Quantcast

grails

Harm de Laat-2
Hi all,

I'm a Java developer for about 8 years now. I have done my share of J2EE projects.
Recently I'm doing more and more using Ruby on Rails.

However, I still think Ruby on Rails misses a stable deployment platform.
Also, I had my eye on JRuby (whichs seems very inactive), from which I hoped it would be possible to use the ease of Rails in a Java environment (use 3rd party libs, communicate with EJB backends, etcs).

Yesterday I bumped into GRails, which looks very impressive.
I would very much like to help. Is GRails still under active development?
On which areas do you still need help?

Regards,

Harm de Laat

RE: grails

Dierk König
Hi Harm,

welcome to Grails and thanks for interest and offering help.
This is very welcome.

I answer on behalf of the project manager Graeme Rocher who isn't available today.

You have probably visited http://grails.codehaus.org
This side contains a link to the JIRA issue tracker that manages our 'todos'.

Yes, we're under active development (very active actually :-).
See the Fisheye CVS view and the mailinglist archives.

cheers
Mittie

Re: grails

Harm de Laat-2
Great, I will take a look at it.
How can I become a CVS committer?

Regards,

Harm.

You have probably visited <a href="http://grails.codehaus.org" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)">http://grails.codehaus.org
This side contains a link to the JIRA issue tracker that manages our 'todos'.

Yes, we're under active development (very active actually :-).
See the Fisheye CVS view and the mailinglist archives.

cheers
Mittie

Re: grails

Guillaume Laforge-2
On 3/13/06, Harm de Laat <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Great, I will take a look at it.
> How can I become a CVS committer?

First of all, on most OSS projects (including Grails or Groovy), you
don't become a CVS commiter by asking to become a commiter :-) You
first have to contribute patches that you will attach to the JIRA
tasks you want to work on. Then we can review your patch and apply it
if it's a good patch. And after some time, if we're happy with all
your contributions, we'll certainly give you commit rights on the CVS
repository.

--
Guillaume Laforge
Groovy Project Manager
http://glaforge.free.fr/blog/groovy

Re: grails

Harm de Laat-2
Ofcourse... Thx for that pointer.

Just wondering.... I created a grails project and fiddled around with it....
However, when I change a domain class while running Jetty, these changes are not being picked up immediatly, but only after a jetty restart.
Is this intended design?

Regards,

Harm.

On 3/13/06, Guillaume Laforge <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 3/13/06, Harm de Laat <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Great, I will take a look at it.
> How can I become a CVS committer?

First of all, on most OSS projects (including Grails or Groovy), you
don't become a CVS commiter by asking to become a commiter :-) You
first have to contribute patches that you will attach to the JIRA
tasks you want to work on. Then we can review your patch and apply it
if it's a good patch. And after some time, if we're happy with all
your contributions, we'll certainly give you commit rights on the CVS
repository.

--
Guillaume Laforge
Groovy Project Manager
http://glaforge.free.fr/blog/groovy

Re: grails

Guillaume Laforge-2
On 3/13/06, Harm de Laat <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Ofcourse... Thx for that pointer.

You're welcome.

> Just wondering.... I created a grails project and fiddled around with it....
> However, when I change a domain class while running Jetty, these changes are
> not being picked up immediatly, but only after a jetty restart.
> Is this intended design?

I'm not the best qualified person for answering the question, but I
think that it's by design, since the domain classes are really the
base of your application, everything has to be recompiled, db schema
updated, and so on. So I think it's better to start the application
from scratch, otherwise, it's hard to be sure there won't be
unexpected side effects.

--
Guillaume Laforge
Groovy Project Manager
http://glaforge.free.fr/blog/groovy

Re: grails

Harm de Laat-2
Okay, so this is certainly an area where grails differs from RoR.
RoR does support changes in the model on the fly, which is actualy pretty powerful.

I'm sure this is only true for domain classes?

On 3/13/06, Guillaume Laforge <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 3/13/06, Harm de Laat <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Ofcourse... Thx for that pointer.

You're welcome.

> Just wondering.... I created a grails project and fiddled around with it....
> However, when I change a domain class while running Jetty, these changes are
> not being picked up immediatly, but only after a jetty restart.
> Is this intended design?

I'm not the best qualified person for answering the question, but I
think that it's by design, since the domain classes are really the
base of your application, everything has to be recompiled, db schema
updated, and so on. So I think it's better to start the application
from scratch, otherwise, it's hard to be sure there won't be
unexpected side effects.

--
Guillaume Laforge
Groovy Project Manager
http://glaforge.free.fr/blog/groovy

Re: grails

Guillaume Laforge-2
On 3/13/06, Harm de Laat <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Okay, so this is certainly an area where grails differs from RoR.
> RoR does support changes in the model on the fly, which is actualy pretty
> powerful.

Well, it doesn't mean it cannot be done at all, but I guess that's not
a top priority.

> I'm sure this is only true for domain classes?

I think all the other artifacts are refreshable, except perhaps the
message resource bundles. Otherwise, if you change your dynamic tag
libs, your controllers, etc, I believe they are all reloaded properly.
AFAIK :-)

--
Guillaume Laforge
Groovy Project Manager
http://glaforge.free.fr/blog/groovy

RE: grails

Dierk König
Grails doesn't require Server restart when changing domain classes, unless for 'tricky' bi-directional references.
Changes to all other artifacts are always immediate without server restart.
RoR also sometimes requires webrick restart on changes to domain classes.

When changing domain classes and running with the internal HSQL DB, instances from 'old' classes will
no longer be available.

cheers
Mittie
Okay, so this is certainly an area where grails differs from RoR.
RoR does support changes in the model on the fly, which is actualy pretty powerful.

I'm sure this is only true for domain classes?

On 3/13/06, Guillaume Laforge <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 3/13/06, Harm de Laat <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Ofcourse... Thx for that pointer.

You're welcome.

> Just wondering.... I created a grails project and fiddled around with it....
> However, when I change a domain class while running Jetty, these changes are
> not being picked up immediatly, but only after a jetty restart.
> Is this intended design?

I'm not the best qualified person for answering the question, but I
think that it's by design, since the domain classes are really the
base of your application, everything has to be recompiled, db schema
updated, and so on. So I think it's better to start the application
from scratch, otherwise, it's hard to be sure there won't be
unexpected side effects.

--
Guillaume Laforge
Groovy Project Manager
http://glaforge.free.fr/blog/groovy

Re: grails

Harm de Laat-2

When changing domain classes and running with the internal HSQL DB, instances from 'old' classes will
no longer be available.

Then this is what probably happend to me... :)

Re: grails

graemer
On 13/03/06, Harm de Laat <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 3/13/06, Dierk Koenig <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> > When changing domain classes and running with the internal HSQL DB,
> instances from 'old' classes will
> > no longer be available.
> >

> Then this is what probably happend to me... :)

Hi Harm,

Welcome to Grails! As Dierk said domain classes are reloadable, there
are some quirks though as reloading within a JVM is always going to be
trickier because of the nature of how classes are defined. Occasionaly
a server restart is necessary, but we hope that this will be minimised
over time.

As far as contributing goes we're currently approaching the 0.1
release and I encourage you to take a look at the roadmap at
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GRAILS?report=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.project:roadmap-panel

These are the issue/features that we need to tackle before the release
of 0.1. Feel free to take on any of them and submit a patch, if the
quality of your work is of the required standard, then we would love
to take you on as a committer in the long term.

Again, thanks for your interest