can conflict with the Tomcat plugin you have in the main app.
>
> Burt
>
> On Thursday, February 09, 2012 03:23:06 PM Dave Crane wrote:
>> Hi Georg,
>>
>> Short answer is "no".
>>
>> You need a web application server of some sort to run a Grails app. If
>> Grails is installed, then all the overhead of an embedded jetty or
>> tomcat server is set up for you, but you're still running the Grails
>> app in a JEE container. You could look at embedding Tomcat (or Jetty)
>> in some sort of wrapper app, I suppose - might be something out there
>> already that does what you need, I don't know because I haven't needed
>> to look.
>>
>> If you're using GORM, then you'll also need to embed some sort of
>> database (and consider where will you persist it too, as well?) Again,
>> grails run-app will do this for you transparently, if you run with the
>> default datasources setup.
>>
>> SammyRulez: I don't think Winstone would do it - Grails needs some of
>> the JEE "bloat", such as JNDI, in order to connect to a datasource.
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> Dave
>>
>> On 9 February 2012 15:04,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> hello,
>>>
>>> i searched alot with google but cannot find a sollution for my question. i want to install a grails application on a local machine where no grails is installed and no webserver is running. Is it possible to run a grails application with
>>> java -jar myapp.war? my hope is to use an embedded jetty servlet container or something like that.
>>>
>>> thanks in advance for your help,
>>> Georg

Re: grails standalone

rlovtangen
At least you should use "grails prod run-war" instead of "grails prod run-app".
run-war will not enable automatic reloading like run-app, and thus performs better.

Ronny

On Feb 9, 2012, at 5:39 PM, John Cartwright wrote:

> I understand that one should not use "grails prod run-app" for a
> production applications but I'm confused about the whether performance
> characteristics differ significantly between that strategy and the use
> of these plugins. In other words, are the plugins listed below suitable
> for production applications?
>
> Can someone please explain what it is about "grails prod run-app" that
> makes it unsuitable for production applications and different than the
> use of the plugins below?
>
> Thanks!
>
> --john
>

> On 02/09/2012 08:52 AM, Burt Beckwith wrote:
>> Short answer is "yes". See http://grails.org/plugin/standalone and http://grails.org/plugin/jetty-standalone
>>
>> I think you'll have better luck with the one based on Jetty - the one I wrote can conflict with the Tomcat plugin you have in the main app.
>>
>> Burt
>>
>> On Thursday, February 09, 2012 03:23:06 PM Dave Crane wrote:
>>> Hi Georg,
>>>
>>> Short answer is "no".
>>>
>>> You need a web application server of some sort to run a Grails app. If
>>> Grails is installed, then all the overhead of an embedded jetty or
>>> tomcat server is set up for you, but you're still running the Grails
>>> app in a JEE container. You could look at embedding Tomcat (or Jetty)
>>> in some sort of wrapper app, I suppose - might be something out there
>>> already that does what you need, I don't know because I haven't needed
>>> to look.
>>>
>>> If you're using GORM, then you'll also need to embed some sort of
>>> database (and consider where will you persist it too, as well?) Again,
>>> grails run-app will do this for you transparently, if you run with the
>>> default datasources setup.
>>>
>>> SammyRulez: I don't think Winstone would do it - Grails needs some of
>>> the JEE "bloat", such as JNDI, in order to connect to a datasource.
>>>
>>> HTH
>>>
>>> Dave

Re: grails standalone

John Cartwright - NOAA Federal
Thanks Ronny. Let me re-phrase my question then: should "grails prod
run-war" be avoided in production applications?  Are there significant
performance differences in this and using the standalone or
jetty-standalone plugins?

--john

On 02/09/2012 09:47 AM, Ronny Løvtangen wrote:

> At least you should use "grails prod run-war" instead of "grails prod run-app".
> run-war will not enable automatic reloading like run-app, and thus performs better.
>
> Ronny
>
> On Feb 9, 2012, at 5:39 PM, John Cartwright wrote:
>
>> I understand that one should not use "grails prod run-app" for a
>> production applications but I'm confused about the whether performance
>> characteristics differ significantly between that strategy and the use
>> of these plugins. In other words, are the plugins listed below suitable
>> for production applications?
>>
>> Can someone please explain what it is about "grails prod run-app" that
>> makes it unsuitable for production applications and different than the
>> use of the plugins below?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> --john
>>

>> On 02/09/2012 08:52 AM, Burt Beckwith wrote:
>>> Short answer is "yes". See http://grails.org/plugin/standalone and http://grails.org/plugin/jetty-standalone
>>>
>>> I think you'll have better luck with the one based on Jetty - the one I wrote can conflict with the Tomcat plugin you have in the main app.
>>>
>>> Burt

Re: grails standalone

Matthias Hryniszak
As I wrote if there are going to be like 2-3 users of the application it doesn't make much difference if it's run-app or run-war. For a number of concurrent users I'd strongly advice against bundling the application in anything else than a standard war and proper deployment to a proper servlet container. After all unzipping Tomcat and putting the war file where it belongs isn't all that hard, is it?

Matthias.

2012/2/9 Ronny Løvtangen <[hidden email]>
At least you should use "grails prod run-war" instead of "grails prod run-app".
run-war will not enable automatic reloading like run-app, and thus performs better.

Ronny

On Feb 9, 2012, at 5:39 PM, John Cartwright wrote:

> I understand that one should not use "grails prod run-app" for a
> production applications but I'm confused about the whether performance
> characteristics differ significantly between that strategy and the use
> of these plugins. In other words, are the plugins listed below suitable
> for production applications?
>
> Can someone please explain what it is about "grails prod run-app" that
> makes it unsuitable for production applications and different than the
> use of the plugins below?
>
> Thanks!
>
> --john
>

> On 02/09/2012 08:52 AM, Burt Beckwith wrote:
>> Short answer is "yes". See http://grails.org/plugin/standalone and http://grails.org/plugin/jetty-standalone
>>
>> I think you'll have better luck with the one based on Jetty - the one I wrote can conflict with the Tomcat plugin you have in the main app.
>>
>> Burt
>>
>> On Thursday, February 09, 2012 03:23:06 PM Dave Crane wrote:
>>> Hi Georg,
>>>
>>> Short answer is "no".
>>>
>>> You need a web application server of some sort to run a Grails app. If
>>> Grails is installed, then all the overhead of an embedded jetty or
>>> tomcat server is set up for you, but you're still running the Grails
>>> app in a JEE container. You could look at embedding Tomcat (or Jetty)
>>> in some sort of wrapper app, I suppose - might be something out there
>>> already that does what you need, I don't know because I haven't needed
>>> to look.
>>>
>>> If you're using GORM, then you'll also need to embed some sort of
>>> database (and consider where will you persist it too, as well?) Again,
>>> grails run-app will do this for you transparently, if you run with the
>>> default datasources setup.
>>>
>>> SammyRulez: I don't think Winstone would do it - Grails needs some of
>>> the JEE "bloat", such as JNDI, in order to connect to a datasource.
>>>
>>> HTH
>>>
>>> Dave

Re: grails standalone

Graeme Rocher
Administrator
You could use "grails prod run-war" but it isn't ideal but it runs two
JVMs, one for the command line and a forked JVM for the Tomcat server.
This is a bit of a waste of server resources

It is better to use the standalone plugins since they only require a single JVM

Cheers

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 5:53 PM, John Cartwright
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Ronny. Let me re-phrase my question then: should "grails prod
> run-war" be avoided in production applications?  Are there significant
> performance differences in this and using the standalone or
> jetty-standalone plugins?
>
> --john
>
> On 02/09/2012 09:47 AM, Ronny Løvtangen wrote:
>> At least you should use "grails prod run-war" instead of "grails prod run-app".
>> run-war will not enable automatic reloading like run-app, and thus performs better.
>>
>> Ronny
>>
>> On Feb 9, 2012, at 5:39 PM, John Cartwright wrote:
>>
>>> I understand that one should not use "grails prod run-app" for a
>>> production applications but I'm confused about the whether performance
>>> characteristics differ significantly between that strategy and the use
>>> of these plugins. In other words, are the plugins listed below suitable
>>> for production applications?
>>>
>>> Can someone please explain what it is about "grails prod run-app" that
>>> makes it unsuitable for production applications and different than the
>>> use of the plugins below?
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> --john

http://www.springsource.com

Re: grails standalone

Ian Roberts
On 09/02/2012 16:53, John Cartwright wrote:
> Thanks Ronny. Let me re-phrase my question then: should "grails prod
> run-war" be avoided in production applications?  Are there significant
> performance differences in this and using the standalone or
> jetty-standalone plugins?

grails prod run-war should be the same performance-wise as a standalone
tomcat (assuming the same memory settings etc.), except that it rebuilds
the war file every time you start it up.

Ian

Re: grails standalone

Graeme Rocher
Administrator
On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 6:00 PM, Matthias Hryniszak <[hidden email]> wrote:
> As I wrote if there are going to be like 2-3 users of the application it
> doesn't make much difference if it's run-app or run-war. For a number of

This is incorrect, run-app enables the reloading capabilities and
disables many caches. The performance will be significantly worse with
run-app than run-war, particularly with Grails 2.0 which enables a JVM
agent to enable class hot swapping

Cheers

> concurrent users I'd strongly advice against bundling the application in
> anything else than a standard war and proper deployment to a proper servlet
> container. After all unzipping Tomcat and putting the war file where it
> belongs isn't all that hard, is it?
>
> Matthias.
>

> 2012/2/9 Ronny Løvtangen <[hidden email]>
>>
>> At least you should use "grails prod run-war" instead of "grails prod
>> run-app".
>> run-war will not enable automatic reloading like run-app, and thus
>> performs better.
>>
>> Ronny
>>
>> On Feb 9, 2012, at 5:39 PM, John Cartwright wrote:
>>
>> > I understand that one should not use "grails prod run-app" for a
>> > production applications but I'm confused about the whether performance
>> > characteristics differ significantly between that strategy and the use
>> > of these plugins. In other words, are the plugins listed below suitable
>> > for production applications?
>> >
>> > Can someone please explain what it is about "grails prod run-app" that
>> > makes it unsuitable for production applications and different than the
>> > use of the plugins below?
>> >
>> > Thanks!
>> >
>> > --john

>> >    http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email

http://www.springsource.com

Re: grails standalone

Dave Crane-7
Very nice. I stand corrected.

Out of interest, what's the recommended way for dealing with database
config on the deployed machine? The jetty-standalone plugin docs
simply say:

"This also means you need to provide a database configuration for the
standalone environment!"

but presumably you're either restricted to an in-memory database (i.e.
no real persistence, demo-ware only), or a known network database if
you're just handing it out round the office/local network?

Cheers,

Dave

On 09/02/2012 17:37, Dave Crane wrote:

> Very nice. I stand corrected.
>
> Out of interest, what's the recommended way for dealing with database
> config on the deployed machine? The jetty-standalone plugin docs
> simply say:
>
> "This also means you need to provide a database configuration for the
> standalone environment!"
>
> but presumably you're either restricted to an in-memory database (i.e.
> no real persistence, demo-ware only), or a known network database if
> you're just handing it out round the office/local network?

Not necessarily, you could use a relative path to an hsqldb/h2 database
the same as the default environments use, which would cause the database
file to appear in whatever directory you were in when you did java -jar
...  Or you could use something like

url = "jdbc:hsqldb:${new File(System.getProperty('user.home'),
'myapp-standalone.db').toURI()}"

Ian

AW: [grails-user] grails standalone

Georg.Kellerer
Hi Burt and list,

thanks for your answers. I tried the jetty-standalone plugin and it worked quite fine.

greetings,
Georg

I think you'll have better luck with the one based on Jetty - the one I wrote can conflict with the Tomcat plugin you have in the main app.

Burt

On Thursday, February 09, 2012 03:23:06 PM Dave Crane wrote:

> Hi Georg,
>
> Short answer is "no".
>
> You need a web application server of some sort to run a Grails app. If
> Grails is installed, then all the overhead of an embedded jetty or
> tomcat server is set up for you, but you're still running the Grails
> app in a JEE container. You could look at embedding Tomcat (or Jetty)
> in some sort of wrapper app, I suppose - might be something out there
> already that does what you need, I don't know because I haven't needed
> to look.
>
> If you're using GORM, then you'll also need to embed some sort of
> database (and consider where will you persist it too, as well?) Again,
> grails run-app will do this for you transparently, if you run with the
> default datasources setup.
>
> SammyRulez: I don't think Winstone would do it - Grails needs some of
> the JEE "bloat", such as JNDI, in order to connect to a datasource.
>
> HTH
>
> Dave
>
> On 9 February 2012 15:04,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > hello,
> >
> > i searched alot with google but cannot find a sollution for my question. i want to install a grails application on a local machine where no grails is installed and no webserver is running. Is it possible to run a grails application with
> > java -jar myapp.war? my hope is to use an embedded jetty servlet container or something like that.
> >
> > thanks in advance for your help,
> > Georg

Re: grails standalone

Ken Tanaka
For an internal service we have been using "grails prod run-app" that is only hit by another single internal program. Based on previous postings, I'll switch over to "grails prod run-war" the next time it needs to be re-started.

This is a Grails 1.3.7 app that works with a MySql database, and has been running just fine for over two months (restarted once for a linux system upgrade). Every 5 minutes during that period another program has been sending light duty queries. This service provides the internal interface to our tape library. We've secured the service controller action to only respond to requests from a known IP address, the partner machine, so I know traffic is restricted to essentially one "user".

This is a special configuration and deployment of a program we deployed as a tomcat war file on a separate system for interactive usage by many people. Although it doesn't need to be a Grails app for the internal service, it's nice to have the same admin interface on this back-end service that is usually used on the interactive deployment. It also provides a backup interface to the database should the war file deployment be unavailable.

Ken

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 6:51 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Burt and list,

thanks for your answers. I tried the jetty-standalone plugin and it worked quite fine.

greetings,
Georg

I think you'll have better luck with the one based on Jetty - the one I wrote can conflict with the Tomcat plugin you have in the main app.

Burt

On Thursday, February 09, 2012 03:23:06 PM Dave Crane wrote:
> Hi Georg,
>
> Short answer is "no".
>
> You need a web application server of some sort to run a Grails app. If
> Grails is installed, then all the overhead of an embedded jetty or
> tomcat server is set up for you, but you're still running the Grails
> app in a JEE container. You could look at embedding Tomcat (or Jetty)
> in some sort of wrapper app, I suppose - might be something out there
> already that does what you need, I don't know because I haven't needed
> to look.
>
> If you're using GORM, then you'll also need to embed some sort of
> database (and consider where will you persist it too, as well?) Again,
> grails run-app will do this for you transparently, if you run with the
> default datasources setup.
>
> SammyRulez: I don't think Winstone would do it - Grails needs some of
> the JEE "bloat", such as JNDI, in order to connect to a datasource.
>
> HTH
>
> Dave
>
> On 9 February 2012 15:04,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > hello,
> >
> > i searched alot with google but cannot find a sollution for my question. i want to install a grails application on a local machine where no grails is installed and no webserver is running. Is it possible to run a grails application with
> > java -jar myapp.war? my hope is to use an embedded jetty servlet container or something like that.
> >
> > thanks in advance for your help,
> > Georg

Re: grails standalone

John Cartwright - NOAA Federal
Ken,

I've successfully used a gradle script (https://github.com/xlson/standalone-war/) which packages jetty into an executable jar as well as Burt Beckwith's Standalone App Runner plugin (http://grails.org/plugin/standalone).  I didn't experience any Tomcat conflicts w/ the latter.

--john

On 02/10/2012 09:25 AM, Ken Tanaka wrote:
> [...]

> database (and consider where will you persist it too, as well?) Again,
> grails run-app will do this for you transparently, if you run with the
> default datasources setup.
>
> SammyRulez: I don't think Winstone would do it - Grails needs some of
> the JEE "bloat", such as JNDI, in order to connect to a datasource.
>
> HTH
>
> Dave
>
> On 9 February 2012 15:04,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > hello,
> >
> > i searched alot with google but cannot find a sollution for my question. i want to install a grails application on a local machine where no grails is installed and no webserver is running. Is it possible to run a grails application with
> > java -jar myapp.war? my hope is to use an embedded jetty servlet container or something like that.

Re: grails standalone

basejump (Josh)
I am curios on the perceived need I am seeing here. What prevents you from installing a tomcat or jetty service. If you can run 'grails prod run-app' then what prevents you from running startup.bat/startup.sh from the command line if the service is not an option?
I can see scenarios where standalone makes sense but based on what I am reading I don't get why anyone would want to set things up the way you guys are in your environments.

12