groovy and grails ides

12

groovy and grails ides

Jason Davis
Hello,
  Can anyone suggest a good IDE for groovy and grails? It seems I
spend a lot of time messing with STS, just to make it work.
So any IDE but that one :)

Would be nice to be just like STS but work properly more than 80% of
the time. And possibly be able to import projects for SVN
(another thing STS still cant do properly)

Re: groovy and grails ides

burtbeckwith

Yay, another endless thread on the virtues of STS, IntelliJ, Netbeans, TextMate, and vi :)

Please check the archives for the recent similar discussions.

Burt

> Hello,

> Can anyone suggest a good IDE for groovy and grails? It seems I

> spend a lot of time messing with STS, just to make it work.

> So any IDE but that one :)

> Would be nice to be just like STS but work properly more than 80% of

> the time. And possibly be able to import projects for SVN

> (another thing STS still cant do properly)

Re: groovy and grails ides

Roberto Guerra
vi or emacs :D

I got fed up of STS and netbeans, and went back to my roots.

On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 4:35 PM, Jason Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,
 Can anyone suggest a good IDE for groovy and grails? It seems I
spend a lot of time messing with STS, just to make it work.
So any IDE but that one :)

Would be nice to be just like STS but work properly more than 80% of
the time. And possibly be able to import projects for SVN
(another thing STS still cant do properly)

Re: groovy and grails ides

Jason Davis
thanks

On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 3:38 PM, Burt Beckwith <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yay, another endless thread on the virtues of STS, IntelliJ, Netbeans,
> TextMate, and vi :)
>
> Please check the archives for the recent similar discussions.
>
> Burt
>
>> Hello,
>
>> Can anyone suggest a good IDE for groovy and grails? It seems I
>
>> spend a lot of time messing with STS, just to make it work.
>
>> So any IDE but that one :)
>

>> Would be nice to be just like STS but work properly more than 80% of
>
>> the time. And possibly be able to import projects for SVN
>
>> (another thing STS still cant do properly)

Re: groovy and grails ides

Jason Davis
A file browser, tabs, svn plugin would be nice :D

On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 3:39 PM, Roberto Guerra <[hidden email]> wrote:

> vi or emacs :D
> I got fed up of STS and netbeans, and went back to my roots.
>
> On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 4:35 PM, Jason Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>  Can anyone suggest a good IDE for groovy and grails? It seems I
>> spend a lot of time messing with STS, just to make it work.
>> So any IDE but that one :)
>>
>> Would be nice to be just like STS but work properly more than 80% of
>> the time. And possibly be able to import projects for SVN
>> (another thing STS still cant do properly)

Re: groovy and grails ides

Alberto Barcelos
Expenses apart, Intellij Idea 10 rocks!

Att.

Alberto Barcelos

On Jan 4, 2011, at 8:41 PM, Jason Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> A file browser, tabs, svn plugin would be nice :D
>
> On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 3:39 PM, Roberto Guerra <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> vi or emacs :D
>> I got fed up of STS and netbeans, and went back to my roots.
>>
>> On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 4:35 PM, Jason Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>  Can anyone suggest a good IDE for groovy and grails? It seems I
>>> spend a lot of time messing with STS, just to make it work.
>>> So any IDE but that one :)
>>>
>>> Would be nice to be just like STS but work properly more than 80% of
>>> the time. And possibly be able to import projects for SVN
>>> (another thing STS still cant do properly)

Re: groovy and grails ides

farshid
Completely agree with Alberto.

Farshid

Re: groovy and grails ides

Russel Winder
On Tue, 2011-01-04 at 17:38 -0500, Burt Beckwith wrote:
> Yay, another endless thread on the virtues of STS, IntelliJ, Netbeans,
> TextMate, and vi :)

Use Emacs.

End of Thread  ;-)

--
Russel.

Re: groovy and grails ides

John Thompson
IntelliJ 10 - Jetbrains is putting a lot of support in for Grails & Groovy.
JT
jts-blog.com

Re: groovy and grails ides

Jeremy Ramsey
I've been using NetBeans for my grails development for about a year now, and it's pretty nice.  It's not perfect by any means, but the quality of the tool is pretty good for being free.

Re: groovy and grails ides

Jason Davis
I tried IDEA. Very impressed with the grails/groovy support. I hate
the UI though. So I'll tough it out with STS.

Thanks Everyone.
Jason

On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 9:43 AM, Jeremy Ramsey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've been using NetBeans for my grails development for about a year now, and
> it's pretty nice.  It's not perfect by any means, but the quality of the
> tool is pretty good for being free.

Re: groovy and grails ides

fabien7474
Jason Davis wrote
I tried IDEA. Very impressed with the grails/groovy support. I hate
the UI though. So I'll tough it out with STS.

Thanks Everyone.
Jason
What do you hate in the UI?

It doesn't look to me worst than STS or NetBeans. Most important is to get familiar with shortcuts and you can easily customize IDEA to behave like Eclipse.

Re: groovy and grails ides

Sébastien Blanc
I know this is an never-ending topic but was is really wrong with STS ? It provides all I want, unless you are a junior developer who needs 100%  assistance, STS is really  a good option

On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 2:19 AM, fabien7474 <[hidden email]> wrote:

Jason Davis wrote:

> I tried IDEA. Very impressed with the grails/groovy support. I hate
> the UI though. So I'll tough it out with STS.
>
> Thanks Everyone.
> Jason

What do you hate in the UI?

It doesn't look to me worst than STS or NetBeans. Most important is to get
familiar with shortcuts and you can easily customize IDEA to behave like
Eclipse.

Re: groovy and grails ides

Roberto Guerra
STS crashed too much for me, especially during code completion.
Also, it was a little awkward the way the 'grails button' worked. You had to click it to select a list of previous grails commands, and when you selected it, a window popped up  and you had to press enter. In netbeans you have a console for each command that you run, and it has a stop and run button. So there is really only one click that you need to do to re-run previous grails commands.
Also, it was annoying to see so many false errors, especially when I was using plugins in my code, somehow STS could never resolve them. I asked around and the best answer I got was: just ignore it. That was not good enough for me.

Jason Davis wrote:

> I tried IDEA. Very impressed with the grails/groovy support. I hate
> the UI though. So I'll tough it out with STS.
>
> Thanks Everyone.
> Jason

What do you hate in the UI?

It doesn't look to me worst than STS or NetBeans. Most important is to get
familiar with shortcuts and you can easily customize IDEA to behave like
Eclipse.

Re: groovy and grails ides

tomas lin
Sure, Windows also provides all you would want from an Operating
System and IE6 provides all you want from a web browser.

IMHO, IntelliJ is just more polished than STS and has a ton of little
improvements not just for Grails, but also Java / other editing.

On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 1:26 AM, Sébastien Blanc <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I know this is an never-ending topic but was is really wrong with STS ? It
> provides all I want, unless you are a junior developer who needs 100%
>  assistance, STS is really  a good option
>
> On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 2:19 AM, fabien7474 <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>

>> Jason Davis wrote:
>> >
>> > I tried IDEA. Very impressed with the grails/groovy support. I hate
>> > the UI though. So I'll tough it out with STS.
>> >
>> > Thanks Everyone.
>> > Jason
>> >

>> What do you hate in the UI?
>>
>> It doesn't look to me worst than STS or NetBeans. Most important is to get
>> familiar with shortcuts and you can easily customize IDEA to behave like
>> Eclipse.

Re: groovy and grails ides

John Thompson
IE6 Rocks! - My fav!  LOL

Kidding aside - One thing that's being overlooked is support.

Over the last few years, I've contacted the IDEA support roughly a dozen times. On average I get a response in 3 minutes.  I swear their support tech Serge does not sleep.  I've sent in tickets at some pretty odd hours, and still received a response in a few minutes. Their support team is awesome.
JT
jts-blog.com

Re: groovy and grails ides

Mauro
On 14 January 2011 19:17, Jason Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I tried IDEA. Very impressed with the grails/groovy support. I hate
> the UI though. So I'll tough it out with STS.

I'm trying IDE CE, but it seems to have groovy support and not grails support.

Re: groovy and grails ides

Nicolás Dijkstra

My votes go for textmate and netbeans in that order

---------
ND

2011/1/15 Nicolás Dijkstra <[hidden email]>:
> My votes go for textmate and netbeans in that order

I feel good with netbeans, it has good support for grails and rails.

Re: groovy and grails ides

John Moore
I've been trying out IntelliJ IDEA recently, after using NetBeans for
the last couple of years. I have to say that I can now see why so many
people rave about it for Grails and Groovy - it's just so much more
complete than the NetBeans support, with really useful code completion
among other advantages.

12