need to export to excel

Frank Rocco-3
Hello,

I need to have a link that a user can export data from a mysql to excel
Are there any examples in grails?

Thanks

Frank

Re: need to export to excel

graemer
Either create a CSV file which can be opened in excel or use apache POI

Cheers

On 5/1/07, Frank Rocco <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I need to have a link that a user can export data from a mysql to excel
> Are there any examples in grails?
>
> Thanks
>
> Frank

http://grails.org

Re: need to export to excel

Babelex
There is also another way :

Use EditGrid's Soap API to write the information to an online
spreadsheet, this is then automatically available as an Excel file via
the permalink with a .xls exension.

I may be to convoluted for your use, depends on the context.

--
regards
Al

Re: need to export to excel

Frank Rocco-3
Thanks Graeme,

Are there any examples?

Frank
On May 1, 2007, at 12:30 PM, Graeme Rocher wrote:

> Either create a CSV file which can be opened in excel or use apache
> POI
>
> Cheers
>
> On 5/1/07, Frank Rocco <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I need to have a link that a user can export data from a mysql to
>> excel
>> Are there any examples in grails?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Frank

> Graeme Rocher
> Grails Project Lead
> http://grails.org

Re: need to export to excel

Babelex
Whoops forgot the hypelink : http://www.editgrid.com

On 5/1/07, Babelex <[hidden email]> wrote:

> There is also another way :
>
> Use EditGrid's Soap API to write the information to an online
> spreadsheet, this is then automatically available as an Excel file via
> the permalink with a .xls exension.
>
> I may be to convoluted for your use, depends on the context.
>
> --
> regards
> Al
> http://www.folknology.com/index.html
> #OpenSource means free to innovate#

--
regards
Al
http://www.folknology.com/index.html
#OpenSource means free to innovate#

Re: need to export to excel

Sven Haiges
I chose http://jexcelapi.sourceforge.net/ for that. Easy API, just works. there are examples online...

cheers\
sven
On 5/1/07, Babelex <[hidden email]> wrote:
Whoops forgot the hypelink : http://www.editgrid.com

On 5/1/07, Babelex <[hidden email]> wrote:
> There is also another way :
>
> Use EditGrid's Soap API to write the information to an online
> spreadsheet, this is then automatically available as an Excel file via
> the permalink with a .xls exension.
>
> I may be to convoluted for your use, depends on the context.
>
> --
> regards
> Al
> http://www.folknology.com/index.html
> #OpenSource means free to innovate#

--
regards
Al
http://www.folknology.com/index.html
#OpenSource means free to innovate#

Sven Haiges
[hidden email]

Skype: hansamann
Personal Homepage, Wiki & Blog: http://www.svenhaiges.de

Subscribe to the Grails Podcast:
http://hansamann.podspot.de/rss

Re: need to export to excel

Frank Rocco-3
Sven,

Thanks for the link.
I will give that a try.

best Regards,

Frank

On Tuesday, May 01, 2007, at 02:37PM, "Sven Haiges" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>I chose http://jexcelapi.sourceforge.net/ for that. Easy API, just works.
>there are examples online...
>
>cheers\
>sven
>On 5/1/07, Babelex <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Whoops forgot the hypelink : http://www.editgrid.com
>>
>> On 5/1/07, Babelex <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > There is also another way :
>> >
>> > Use EditGrid's Soap API to write the information to an online
>> > spreadsheet, this is then automatically available as an Excel file via
>> > the permalink with a .xls exension.
>> >
>> > I may be to convoluted for your use, depends on the context.
>> >
>> > --
>> > regards
>> > Al
>> > http://www.folknology.com/index.html
>> > #OpenSource means free to innovate#
>> >

>> --
>> regards
>> Al
>> http://www.folknology.com/index.html
>> #OpenSource means free to innovate#

>--
>Sven Haiges
>[hidden email]
>
>Skype: hansamann
>Personal Homepage, Wiki & Blog: http://www.svenhaiges.de
>
>Subscribe to the Grails Podcast:
>http://hansamann.podspot.de/rss

Re: need to export to excel

Frank Rocco-3
Hello,

In a grails controller, do I need to import the libraries:
import java.io.File;
import java.util.Date;
import jxl.*;
import jxl.write.*;

like this?

Thanks

Frank

On Tuesday, May 01, 2007, at 02:37PM, "Sven Haiges" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>I chose http://jexcelapi.sourceforge.net/ for that. Easy API, just works.
>there are examples online...
>
>cheers\
>sven
>On 5/1/07, Babelex <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Whoops forgot the hypelink : http://www.editgrid.com
>>
>> On 5/1/07, Babelex <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > There is also another way :
>> >
>> > Use EditGrid's Soap API to write the information to an online
>> > spreadsheet, this is then automatically available as an Excel file via
>> > the permalink with a .xls exension.
>> >
>> > I may be to convoluted for your use, depends on the context.
>> >
>> > --
>> > regards
>> > Al
>> > http://www.folknology.com/index.html
>> > #OpenSource means free to innovate#
>> >

>> --
>> regards
>> Al
>> http://www.folknology.com/index.html
>> #OpenSource means free to innovate#

>--
>Sven Haiges
>[hidden email]
>
>Skype: hansamann
>Personal Homepage, Wiki & Blog: http://www.svenhaiges.de
>
>Subscribe to the Grails Podcast:
>http://hansamann.podspot.de/rss

Re: need to export to excel

james_027
hi,

yes frank, and I have a complete sample if you like

hth
james
Frank Rocco-3 wrote

On Tuesday, May 01, 2007, at 02:37PM, "Sven Haiges" <sven.haiges@googlemail.com> wrote:
>I chose http://jexcelapi.sourceforge.net/ for that. Easy API, just works.
>there are examples online...
>
>cheers\
>sven
>On 5/1/07, Babelex <babelex@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Whoops forgot the hypelink : http://www.editgrid.com
>>
>> On 5/1/07, Babelex <babelex@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > There is also another way :
>> >
>> > Use EditGrid's Soap API to write the information to an online
>> > spreadsheet, this is then automatically available as an Excel file via
>> > the permalink with a .xls exension.
>> >
>> > I may be to convoluted for your use, depends on the context.
>> >
>> > --
>> > regards
>> > Al
>> > http://www.folknology.com/index.html
>> > #OpenSource means free to innovate#
>> >

>> --
>> regards
>> Al
>> http://www.folknology.com/index.html
>> #OpenSource means free to innovate#

>--
>Sven Haiges
>sven.haiges@googlemail.com
>
>Skype: hansamann
>Personal Homepage, Wiki & Blog: http://www.svenhaiges.de
>
>Subscribe to the Grails Podcast:
>http://hansamann.podspot.de/rss

Re: need to export to excel

Frank Rocco-3
Hi James,

Yes,  I would love to see your sample.

Can you email it to me?

Frank

On May 1, 2007, at 9:38 PM, james_027 wrote:

> hi,
>
> yes frank, and I have a complete sample if you like
>
> hth
> james
>
> Frank Rocco-3 wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> In a grails controller, do I need to import the libraries:
>> import java.io.File;
>> import java.util.Date;
>> import jxl.*;
>> import jxl.write.*;
>>
>> like this?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Frank
>>

>> On Tuesday, May 01, 2007, at 02:37PM, "Sven Haiges"
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I chose http://jexcelapi.sourceforge.net/ for that. Easy API,
>>> just works.
>>> there are examples online...
>>>
>>> cheers\
>>> sven

>>> --
>>> Sven Haiges
>>> [hidden email]
>>>
>>> Skype: hansamann
>>> Personal Homepage, Wiki & Blog: http://www.svenhaiges.de
>>>
>>> Subscribe to the Grails Podcast:
>>> http://hansamann.podspot.de/rss

Re: need to export to excel

a.shneyderman
On 5/1/07, Frank Rocco <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> In a grails controller, do I need to import the libraries:
> import java.io.File;
> import java.util.Date;
> import jxl.*;
> import jxl.write.*;
>
> like this?

controller is just a groovy class, so everything that applies to groovy
class will apply to a controller. Groovy will import few packages and
two classes by default. The rest will need to be imported by you. The
list of things imported by default can be found here:

http://groovy.codehaus.org/Scripts+and+Classes

Groovy also imports java.math.BigDecimal and java.math.BigInteger
for some reason those are not on the list.

Re: need to export to excel

Sven Haiges
i would suggest to factor the excel rep√ľorting into a service.

Cheers
sven