permgen space error - when I debug using STS 2.5.1 / Grails 1.3.6

permgen space error - when I debug using STS 2.5.1 / Grails 1.3.6

Roshan Dawrani
Hi,

I need to debug an issue, but in debug mode, by the time it reaches the point of my interest, I start getting "permgen space error"

I am getting this error when the server is started for functional tests.

I have tried increasing "-XX:MaxPermSize" in startGrails.bat, but it hasn't helped.

Anyone has any suggestions?

I haven't seen how Grails re-starts the server for functional tests - am I increasing the "-XX:MaxPermSize" at the right place?

I don't get this error in normal mode. I get it only in debug mode.

--
Roshan
Blog: http://roshandawrani.wordpress.com/
Skype: roshandawrani

Re: permgen space error - when I debug using STS 2.5.1 / Grails 1.3.6

micke_
Have you created a new Run Configuration? If not try that.

On 14 January 2011 14:16, Roshan Dawrani <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I need to debug an issue, but in debug mode, by the time it reaches the
> point of my interest, I start getting "permgen space error"
>
> I am getting this error when the server is started for functional tests.
>
> I have tried increasing "-XX:MaxPermSize" in startGrails.bat, but it hasn't
> helped.
>
> Anyone has any suggestions?
>
> I haven't seen how Grails re-starts the server for functional tests - am I
> increasing the "-XX:MaxPermSize" at the right place?
>
> I don't get this error in normal mode. I get it only in debug mode.
>
> --
> Roshan
> Blog: http://roshandawrani.wordpress.com/
> Twitter: @roshandawrani
> Skype: roshandawrani

Re: permgen space error - when I debug using STS 2.5.1 / Grails 1.3.6

Roshan Dawrani
I am not launching grails from within STS...I am launching it from command line and for source debugging I am attaching STS to it.

I shouldn't be needing a new Run Configuration there, should I?

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 8:03 PM, Mikael Andersson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Have you created a new Run Configuration? If not try that.

On 14 January 2011 14:16, Roshan Dawrani <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to debug an issue, but in debug mode, by the time it reaches the
> point of my interest, I start getting "permgen space error"
>
> I am getting this error when the server is started for functional tests.
>
> I have tried increasing "-XX:MaxPermSize" in startGrails.bat, but it hasn't
> helped.
>
> Anyone has any suggestions?
>
> I haven't seen how Grails re-starts the server for functional tests - am I
> increasing the "-XX:MaxPermSize" at the right place?
>
> I don't get this error in normal mode. I get it only in debug mode.
>
> --
> Roshan
> Blog: http://roshandawrani.wordpress.com/
> Twitter: @roshandawrani
> Skype: roshandawrani

Re: permgen space error - when I debug using STS 2.5.1 / Grails 1.3.6

micke_
Nope you shouldn't.

Try adding it to GRAILS_OPTIONS

set GRAILS_OPTIONS=--XX:MaxPermSize=128m

That might work.

On 14 January 2011 14:40, Roshan Dawrani <[hidden email]> wrote:
I am not launching grails from within STS...I am launching it from command line and for source debugging I am attaching STS to it.

I shouldn't be needing a new Run Configuration there, should I?

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 8:03 PM, Mikael Andersson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Have you created a new Run Configuration? If not try that.

On 14 January 2011 14:16, Roshan Dawrani <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to debug an issue, but in debug mode, by the time it reaches the
> point of my interest, I start getting "permgen space error"
>
> I am getting this error when the server is started for functional tests.
>
> I have tried increasing "-XX:MaxPermSize" in startGrails.bat, but it hasn't
> helped.
>
> Anyone has any suggestions?
>
> I haven't seen how Grails re-starts the server for functional tests - am I
> increasing the "-XX:MaxPermSize" at the right place?
>
> I don't get this error in normal mode. I get it only in debug mode.
>
> --
> Roshan
> Blog: http://roshandawrani.wordpress.com/
> Twitter: @roshandawrani
> Skype: roshandawrani

Re: permgen space error - when I debug using STS 2.5.1 / Grails 1.3.6

micke_
Ops an extra '-' snuck in infront of XX:.

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 8:18 PM, Mikael Andersson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Nope you shouldn't.

Try adding it to GRAILS_OPTIONS

set GRAILS_OPTIONS=--XX:MaxPermSize=128m

That might work.

I already did that in startGrails.bat. I set it to 256M. That should take effect for server used in functional tests too, right?

Does Grails fork a separate JVM for functional tests?

Is setting it in startGrails.bat alright?

Re: permgen space error - when I debug using STS 2.5.1 / Grails 1.3.6

micke_
I'd personally set it in GRAILS_OPTIONS myself, so I don't have to update startGrails.bat when upgrading the grails version.

Not sure what happens when the functioal tests are run but you could connect jvisualvm to the grails process and check how much memory it has and monitor the memory usage while the tests are executed.

The only way I use the MaxPermSize parameter is via a Run Configuration in STS and in CATALINA_OPTS and there it works fine.

Good luck :)

On 14 January 2011 14:53, Roshan Dawrani <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 8:18 PM, Mikael Andersson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Nope you shouldn't.

Try adding it to GRAILS_OPTIONS

set GRAILS_OPTIONS=--XX:MaxPermSize=128m

That might work.

I already did that in startGrails.bat. I set it to 256M. That should take effect for server used in functional tests too, right?

Does Grails fork a separate JVM for functional tests?

Is setting it in startGrails.bat alright?

Skype: roshandawrani

Re: permgen space error - when I debug using STS 2.5.1 / Grails 1.3.6

Graeme Rocher
Administrator
Are you using "run-war"? If so this forks the process, there are configurations parameters you can pass for the forked JVM

Cheers

http://www.springsource.com

Re: permgen space error - when I debug using STS 2.5.1 / Grails 1.3.6

Roshan Dawrani
I am just doing "grails test-app" and in debug mode, by the time it reaches functional tests, I start getting permgen errors.

Increasing the "-XX:MaxPermSize" in startGrails.bat has not helped.

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 9:02 PM, Graeme Rocher <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Skype: roshandawrani

Re: permgen space error - when I debug using STS 2.5.1 / Grails 1.3.6

Andrew Eisenberg
Roshan,

Just to be sure, this is a permgen in the grails process, not in STS.

We are working on https://issuetracker.springsource.com/browse/STS-1272, which I think would solve your problem.

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 7:35 AM, Roshan Dawrani <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Yes, the error is surely coming in grails process, Andrew.

It is just that it always comes for me when I have STS attached to grails process for debugging. I thought someone might know in both forums about it.