"Down for Maintenance" plugin?

Bill Baran
Does anyone know of a plugin to disable an entire application and display a message to the user?

For example, you learn that an external dependency is offline and, rather than your app tossing an error, you want to display "App currently down for maintenance."

It's also very helpful to be able to schedule this maintenance mode for scheduled maintenance.

Anyone?

Bill Baran

Re: "Down for Maintenance" plugin?

micke_

Hi

You could have a filter which looks at an application scoped variable and issues a forward out reject.
Won't work while you are restarting your app though.

The way I do this is to reconfigure Apache to show a being updated page while I upgrade my app.

Cheers
Micke

On 18 Feb 2015 17:39, "Bill Baran" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Does anyone know of a plugin to disable an entire application and display a message to the user?

For example, you learn that an external dependency is offline and, rather than your app tossing an error, you want to display "App currently down for maintenance."

It's also very helpful to be able to schedule this maintenance mode for scheduled maintenance.

Anyone?

Bill Baran

Re: "Down for Maintenance" plugin?

micke_
Wrote that on a phone and didn't notice auto correction gone wrong.
Meant to say "issues a forward or redirect"

On 18 February 2015 at 19:22, Mikael Andersson <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Yeah that's how we're doing it now.
It's fine when you control the whole system.

My situation is more like:
- User tells the Front Office about an outage.
- Front Office asks Admin to put app in maintenance
- Admin tells Front Office it's been done.
- Admin may tell PM or User that it's been completed.

Now repeat that process once the resource is back online.
You can probably see how a tool the front office could use to put things into maintenance would save a lot of time and greatly improve customer service.

I have no problem making the plugin myself. I just wanted to make sure one didn't exist already after my searches didn't turn anything up.
Seems like it would be a common issue though.

Bill